1760 yards

Jezza
5StarLounger

1760 yards

Post by Jezza »

Back to one of my favourite subjects...running. :flee:

I am currently training for a 100 km (62 miles) race which is to be done on a running track within 12 hours. As I am primarily a trail and woodland runner I am going through a "conversion" process of retraining to run on a track.

I normally wear a Garmin GPS tracker that determines, amongst other things my distance, time taken and speed I have it currently set at Miles. However now I am running a 400 metre track there is (apparently) a disparity between metric and imperial.

We all know that

- 1760 yards = 1609.34 metres
- A running track (inside lane) = 400 metres

So why when I reach the end of 1600 metres, or 4 laps, does my GPS unit "Beep" to tell me a mile has been completed, I mean exactly, so why the disparity of 9.34 metres?

I was running at a set pace of 1 Lap (400 m) = 2:01 mins consistently.

So to the question; Is what causes the disparity?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jerry
I’ll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there’s evidence of any thinking going on inside it

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: 1760 yards

Post by JoeP »

Accuracy of the GPS unit?

Joe
Joe

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Did you measure the running track yourself?

Maybe it was built as a 1/4 mile running track, and they simply call it 400 meters to pretend that it is a standard size.
StuartR

steveh
SilverLounger

Post by steveh »

Hi Jezza

Could you be running further than you think by changing lanes or are you consistently staying in the same lane?
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin

Jezza
5StarLounger

Post by Jezza »

All interesting points...

Joe - I use a Garmin ForeRunner 305 which is pretty well accurate but it has been questionable on circuits before. In one race I did it measured 36 miles instead of 37 :hairout:

Stuart - I checked this and it has callibration plates on all the major points

Steve - An interesting point about deviation causing extra length, I run in the inside half of the inside track, I suppose there could be a potential for extra distance. The question begs how accurate are these GPS devices?

A little maths tells me I travel around the track in 120 seconds so my speed is 3.33 metres per second or 10 feet p/s, could the combination of the above items and my speed be the reason?
Jerry
I’ll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there’s evidence of any thinking going on inside it

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'd ask professor Al Bear Einstein whether it could be caused by Relativity. When you're running, time goes slower, and ... :flee:
Best wishes,
Hans

steveh
SilverLounger

Post by steveh »

Hi Jezza

I had a little Google as I am sure that you did and read some interesting accounts of people wearing this device for Iron Man competions (other sexes are available), people that have tested the accuracy in Rain, under tree's, at night etc. and all reports seem to conclude that they are very accurate.

If you are not already a member there seems to be an active group on Yahoo for the Forerunner http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/GarminF/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The point about speed (and that is one of the features I love with the lounge is I just saw the Al Bear message pop up) is that to my nind it cannot make a differnce because the sat nav on your car measures how far you have gone by GPRS irrespective of the speed it took to get there?
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

jezza wrote:An interesting point about deviation causing extra length, I run in the inside half of the inside track, I suppose there could be a potential for extra distance. The question begs how accurate are these GPS devices?
My understanding is that they are only accurate to with a few metres - maybe 5-10. If you run in a straight line for 1,000M, 5M is not going to make a lot of difference. However, if you run around in a circle and the GPS system locates/tracks you 5M inside that circumference, there is room for a lot of error (depending on the circumference of the track, of course).
Leif

Jezza
5StarLounger

Post by Jezza »

Oh yes indeed, the only time they go really crazy, apart from the newest devices, is when you go into heavily built up areas when the satellite signal can come confused and bounce off all the high rises.

I have always wondered though what for want of a word or phrase "the pixel definition" or grid measurement is if it is 30 feet(~10 metres) then this could be the reason why there is this anomaly and the question is just snow.

Hans, OMG, if I got Al Bear Einstein onto this question Jezza Bear would drown in Cocoa (with extra marshmallows) for the length of time he would be theorising.
Jerry

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

Does this help (or hinder)

Also see here (about halfway down the page in the "training" section) and here (which suggests you stop waving your arms about, I think :grin: . Maybe the vibration from the chainsaw...)
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

jezza wrote:... I run in the inside half of the inside track, I suppose there could be a potential for extra distance.
Try this thought experiment: A piece of string wrapped around the world. Of the order of 24,000 miles long, right? Now raise the string off the ground by one inch, all around the world (using small toothpicks). How much more string will you need? Surprisingly:
Spoiler
About 6 inches
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

jezza wrote:... or 4 laps, does my GPS unit "Beep" to ... why the disparity of 9.34 metres?
Out of interest, what happens at the end of your 8th lap? Are you out by 18.68 metres? After 12 laps?
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

Maybe it is due to the Sun, or a fellow ultrarunner is jamming you. :grin:
Tony

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
jezza wrote:... I run in the inside half of the inside track, I suppose there could be a potential for extra distance.
Try this thought experiment: A piece of string wrapped around the world. Of the order of 24,000 miles long, right? Now raise the string off the ground by one inch, all around the world (using small toothpicks). How much more string will you need? Surprisingly:
Spoiler
About 6 inches
What color ( colour ) toothpicks? :clever:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

jezza wrote: So to the question; Is what causes the disparity?
You being so curious that you bothered to check, would be the root cause of the disparity. IMHO, of course. :rofl:
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

Jezza
5StarLounger

Post by Jezza »

Doc Watson wrote:
You being so curious that you bothered to check, would be the root cause of the disparity. IMHO, of course. :rofl:
:grin:

I have a new theory but I have to check a couple of things first :newbrain:
Jerry

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

jezza wrote:
Doc Watson wrote:
:grin:

I have a new theory but I have to check a couple of things first :newbrain:
I don't what it does to bears, but I've heard curiosity killed the cat. :groan:
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

Jezza
5StarLounger

Post by Jezza »

I have theory this may have something to do with it WAAS
Jerry

johbot
2StarLounger

Post by johbot »

StuartR wrote:Did you measure the running track yourself?

Maybe it was built as a 1/4 mile running track, and they simply call it 400 meters to pretend that it is a standard size.
In the lead up to the 2000 Olympi Games in Sydney, there was a TV series called The Games. One episode of that concerned the length of the 100 metre track. It was very funny.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

ChrisGreaves wrote:Try this thought experiment: A piece of string wrapped around the world. Of the order of 24,000 miles long, right? Now raise the string off the ground by one inch, all around the world (using small toothpicks). How much more string will you need? Surprisingly: About 6 inches.
It's actually 2Ï€" ~= 6.28". Quite easily worked out as the difference between the two circumferences 2Ï€r1-2Ï€r2.
Since r1-r2 is 1 inch, then the difference in circumferences is 2 x π x 1 ".
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...