Susquehanna River

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Re: Susquehanna River

Post by Hey Jude »

Chris,

My brother lives across the Bay Bridge in Chestertown, MD and is going to send me the best directions for getting to KOP from that direction if you would so desire to see where your Susquehanna empties :clapping: It's not that much of a detour and if you haven't driven across the bay, you'd be impressed. I was thinking of taking 83 from the Turnpike to York towards Baltimore and then to points NE. It would make your trip more circular :evilgrin: If you check your map, you can see Harrisburg/83/York/Baltimore/Beltway follow towards Bay Bridge signs...but I will get precise routes. They tend to avoid major highways and know every little nook and cranny of the entire tri-state area. Just an idea.
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Hey Jude wrote:... going to send me the best directions for getting to KOP from that direction if you would so desire to see where your Susquehanna empties.
Thanks, HeyJude, but I'm already stretching it by aiming for Harrisburg, having told Ms B that the KOP mall is "just across the border from NY state". I have about a month now to morph that word "just" from making it sound like Bradford PA, (where we have stayed) just due south of Olean NY, Buffalo, NY and Toronto Ont where we live to "A bit beyond Painted Post" (where we have stayed) a couple of miles east of Corning NY.

This is an incremental progress, starting 11 years ago when Ms B thought that "Explore Western NY state" meant staying 3 nights in a motel in Lockport NY, which is closer to Toronto than is Buffalo (Check the relative distances traveled in Ontario vs. in NY state!)

I have a trump card, and have never played it yet. It's one of those "use once and it self-destructs" cards, and it is used as follows:
"Well" (placing hands at 10/2 position on steering-wheel), "Where do you want to go"
"Oh, it doesn't matter"
"OK" (putting gear lever into Drive position and checking mirrors) "OK!".
He who plants a seed, plants life.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

hahaha~~~ Sounds wonderful actually so enjoy and be sure to keep us posted on all your sights-seeing lol :-) KOP IS close to NY lol....just like Chesapeake Bay is close to me (what's a mere 10 hour drive?) It's all relative and trump cards are great!~~!~!
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

This photo was in today's Philadelphia Inquirer Business section. Thought you might like a view of what you are heading into. The accompanying article said that KoP is the largest indoor mall in the eastern US.

On another note, I spoke to a lady friend (read mall shopper) yesterday, and she informed me that there are indeed outlet stores about 15 minutes north of the mall in Oaks, PA. But the major outlet malls in this area are in Reading.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Hey Jude wrote:Ahhhh, the Kinzew :laugh: dam.....we took day trips from the Williamsport area and trekked all over that reservoir...guess when in Kinzoo, you must do as the natives dew....

Kinzua dam has it's own reservoir 800 feet ABOVE the dam, for heaven's sake! I mean, having a reservoir ABOVE a dam has to be weird, even for Pennsylvania, right?
7.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Doc Watson wrote:This photo was in today's Philadelphia Inquirer Business section. ... But the major outlet malls in this area are in Reading.
Thanks Doc.
The photo will mean little to Ms B, but news that there are other, larger, cheaper, nosier, more money-hungry malls nearby escalates my planning to Phase 3.
To wit:-
An extra day in which Ms B prowls another mall, and I slink off in her car to wander along another river ... :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Hey Jude wrote:hahaha~~~ Sounds wonderful actually so enjoy and be sure to keep us posted on all your sights-seeing lol :-) KOP IS close to NY lol....just like Chesapeake Bay is close to me (what's a mere 10 hour drive?) It's all relative and trump cards are great!~~!~!
Nice thread. Brought back lots of memories. My wife's grandparents lived in Palmyra, PA "forever". Her dad graduated from Hershey High School. We used to drive there almost ever summer while her grandparents were alive. Went to the Hershey factory & park many times. I remember the tours when you could actually go through the factory. Our kids loved it. I would highly recommend visiting Gettysburg if any travelers are at all interested in the Civil War. It is particularly eerie if you go early in the morning during the early summer when there is likely to still be fog rolling through. My wife also has many relatives throughout the area and visits some in Emmitsburg about every other year. One thing I could never get used to though was Lebanon Bologna. Still can't stand it. I think you must need some PA Dutch blood to appreciate it. :grin:

Joe
Joe

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

JoeP wrote: My wife's grandparents lived in Palmyra, PA "forever". Her dad graduated from Hershey High School. We used to drive there almost ever summer ...
"ever summer"? Hi Joe. Y'all talkin' with a Suthern accent now (grin!)

Palmyra.
Isn't that the only town in the USA with a church on each corner of an intersection?
i mean, of course, with an intersection with a church on each corner.