Wind-powered car

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Wind-powered car

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Wind-Explorer, the world's first wind-powered car, is driven across Australia
The car, fuelled by state of the art batteries which are recharged by windmill every night, travelled more than 5,000 km from Perth, via Adelaide and Melbourne.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Re: Wind-powered car

Post by Bowlie »

Interesting way of looking at it, but somewhat unique. For example you don't see France's 'electric' TGV's described as Nuclear powered trains, but that's where the electricity comes from. I guess Germany's ICE would be 'coal-powered' trains, for the same reason. I guess my petrol car is 'ancient dinosaur powered'!

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Wind-powered car

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Bowlie wrote:Interesting way of looking at it, but somewhat unique. For example you don't see France's 'electric' TGV's described as Nuclear powered trains, but that's where the electricity comes from. I guess Germany's ICE would be 'coal-powered' trains, for the same reason. I guess my petrol car is 'ancient dinosaur powered'!
I see your line of reasoning, but I think it comes down to "channels" or "sources"
The TGV's are powered immediately by electricity; that electric power comes from Nuclear, but could come from coal, hydro, peat, recycled SATA drives or whatever.
Trains in the UK were powered by steam; the steam came from coal, but in some cases (could have come) from wood, paper, natural gas, diesel etc.

Strictly speaking then the car (indicated above) is a solar-powered vehicle, so we would need to make the distinction between solar-directly and solar-indirectly.

Now I come to think of it, they are both electric cars, right? Some are solar-powered via photo-electric (photo-voltaic?) cells and some are solar-powered by virtue of nighttime winds.

And yes, in the limit, all is solar-powered, right? Even methane plants.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle