sharepoint subscription playing games with harried IT person

garbsmj
4StarLounger

sharepoint subscription playing games with harried IT person

Post by garbsmj »

Please point me to a handy-dandy website if there is one, or else maybe someone knows? Here's the issue - I have two subscriptions representing reports that are sent to me at 7:am. I'm testing this out before sending them out to the end users.

A few weeks ago, I noticed report A had no data. So I checked Report B. Data. Okay. I go back and run report A on sharepoint - data. Next day, Report A - no data. Report B - Data. A few days later - report A has data, report B - no data. Repeat process. Yep, both reports have data.

Could this because both reports are running at 7am and then interfering with the completion of one of the reports? I need to resolve this because somewhere down the line we're going to have several hundred reports being sent out to end users and nobody wants a blank report and 15 phone calls. I do have subscriptions set up within sharepoint that push snapshot reports out to a folder and have never seen this. Only the emails. :scratch:
When one cat leaves, another mysteriously shows up.

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: sharepoint subscription playing games with harried IT pe

Post by Rudi »

garbsmj wrote:Could this because both reports are running at 7am and then interfering with the completion of one of the reports?
Have you tested this theory by setting up the reports to run with a delay between each report?
Worth a try....
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

How are the reports being created? Access services or Excel services or JavaScript or ???
What version of SharePoint? Up-to-date with service packs & patched?
Do both reports access the same source data?

Joe
Joe

garbsmj
4StarLounger

Post by garbsmj »

Hey Joe - the reports are created using sharepoint subscription services on a sharepoint 2010 installation. Both reports use the same data source.

Rudi - I split them up for report A to run at 7:00am and report B running at 7:01am. It seemed to work. However, need a better solution since we will have 100s of reports needed to be run. One would think that sharepoint could handle this.

garbsmj
4StarLounger

Post by garbsmj »

Okay - figured out what the issue was and it's a combination of the run time and other traffic on the server. So by timing it right, now it's working. Thanks Rudi and Joe!

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Glad you came right. :smile:
TX for the feedback!
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.