Crash/Burn

garbsmj
4StarLounger

Crash/Burn

Post by garbsmj »

Okay I got myself into trouble due to my trusting and caring nature vs an international scam and I'm out some money.

The last thing this person did was transfer some money to one of my credit cards which I quickly cancelled. The money's still there as of today. My question is this - since I cancelled the card, can this money transfer still be reversed? I'm certainly not going to use it because I reported the whole sad story to the police and there's a fraud investigation now. I know if this was a check it could bounce but a wire transfer from a bank?

Mom can sure step in it sometimes..... :bummer:
When one cat leaves, another mysteriously shows up.

Leif
Administrator

Re: Crash/Burn

Post by Leif »

garbsmj wrote:The last thing this person did.... ....can this money transfer still be reversed?
By 'this person', do you mean the scammer? If so, I would take advice from the police or your credit card company - they must have a bit of experience with this sort of thing - and otherwise not touch it. Inter-bank transfers can be rescinded, for example, if the original funds were found to be the result of a previous fraud. Personally, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole - just hand it all over to the authorities!
Leif

garbsmj
4StarLounger

Post by garbsmj »

I'm not touching it - I figured that, but when I told the credit card company the customer service rep said it looked legitimate. Still, I know all about stolen money and the law. It doesn't matter if you know or not, the use of the money is a misdemeanor around here.

I doubt this jackass will be caught but I'm doing the best I can. He crossed the wrong momster....

westerneagle
2StarLounger

Post by westerneagle »

Let's not be too quick here.....If it is a LARGE sum of money, let's take it....... you can fly us all to Nigeria and we can find the bum......

Or.....you can buy us all a beer.....

OK, OK, just leave it alone...
Mike J

garbsmj
4StarLounger

Post by garbsmj »

Thanks Mike, for making me laugh. I sure need it right now. I'm just trying to reach the "kick me" sign on my back but I...just....can't...quite....reac...oh, there it is.

Goshute
3StarLounger

Post by Goshute »

garbsmj wrote:The last thing this person did was transfer some money to one of my credit cards which I quickly cancelled. The money's still there as of today. My question is this - since I cancelled the card, can this money transfer still be reversed?
If it's a bank account you can be charged for funds that bounce, but I'm not sure about credit cards - ask you credit card issuer what will happen.
Goshute
I float in liquid gardens

westerneagle
2StarLounger

Post by westerneagle »

garbsmj wrote:Thanks Mike, for making me laugh. I sure need it right now. I'm just trying to reach the "kick me" sign on my back but I...just....can't...quite....reac...oh, there it is.
Aw, don't beat yourself up....it's not your fault...it's theirs!

They are just waiting for someone who really just wants to do good, and wham....we find out that not everyone is like us!

Just make it a learning experience, but don't let it define YOU. Keep looking for the ways you can help others. You will fine it without 'them'

Take Care
Mike J

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

Sorry to learn of your troubles. A sad consequence of living in our world today. :sad:

I was pretty certain I knew the answer regarding transfers, but checked it outto be certain..... " Wire transfers are final payments. Once they have been accepted by the beneficiary's bank in the U.S., they cannot be reversed by the originator without the consent of the beneficiary."

It sounds like your transfer was caught in limbo and the funds were never taken by the criminals. If that is the situation, you will likely get your funds returned. I may take a couple weeks for the paperwork to run through, but it should be returned.
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Doc Watson wrote:It sounds like your transfer was caught in limbo and the funds were never taken by the criminals.
My reading of the OP was that funds were received, not sent...?
Leif

garbsmj
4StarLounger

Post by garbsmj »

Here's the deal. I'll call this jerk Mr. Smith (and all due apologies to Smiths everwhere). Mr. Smith claimed he was stuck with his kid somewhere and asked for a credit card number so that someone else who owed him money could deposit it. So I gave Mr. Smith a credit card number that I could afford to lose. At this point I wasn't trusting Mr. Smith at all. The next day the money showed up. But it didn't actually hit my account so I called the credit card company and they said it was put on hold because it was so large. Then because I explained I needed the money, they released it. So wire transfer or no, I have this chunk of $, a cancelled credit card, a police report and a creepy feeling about the whole thing. And no, Mr. Smith did not get that money. He just got other money from me, because there's no fool like an old fool....

garbsmj
4StarLounger

Post by garbsmj »

And update on Mr. Smith. He's still begging me to chat with him and he wants to pay me my money back.... hmmm bouncy check anyone? :shrug:

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

garbsmj wrote:And update on Mr. Smith. He's still begging me to chat with him and he wants to pay me my money back.... hmmm bouncy check anyone? :shrug:
How much is he asking you to send him to facilitate the transfer ?? :innocent:

If he is still contacting you, perhaps you could put the law on to him and at least shut him down temporarily. It's unlikely that "Mr. Smith" is a US resident and thus, out of reach of our legal system.
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

garbsmj
4StarLounger

Post by garbsmj »

Oh yeah I got the police report, the FBI is involved, and the police told me not to respond to Mr. Smith. They have his email addys and phone nos. It's just extra sad that he must be doing this to someone else now and I wish he'd get caught. :burnup:

garbsmj
4StarLounger

Post by garbsmj »

Update - found someone else who Mr. Smith contacted and they were way smarter than me. And they traced Mr. Smith back to the usual place where scams originate (not wishing to offend I won't reveal the name of the place).

Now I'm just wondering who the poor guy(who I'll call Mr. Jones) is in the pictures Mr. Smith said resembled him. I'd like to let Mr. Jones know, although what can you do if someone's using your pictures because you fell for Mrs. Smith sometime last year?

The world is not a nice place. I'm taking my crayons and going home... :igiveup:

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

This scam is quite well known in the UK! Even a senior British politician appears to have been stuck in a hotel in some part of Africa, and was begging for funds so that he could get a plane home. Allegedly!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

John Gray wrote:This scam is quite well known in the UK! Even a senior British politician appears to have been stuck in a hotel in some part of Africa, and was begging for funds so that he could get a plane home. Allegedly!
I had something like this happen on Facebook several weeks ago. Someone popped onto my screen in the name of a friend. This "scammer" claimed to be my friend, stranded in London, having been mugged and needing money to pay the hotel bill so she could come home.

It just so happened that I KNEW my friend could not possibly be in London because I had conversed with her the previous day, locally.

Bad guys populate the internet ad nauseum...

garbsmj
4StarLounger

Post by garbsmj »

Geez Al - and I thought I was the lucky one? I have to use a certain instant messenger at work and yes, I complained but I was the lone wolf, so to speak so here I am, getting some idiot popping up at me daily now asking if I'm still alive. No, I'm not. I'm a zombie IT person. Duh.