not for the faint hearted

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

not for the faint hearted

Post by Dave Davison »

..............for the techie minded, something average Joe will never see. :wine: cheers Dave.

http://www.gillesvidal.com/blogpano/cockpit1.htm

Timelord
4StarLounger

Re: not for the faint hearted

Post by Timelord »

Nice. reminds me of when I was younger. Every time my parents took me up in a plane I asked to see the cockpit. Once it was a 747 and it was one of the most thrilling parts of the vacation that year. I think I was 13 at the time. I remember that we were in flight when I went up there. Guess kids need to look before or after the flight nowadays.
Who will you Inspire today?

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

Timelord wrote:Nice. reminds me of when I was younger. Every time my parents took me up in a plane I asked to see the cockpit. Once it was a 747 and it was one of the most thrilling parts of the vacation that year. I think I was 13 at the time. I remember that we were in flight when I went up there. Guess kids need to look before or after the flight nowadays.
Not if your flying on a Twotter!

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Dave Davison wrote:..............for the techie minded, something average Joe will never see. :wine: cheers Dave.

Nice....impressive view. I'm not a pilot, of course, but I could never understand why the flight crew doesn't have a better view FORWARD, out the front windows, as compared to the side windows?
I know radar and all is looking out there but it would seem to be an aid to be able to actually see out the front? Kind of like taking the seat out of your car and sitting on the floorboards and then trying to drive more than ten feet without hitting something.
As I said, I'm not a pilot obviously.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

viking33 wrote:
Dave Davison wrote:..............for the techie minded, something average Joe will never see. :wine: cheers Dave.

Nice....impressive view. I'm not a pilot, of course, but I could never understand why the flight crew doesn't have a better view FORWARD, out the front windows, as compared to the side windows?
I know radar and all is looking out there but it would seem to be an aid to be able to actually see out the front? Kind of like taking the seat out of your car and sitting on the floorboards and then trying to drive more than ten feet without hitting something.
As I said, I'm not a pilot obviously.
Bob - Did you notice the TV screen on the centre consul? There's a camera on the top of the tail giving a nice bird's eye view.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Dave Davison wrote:..............for the techie minded, something average Joe will never see.
So, if I understand it, when those tiddly little tractors push the Airbus away from the gate, they really are just backing up the laptop?
He who plants a seed, plants life.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Dave Davison wrote:..............for the techie minded, something average Joe will never see.
P.S. Nice to see they have a holder for the Tim Horton's coffee cups, but where the heck do you find a drive-through at 32,000 feet?
2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

viking33 wrote:... I could never understand why the flight crew doesn't have a better view FORWARD, out the front windows, as compared to the side windows?
Perhaps because a mid-air collision is more likely to arrive from the side.

I think if a plane approached you at 0º you'd probably never know about it.
If a plane approached you from 170º , essentially traveling parallel to you, or from 90º you'd have a chance to do something about it.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Bowlie wrote:Bob - Did you notice the TV screen on the centre consul? There's a camera on the top of the tail giving a nice bird's eye view.
There's another queer thing.
Why do they have the gas pedal on the right-hand side of the console and the brake pedal on the left?
(G&DR)

Timelord
4StarLounger

Post by Timelord »

I want to know just how many cups of coffee the navigator really needs!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Who will you Inspire today?

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Timelord wrote:I want to know just how many cups of coffee the navigator really needs!
Two pairs of binoculars, obviously.
It's a navigator, and they always like to be the first to scream "I can see a Tim Horton's!"

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Bowlie, said:
Bob - Did you notice the TV screen on the centre consul? There's a camera on the top of the tail giving a nice bird's eye view.
-------------------------------
That's because the pilots are trained by using a video game screen.
Microsoft Flight Simulator?
Charles Lindbergh also flew the Atlantic solo without ANY front windshield in his plane but you might think there would be be some improvement by now?
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
P.S. Nice to see they have a holder for the Tim Horton's coffee cups, but where the heck do you find a drive-through at 32,000 feet?
2.png
Chris,
That is the onboard printer, you can see some of the paper sticking out. :grin: The cup holders are on the out sides of the seats on the wall area.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

johjue
Lounger

Post by johjue »

Nice find, Dave!

Thanks for sharing this. I enjoyed it very much, and intend to show it to the grandsons.

John

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

DaveA wrote:That is the onboard printer, you can see some of the paper sticking out.
Napkin dispenser, Dave, NAPKIN DISPENSER! :laugh:
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on 17 May 2011, 11:25, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

John.............I did not FIND it..it (like most of the others I come by) are sent to me by email. Here is the latest from the same guy; [Typical of what are known here as Irish jokes] no offense intended as many such jokes are attributed to comedians like Frank Carson who was a true comic and one of the best.

Mick and Paddy had promised their uncle Seamus, who had been a seafaring gent all his life, to bury him at sea when he died.
Of course, in due time, he did pass away and the boys kept their promise.
They set off with Uncle Seamus all stitched up in a burial bag and loaded onto their rowboat. After a while Mick says, 'Do yer tink dis is fer enuff out, Paddy?'
Without a word Paddy slips over the side only to find himself standing in water up to his knees.'
Dis'll never do, Mick. Let's row some more.'
After a bit more rowing Paddy slips over the side again but the water is only up to his belly, so they row on.
Again Mick asks Paddy, 'Do yer tink dis is fer enuff out Paddy?'
Once again Paddy slips over the side and almost immediately says, 'No dis'll neva do.'
The water was only up to his chest.
So on they row and row and row and finally Paddy slips over the side and disappears. Quite a bit of time goes by and poor Mick is really getting himself into a state when suddenly Paddy breaks the surface gasping for breath.
'Well is it deep enuff yet, Paddy?'
WAIT FOR IT

'Aye'tis,

NOW hand me dat shovel.'

loads more if they appeal to anyone and offend no-one.