Heating options....but nothing to do with computers

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Heating options....but nothing to do with computers

Post by Skitterbug »

Well..... it is Scuttlebutt forum! :grin:
We are considering a geothermal heating system. I am curious if any loungers have this type of heating system in their homes and if there is satisfaction with the system?

Currently, we heat with propane. We have to deal with changing prices from year to year, companies being bought out and lots of unrest in this industry. When we were younger, we had access to wood and the physical ability to go cut our own. Now I feel very old........:smile:
Anyway then we had an oil burning system installed which soon gave way to the propane we are currently using.

So back to geothermal question - any thoughts about it are welcome!
Thanks! :yep:
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Heating options....but nothing to do with computers

Post by viking33 »

Skitterbug wrote:Well..... it is Scuttlebutt forum! :grin:
We are considering a geothermal heating system. I am curious if any loungers have this type of heating system in their homes and if there is satisfaction with the system?

Currently, we heat with propane. We have to deal with changing prices from year to year, companies being bought out and lots of unrest in this industry. When we were younger, we had access to wood and the physical ability to go cut our own. Now I feel very old........:smile:
Anyway then we had an oil burning system installed which soon gave way to the propane we are currently using.

My brother has a system in his home and he is happy with it but then again, he's in South Carolina. Many miles from Ohio!
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

viking33 wrote:

My brother has a system in his home and he is happy with it but then again, he's in South Carolina. Many miles from Ohio!
One of our friends said that Canada has quite a few of these systems in place. Not sure where they got this information. I'd think Canada would be very cold! Even colder than Ohio! <grin>
Completely off topic - a couple moved back to our area after living in South Carolina and Florida. Their complain was about the weather - too many hurricanes for them to endure! :chuckle:

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

Skitterbug wrote:Completely off topic - a couple moved back to our area after living in South Carolina and Florida. Their complain was about the weather - too many hurricanes for them to endure! :chuckle:
I remember when Xenia, OH, disappeared after the tornadoes went through in 1974! :shocked:

At least hurricanes give enough forewarning to get out of the path. :flee: :flee: :flee:
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

This probably won't help, but here's a recent article from our newspaper about a couple in Eastern Kentucky who seem to be in love with what they've done: Couple thinks solar power can work in Eastern Ky.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Hi Skitterbug!

If one goes deep enough anywhere on the face of the earth, one reaches increasing ambient temperatures. Ask the workers in mines, especially the very deep diamond mines in South Africa. Geothermal works. The problem is that there seem to be very high installation costs therefore very long payback on the investment. If those factors are irrelevant, the issues then become those associated with vetting and choosing contractors, permitting, local laws, actual construction and implementation. Also, from what I've read, geothermal requires significant retrofitting of installed HVAC components (ducts, filters, blowers, etc.). If I were considering this option, I would find as many people as I could who would tell me their experiences.

HTH
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

PJ_in_FL wrote:
Skitterbug wrote:Completely off topic - a couple moved back to our area after living in South Carolina and Florida. Their complain was about the weather - too many hurricanes for them to endure! :chuckle:
I remember when Xenia, OH, disappeared after the tornadoes went through in 1974! :shocked:
At least hurricanes give enough forewarning to get out of the path. :flee: :flee: :flee:
Tornadoes like to sneak up on people. I believe we have a little more warning now than we used to but still when the weather turns nasty during the night, that's the most dangerous situation. BTW, here's a link to that outbreak! Under the Xenia, Ohio heading about the 9th paragraph down, the story relates information about two Ohio Air National Guardsmen that died in a fire that destroyed their temporary barracks. One of those men lived in our town. It was a sad time indeed.

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Bigaldoc wrote:
This probably won't help, but here's a recent article from our newspaper about a couple in Eastern Kentucky who seem to be in love with what they've done: Couple thinks solar power can work in Eastern Ky.
Interesting article. Sounds like the hubby knows how to construct these panels himself with his wife doing the actual work. Not an option for us. In the article it says people in their area pay electric bills between $300 to $600 a month! :dizzy: That amount seems a bit much, doesn't it? Or is this electric heat as well as the rest of their household needs perhaps?

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

BobH wrote:Hi Skitterbug!

If one goes deep enough anywhere on the face of the earth, one reaches increasing ambient temperatures. Ask the workers in mines, especially the very deep diamond mines in South Africa. Geothermal works. The problem is that there seem to be very high installation costs therefore very long payback on the investment. If those factors are irrelevant, the issues then become those associated with vetting and choosing contractors, permitting, local laws, actual construction and implementation. Also, from what I've read, geothermal requires significant retrofitting of installed HVAC components (ducts, filters, blowers, etc.). If I were considering this option, I would find as many people as I could who would tell me their experiences.
HTH
Yep - it will be expensive to install, but we think the energy savings will be quite a bit. We have talked with a few people in our area that have done this and they seem pleased with the results. We have a contractor in mind that will come and check out our circumstances to give us an idea of what we may expect. And yes, I agree that having lots of feedback about heating options is a good idea! Hence the reason for my post here in our Lounge! :grin:

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

Hey Skitter !!
My daughter's apartment in Baltimore uses a geothermal system, but the place is so badly insulated and sealed that it doesn't yield a fair model to do a cost comparison. But, it does do what it says it will do. Heat and cool.

I did a quick Google and came up with some info from an Ohio geothermal company you might find useful. And here's another FAQ page from an Ohio outfit.

30% tax break from Uncle Sam on these systems. You go, green girl !!!!! :fanfare:
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Doc Watson wrote:Hey Skitter !!
My daughter's apartment in Baltimore uses a geothermal system, but the place is so badly insulated and sealed that it doesn't yield a fair model to do a cost comparison. But, it does do what it says it will do. Heat and cool.

I did a quick Google and came up with some info from an Ohio geothermal company you might find useful. And here's another FAQ page from an Ohio outfit.

30% tax break from Uncle Sam on these systems. You go, green girl !!!!! :fanfare:
Thanks Doc!
Your notes are always cheery! I appreciate the information you provide!
I haven't gone through all the questions on those web links yet but one thing that people seem to worry about is whether the system will recoup the initial investment over time. We intend to stay here but who knows what the future will bring. So our logic is that the cost of the installment would actually increase the value of the home. So it may be a safe way to invest money. :laugh:
And yes, there is the tax break $$ that "probably" will still exist for 2011......I hope! :smile:

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

In the article it says people in their area pay electric bills between $300 to $600 a month! :dizzy: That amount seems a bit much, doesn't it? Or is this electric heat as well as the rest of their household needs perhaps?
---------------------------------------
We have electric heat in our home. ( remember, "live better, electrically" by GE? )
The average mid winter electric bill is between $300-400 a month, but that does include everything else. Lights, cooking, hot water, appliances, etc.
Most people don't think of that as a total when making comparisons. Oil, gas or whatever. They also don't consider NO maintenance, like annual furnace check and cleaning, no filters, no storage tanks or delivery problems. Individual thermostats in every room. We also have underground utilities, so not much chance of winter storm damage either.
So while electric isn't the most "green" source, it sure has it's advantages.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

Skitterbug wrote:Thanks Doc!
Your notes are always cheery! I appreciate the information you provide!
I haven't gone through all the questions on those web links yet but one thing that people seem to worry about is whether the system will recoup the initial investment over time. We intend to stay here but who knows what the future will bring. So our logic is that the cost of the installment would actually increase the value of the home. So it may be a safe way to invest money. :laugh:
And yes, there is the tax break $$ that "probably" will still exist for 2011......I hope! :smile:
From the first link, the last question is about payback period....
"Geothermal systems are so energy-efficient that the payback period is remarkably brief. A study by the Air Force Institute of Technology calculated that it takes on average just seven to eight years to recoup costs.

Your specific payback point depends on factors like local utility rates, excavation/drilling costs, how well your house is insulated, the efficiency of the model you choose, and what incentives your state or utilities provide.

One of the best aspects about geothermal is cash flow. If you install a geothermal system, the monthly savings in operating costs generally offset the additional monthly financing cost, resulting in an immediate positive cash flow – especially in a new home. Again, your specific situation may vary."
Last edited by StuartR on 26 Apr 2011, 08:23, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: To fix broken quote tag
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.