Winter Olympics

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Winter Olympics

Post by Bigaldoc »

My Lord, they haven't even had the opening ceremonies yet and tragedy strikes. From my local newspaper:

Official confirms death of Olympic luger

Goshute
3StarLounger

Re: Winter Olympics

Post by Goshute »

Bigaldoc wrote:they haven't even had the opening ceremonies yet and tragedy strikes.
Apparently the track is quite controversial: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/fe ... tor-killed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Goshute
I float in liquid gardens

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Re: Winter Olympics

Post by Hey Jude »

Goshute wrote:
Bigaldoc wrote:they haven't even had the opening ceremonies yet and tragedy strikes.
Apparently the track is quite controversial: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/fe ... tor-killed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A myriad of thoughts relating to this tragedy come to mind. I'm sure every athlete considers the outside dangerous possibility of death; but chooses to participate for some reasons known only to themselves. My initial reaction was outrage in reading numerous articles relating to this particular course. Naturally, as an avid fan of NASCAR knows, the risks are a "clear and present danger" to each of the drivers. My finite mind would like to believe that those in the engineering of these courses would take into consideration that there are true amateurs whose lives could be hurtling to certain death, dismemberment, disfigurement along with the usual sprains, contusions, and fractures. The gold medal luger even crashed and burned yesterday. One of our gals was knocked out cold. This disturbs me not a little. Thank you Goshute for the article. The opening ceremonies in all their glory were overshadowed by the loss of this precious life. About the only positive thing I feel I can articulate is that this luger lost his life in the performance of his passion. There have been other "greats" who have been lost to us as well. I could go on but I shall rest.
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image