Outlook Spam Fillter

armsys
2StarLounger

Outlook Spam Fillter

Post by armsys »

Is there any way to write a regex-based macro filter out incoming email spams?
Currently the rule in Outlook is very cumbersome and tedious to maintain. It doesn't support regex.
Regards,
Armstrong

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Re: Outlook Spam Fillter

Post by agibsonsw »

There is sample code here at SO, and other links. It does mention that Outlook rules can use wildcard characters (which would be simpler than regex, if suitable) but I don't have Outlook running to check this.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

armsys
2StarLounger

Post by armsys »

agibsonsw wrote:There is sample code here at SO, and other links. It does mention that Outlook rules can use wildcard characters (which would be simpler than regex, if suitable) but I don't have Outlook running to check this.
Hi agibsonsw,
Appreciate your fast reply. At least you point me to a useful starting point.
I still resist the temptation of using 3rd party antispam tools such as MailWasher. These tools often degrade the overall system performance.
I prefer to write my own scripts.
BTW, I have just tested % as mentioned in your supplied link. Indeed, '%' still works in Outlook 2013, instead of '*'. I'm surprised.
Thanks again for your help.
Regards,
Armstrong

armsys
2StarLounger

Post by armsys »

Hi agibsonsw,
How could you instantly locate the link?
Do you store these links in your knowledge base database?
Regards,
Armstrong

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

The first thing I Googled was "outlook regex spam filter" and this is the first result :grin:, but I suppose it takes time and practice to know what to search, and what order to use.

The last post in that page also mentions why % is used rather than *. Good luck.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

armsys
2StarLounger

Post by armsys »

agibsonsw wrote:The first thing I Googled was "outlook regex spam filter" and this is the first result :grin:, but I suppose it takes time and practice to know what to search, and what order to use.
Hi Agibsonw,
Thanks for "leaking" your fast search secret to me.
Thanks again for your help.
Regards,
Armstrong