To all you California Loungers (you know who you are) ..

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

To all you California Loungers (you know who you are) ..

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I want a full report on my desk by 9 a.m. EST tomorrow morning. :gent:

Who has used this? Anyone?

New ATM dispenses cash for old cellphones and MP3 players

The “very intelligent kiosk” scans a cellphone or other digital junk from its database of 4,000, pulls out the proper power cord, examines the device for damage, and offers you cash, up to $60, ecoATM company spokeswoman Anita Giani told the Star on Tuesday.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Sundog
5StarLounger

Re: To all you California Loungers (you know who you are) ..

Post by Sundog »

And, it sells your cellphone contact list to spammers?
Sundog

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

ChrisGreaves wrote:I want a full report on my desk by 9 a.m. EST tomorrow morning. :gent:

Who has used this? Anyone?

New ATM dispenses cash for old cellphones and MP3 players

The “very intelligent kiosk” scans a cellphone or other digital junk from its database of 4,000, pulls out the proper power cord, examines the device for damage, and offers you cash, up to $60, ecoATM company spokeswoman Anita Giani told the Star on Tuesday.
I wouldn't trust that thing as far as I could throw it. :cop: :hmmn:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

Now there's an idea !!!! Give your personal information to some machine on the street. Brilliant !!!

Almost as good as Facebook. The only negative is that they are actually paying you money for your data rather than you simply giving it to them, as you do with Facebook.

I'll pass, thank you very much.
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Doc Watson wrote:Now there's an idea !!!! Give your personal information to some machine on the street. Brilliant !!!

Almost as good as Facebook. The only negative is that they are actually paying you money for your data rather than you simply giving it to them, as you do with Facebook.

I'll pass, thank you very much.
They only pay you for SOME of the phones. After grabbing your info, they MAY give you a pittance for your trouble! :groan:
BOB

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Surely anyone who uses this service would wipe the phone and remove the SIM first.
StuartR

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

StuartR wrote:Surely anyone who uses this service would wipe the phone and remove the SIM first.
Just like anyone would set up a home wireless network and then leave it wide open to the street crackers who cruise around looking for open networks?
Or respond to the Nigerian who found millions of dollars for you if only you give your bank account and security numbers to them?
Too many people just don't know better or could care less, I'm afraid. :doh:
BOB

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote:Who has used this? Anyone?
Right, you-all.
I agree that it sounds a little weird, but look beyond the first implementation.
This is an application (hardware and software) that will accept a wide variety of devices and DO something with them (sounds to me as if it determines the power input and supplies power to the device), at the very least analyzing and categorizing the device before triage.
The cash-back is nifty - I criticize those local shires that do NOT allow a 5c deposit on bottles etc.

But this is only a shave beyond a proof-of-concept model for a new wave of intelligent devices. I think the term Robot is now devaluated (N.Amer term for "devalued"), but this little baby sounds to me like a stand-alone intelligent device that is supposed to stand up to anything the public cares to throw at it.
That's impressive.

The concerns about spammers is valid, but I figure that technology that can identify and apply the appropriate power device would find the business of erasing memory (or re-installing default firmware etc) a push-over; after all, that's just software.

So come on, who've we got out San Diego way (for that's where the most installations seem to be)?

P.S. I think the ecological spin on this is a good way to garner acceptance; everyman and his dog wants to be "green", so capitalize on that appetite to get your foot in the door
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Repeat..........
See my earlier post
It would be nice if we could all be so trusting.
BOB

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Doc Watson wrote:Almost as good as Facebook. The only negative is that they are actually paying you money for your data rather than you simply giving it to them, as you do with Facebook.
Pardon me for jumping in now, Doc. I don't "give" Facebook any more information about me than I do here in this Lounge. I think mebbe you have a somewhat overblown bias against Facebook, but that's just MY opinion.

Facebook knows nothing about my address, bank account(s), passwords, etc. etc. and, in spite of its software "warts" has an unfair "bad" reputation among people who don't want to do that sort of thing.

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

Have you seen the documentary "The Facebook Obsession" ? :flee:
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.