can't delete a (free) MS Teams organisation

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

can't delete a (free) MS Teams organisation

Post by stuck »

Some time during one of the UK lockdowns I investigated running MS Teams on my home PC. Att he time MS didn't seem to allow Teams for personal use, so I invented an organisation and that allowed me to sign in. I then never used MS Teams on my home PC.

MS Teams has progressed since then and the current client allows you to sign in for personal use, you use your MS account email address. When I do that I can see that the dummy organisation I created is also available to me. I can switch between the two accounts. Since the dummy org. account is redundant I'd like to delete it. According to this page:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/off ... 15a8f6a6b9
that can be done.

Step one, removing team members was easy but I've hit a brick wall with step 2. When I use the 'go here' link on that page to get my admin email address I land on a sign in page. However, when I use the email address associated with the dummy org, i.e. I use the same email address that allows me to switch to the account with Teams, the page responds with 'we've no record of that email address'. If I try my MS account email address then it asks for the password but hen thinks for a while before saying 'access denied'.

Anybody got any suggestions?

Ken

LineLaline
2StarLounger

Re: can't delete a (free) MS Teams organisation

Post by LineLaline »

I have had exactly that same problem. I 'fixed' it last year by finally uninstalling it. I also noticed that logging into the admin environment can often be a pain in other browsers than Microsoft Edge. So that's what i now use for anything related to that account.
Also: could it be that one of the members (AKA you) were using that email address and that this creates a conflict when you log in?
Have you tried removing all passwords for teams in the browser and trying to log in after that?
Ceci n'est pas une signature.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I've got over the 'no record of that email address' part of the problem, by adding the email as an alias in my MS account but now I get the same 'access denied' message as I do using my primary email address.

I've also tried using Edge (rather than my default Firefox), it didn't make any difference.

I think I'll just live with this redundant / dummy org. being listed within Teams.

Ken

LineLaline
2StarLounger

Post by LineLaline »

It's a pain though, right? I ended up deleting that email address so at some point Microsoft would just boot it out 😊 They are not big on sending unwanted emails though (which is good), so this might take some time. But I can't even say I can wait because it's out of my hands now 😊
Ceci n'est pas une signature.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Not really a pain, more a case of 'Microsoft Mysteriousness'.

I've got other Teams weirdness as well, which may or may not be related to this dummy organisation I created but could be something to do with the fact that Teams on Win 8.1 is subtly different to Teams on Win 10, even though both clients report the same version number. Or something to do with the limited capabilities of the free version of Teams compared to the Enterprise version I got very familiar with when I was in paid employment.

Meanwhile Skype works for me (on Win 8.1 and Win 10) so I guess I'll stick with that for the few occasions I need video calling.

Ken