Sensitivity

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Sensitivity

Post by John Gray »

A friend of mine has just received a credit-card-sized piece of card from her Majesty' s Revenue and Customs containing his user Id, so that he can sign on to the Government Gateway to complete his tax return online.

The User Id consists of twelve numbers.

Lower down and to the right, in a small font, are the words "Not Case Sensitive"... :confused:
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: Sensitivity

Post by Bigaldoc »

Hmmmm...

Lower case: 8

Upper case: 8

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

John Gray wrote:A friend of mine has just received a credit-card-sized piece of card from her Majesty' s Revenue and Customs containing his user Id, so that he can sign on to the Government Gateway to complete his tax return online.

The User Id consists of twelve numbers.

Lower down and to the right, in a small font, are the words "Not Case Sensitive"... :confused:
In defence of HM Revenue & Customs (my employers) I think it only fair to add that some user IDs are a mixture of letters and numbers (my wife's is). I don't know if they are randomly generated, but I imagine that it is too much trouble to suppress the message about not being case-sensitive on cards where by chance the ID is all numbers.

Ian

PS - will you still all let me participate here now that I've admitted to being a tax man?

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

IanWilson wrote:PS - will you still all let me participate here now that I've admitted to being a tax man?
Most certainly! I personally have no problem with HMRC, and in general have great sympathy for their employees considering the ridiculous legislation and software foisted on them by government.

You in particular have my commiserations as you have now opened yourself up to JG picking over any and every document isued by your employers... :smile:
Leif

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

IanWilson wrote:
PS - will you still all let me participate here now that I've admitted to being a tax man?
So that's why I had visions of Robin Hood's episode, "The Taxman Cometh" dancing through my head :duck: :duck: (goose) This also confirms my suspicion about the Dilbert connection :evilgrin: :evilgrin:
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

IanWilson wrote:PS - will you still all let me participate here now that I've admitted to being a tax man?
You could always change your Lounge signature to say: "I'm from the guv'mint and I'm here to help you!"
Last edited by HansV on 04 Apr 2010, 14:06, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to remove linked image that wasn't displayed any longer.

Jezza
5StarLounger

Post by Jezza »

:megashout: AND DON'T.......get me on the subject of the Government Gateway, I was involved in the integration of that particularly complicated portal some years ago and was really happy to send the administration over to the business side of the company, token schmoken... :burnup:
Jerry
I’ll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there’s evidence of any thinking going on inside it

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

HMRC

They've got what it takes to take what you've got.

And in the US- THE IRS (it's not yours)