Go for a ride with Jeff Zwart at Pikes Peak - Record Run

DaveA
GoldLounger

Go for a ride with Jeff Zwart at Pikes Peak - Record Run

Post by DaveA »

http://pca.org/Panorama/PanoramaPhotoVi ... ceRun.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Might try it in full screen to get the full affect :cheers: :clapping: :hairout:
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Go for a ride with Jeff Zwart at Pikes Peak - Record Run

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Yabbut:
  • Anyone can go fast downhill
  • He didn't beat the helicopter
  • He kept drifting over the double-yellow lines
  • What kind of spectator stands within half a mile of such an event, let alone on the ROAD side of the guard-rail? (must all be C++ programmers)
  • I'd like to see them compete under one extra condition: No gear changes from start to finish.
(signed) "Grumpy" of Toronto.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Having been up that hill a time or two, just driving at a normal safe speed is tricky. The view is out of this world. Ate night from the top you can see lights from Kansas.

There is no place but by the side of the road to watch this race, most of time it is the road to the "Tourist Center" that is at the top. There are a few "View pullouts" but other than that it is a narrow 2 lane road, paved only part of the time. The dirt area can get real dusty. The dust tails can be seen from the towns miles away.

That was all "Uphill", from the base of Pikes Peak to the top. During these races the road is closed, so if one wants to watch them you must get there early and stay all day.
No, leaving until the races are over and the road has bee cleared by the safety personnel.
So it is BYOB and BYOF for the day.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I can only say that Billie and I made that drive during non-race times once and it was one helluva a drive! We brought plenty of food and drink so we could take our time, but by the time we got back DOWN, I was exhausted from all the curves. It IS a sight to see but I can't imagine how those drivers can do what they do. It surely does get more treacherous when you get close to the top.