Meanwhile, back at the ranch ...

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Meanwhile, back at the ranch ...

Post by ChrisGreaves »

.. look at how Jupiter has grown since he started eating oat grass.
National Geographic Photo-of-the-day
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Re: Meanwhile, back at the ranch ...

Post by Hey Jude »

ChrisGreaves wrote:.. look at how Jupiter has grown since he started eating oat grass.
National Geographic Photo-of-the-day

His look says it all, "ok peoples, I have the oat grass, where are my guampa and bombilla"?
:evilgrin:
Last edited by Hey Jude on 23 Feb 2011, 21:32, edited 1 time in total.
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

This morning the UPS clerk looked at the package questioningly.
"It's going to Prince Rupert" I volunteered. "It's a hard drive".
"Oh, I'm sure it is.", he said
"No, really, it's a hard drive"
"Yeah, what is it, three thousand kilometers?".
"No, you don't understand ..."

Aaaaaargh

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

I suppose BC is quite a distance, but not so "hard" if you think 1864.51 MILES ROFL

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

http://wwwapps.ups.com/WebTracking/track" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1Z7R6blahblahblah69300

"UPS could not locate the shipment details for your request. Please verify your information and try again later."

I'm not sure of a system that leaves me a voice-mail with a tracking number that, when you write it down and check it against the voice-mail repeated number says "UPS could not locate the shipment details for your request. Please verify your information and try again later.". Then you play back the saved voice-mail message and check again and it says again "UPS could not locate the shipment details for your request. Please verify your information and try again later."
Then you check it in groups of three, then groups of four characters and it still says "UPS could not locate the shipment details for your request. Please verify your information and try again later."

So then you phone the UPS store and read it all back to the nice man and he says "Oh, that's strange; maybe the number is missing a digit", and you quietly shelve the idea of telling him that unless it is in some base other than ten, if it has letters in it it can't be a number, and so you switch, hopefully helpfully to "If it's any help I have the yellow packing slip that they gave me this morning with a parcel shipping order number on it" and he says "Oh, you dropped it off here this morning?"

Yes.

"Oh, well then, the tracking number won't work until they have picked it up; they haven't picked it up yet. You should try again after 8pm.

So, what's the point of issuing a tracking number if the system can't even report that the parcel hasn't been picked up from the store yet?

And should I email Brooke, my VBA buddy who lives in the UK, because it must surely be 8pm there by now, and we could steal a march on Linda in Prince Rupert by a few hours ....

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Hey Jude wrote:I suppose BC is quite a distance, but not so "hard" if you think 1864.51 MILES ROFL
Well, I did the Prince Rupert trip in 1996 in 4 days there and 4 days back, but there was a side-trip to Fairbanks and Anchorage and Telegraph Creek (also Stewart/Hyder) nestled in there somewhere.

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

"Yeah, what is it, three thousand kilometers?"
Well, as a self-desginated geographic pedant I should point out that it's actually 3809km (2367 statue miles, 2057 nautical miles) airport to airport.

But seeing as their are no direct flights, you probably would have to go via Vancouver - 4111km, and you would still have to add the ferry trip (possibly on both ends of the trip)!

If you drove, and according to mapquest, it's 4923kms and will take you 52 hours 38 minutes, without stopping which is impossible!

Bonne Voyage!

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Bowlie wrote:
"Yeah, what is it, three thousand kilometers?"
Well, as a self-desginated geographic pedant I should point out that it's actually 3809km (2367 statue miles, 2057 nautical miles) airport to airport.

Bonne Voyage!
I would astutely like to suggest "statute" :evilgrin:

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Bowlie wrote:If you drove, and according to mapquest, it's 4923kms and will take you 52 hours 38 minutes, without stopping which is impossible!
I did the "Via I-90 W, I-90 W, US-395 N " route (can't work out how to copy the Driving Directions link). Toronto, Buffalo, I-90 to past Missoula than cross the border near Kettle Falls Idaho and up through Kelowna, Prince George and Terrace. 5,531 Km according to Google Maps. In those days I'd drive up to 17 hrs a day. My stops were at Albert Lea, Deer Lodge and Williams Lake. I arrived a day or two ahead of schedule on Thursday, which annoyed Linda intensely as she had booked to get her hair "done" on Friday prior to our first face-to-face meeting. There's just no pleasing some people ... (grin)
1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Bowlie wrote:Bonne Voyage!
Is that Swiss for 'Bon Voyage", or as English Canadians would say: "Bone Voyage"?
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

PaulB wrote:
Bowlie wrote:Bonne Voyage!
Is that Swiss for 'Bon Voyage", or as English Canadians would say: "Bone Voyage"?
As a truly bilingual Swiss would say "Bienne/Biel sûr". But I'm not ...