full moon

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

full moon

Post by stuck »

Noticed the full moon as I drove home to night. Once I got home, I put my camera on a tripod and after a bit of trial and error on the exposure was able to crop this out of the middle of one of the frames.

Ken
Canon 400D, Tamron 55-200 zoom at 200mm, ISO 400, 1/125sec at f5.6. Crop and level tweaks with Canon DPP software.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: full moon

Post by viking33 »

Nice shot, Ken.
Good work!
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Looks like cheese, Gromit. :munch:

Nice, indeed good work.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Are you sure it's the right way up?
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Argus wrote:Looks like cheese, Gromit. :munch:

Nice, indeed good work.
You took the Wensleydale right out of my mouth :laugh:
Leif

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

:laugh:

Now I'm hungry.
http://www.britishcheese.com/snacks/wen ... iabatta-41" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Excellent shot, Ken! (And yes, it's the right side up, John)
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Beautifully done, Ken!

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

stuck wrote:Noticed the full moon as I drove home to night. Once I got home, I put my camera on a tripod and after a bit of trial and error on the exposure was able to crop this out of the middle of one of the frames.

Ken
Canon 400D, Tamron 55-200 zoom at 200mm, ISO 400, 1/125sec at f5.6. Crop and level tweaks with Canon DPP software.
You sure do have a talent for taking excellent pics! Well done!
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Thank you for all your praise but having looked at the original file, I'm not that impressed with the quality of the picture. The camera was on a tripod and I fired the shutter with a remote release so the camera should have been rock steady but the image doesn't seem to be sharp, as if the camera autofocus is off and/or lens aberrations are more obvious than I would expect.

Ken

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

stuck wrote: as if the camera autofocus is off
Er, how does autofocus work on something that is, on average, 385,000kms away. Since this is about 1.282 light-seconds, it would take 2 1/2 seconds for infrared light to bounce off, even if your camera had the power to send it that far ... :cheers:

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I assume that AutoFocus will focus on 'infinity' if the signal doesn't return.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

HansV wrote:I assume that AutoFocus will focus on 'infinity' if the signal doesn't return.
Err, wot Hans said

Ken

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

I think most modern SLR cameras (such as Ken's Canon) use passive autofocus rather than active, so the return time from the Moon isn't actually a problem :) (look here)

What's more likely to have happened is that that pesky Moon just wouldn't stay still and insisted on orbiting the Earth during your exposure (although it wouldn't get far in 1/125th of a second...) or atmospheric disturbances blurred the shot. Especially a problem as a yellow moon is low down in the sky and the layer of atmosphere that you're shooting through is thick.

Either way, it's a great shot and while your search for perfection is admirable it's impossible to achieve when nature conspires against you...

(I'm reminded of my son (the photographer) who's going to email us the pictures he took of a walled garden at my other son's wedding in September, as soon as he finishes processing them (he always shoots in RAW) my wife just wants to see the bloomin' pictures!!))
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Revisiting this image with nearly eight years more post-processing experience and far superior photo editing software I've come up with this version.

Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The moon has become a lot more detailed in those eight years! :grin: :thumbup:
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

HansV wrote:
07 Nov 2020, 19:10
The moon has become a lot more detailed in those eight years! :grin: :thumbup:
It's because of the meteorite impacts... :innocent:
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Another, "Well done, Ken!"

So, the moon must be made of cheese as it seems to have aged so well. :fanfare: :fanfare: :flee:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Post by Graeme »

Nice Lunar image Ken. What software did you use to process it?

Did you see the full Moon last week? It was a blue one!

Regards

Graeme

http://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Graeme wrote:
08 Nov 2020, 09:07
Nice Lunar image Ken. What software did you use to process it?
The image was captured using a Canon 400D, Tamron 55-200 zoom at 200mm, ISO 400, 1/125sec at f5.6. In DSLR terms it was a dinosaur even back in 2012 when I took this shot.

The version in my original post was processed using Canon's DPP (v3) software, it was all I had at the time.

This new version was processed using DxO Photolab 3, employing their PRIME noise reduction, lens corrections, contrast, clarity, etc. and a bit of unsharp mask for good measure. The TIF that produced was then passed to Photoshop CS2 (yes, an ancient version but it didn't cost me anything) where I applied a little bit more sharpening using PS's 'smart sharpen' feature.

I have the trial version of DxO PL4 that has even better noise reduction in the form of 'DeepPRIME'. If, like yesterday, it stays foggy all day, I might re-process this image again using this new noise reduction algorithm to see if I can see a difference.

I did see last week's full moon but there was some cloud so I didn't photograph it. However, having poked at this image again, which came from a lowly Canon 400D, I think the next time there is a full moon and clear skies I will try again with my Canon 90D.

Ken