Microsoft Document Imaging crashes (Office 2003)

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Microsoft Document Imaging crashes (Office 2003)

Post by IanWilson »

When I've tried to use MS document imaging today, it has been crashing in certain circumstances.

I opened the program, and wanted to open a .mdi file, so I clicked the File menu, and immediately got the message that the program had encountered a problem and needed to close. Having started it again, and the same thing having happened a few times, I find that

- I can open a file if I click the file open button, but if I try to do it via the File menu it crashes.

- I can print a file, but only by clicking the print button - it crashes if I try to get Print from the File menu.

- I can access any of the menus using the Alt key followed by the appropriate underlined letter such as T for Tools, except the File menu and that crashes it.

- I can also use the mouse for any of the menus except the File menu, which crashes it.

Any suggestions? Should I perhaps use Add and Remove programmes in Control Panel to remove that Office component and reinstall it?

Ian

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Re: Microsoft Document Imaging crashes (Office 2003)

Post by IanWilson »

OK - I think I have solved my own problem, or at least got a workaround. I asked in the Lounge first (of course!), but then went Googling.

Here I found a suggestion about using a .reg file to reset the recent file list (which did have some very long file names in it). I have done that and it now seems to be OK. But it seems to be a bit of a nuisance to have to keep doing that. As soon as I opened one of the .mdi files with a long name again, of course it found its way on to the recent file list, caused the same behaviour, and I had to use the .reg file again.

I'm not sure how to implement the other suggestion, of disabling the recent file list altogether. I can't imagine much needing the recent file list in this particular application, so that wouldn't be too much of a hardship, but how would I do it?

And is there a more permanent fix?

Ian