The de-icing of planes at Pearson

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Toronto star video ( 2 minutes)

Jetting off somewhere warm when it’s freezing out? Make sure your plane had a hot morning shower. No worries though, according to the GTAA, Pearson International Airport claims to have the largest and most advanced de-icing facilities in the world. On a recent frosty February morning, we record the facility in action. Video by Chris So / The Toronto Star (Feb. 14, 2011)
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Re: The de-icing of planes at Pearson

Post by Bowlie »

Arghhhh why do they use Flash? My Ad blocker blocks it.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Bowlie wrote:Arghhhh why do they use Flash? My Ad blocker blocks it.
You got me there.
It's a huge area - I seem to recall 16 acres being mentioned - and the glycol is collected and reccyled, or sometimes turned into oil that they use at The West Mall Fish'N'Chips.

Oh, sorry.
"Flash".
I thought you said "Flush"!
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

Well, I was hoping to see some real snow. Until today we haven't had any precipitation for over a month. Day-time temperatures in the low teens have meant that all the white stuff is gone, leaving an ugly brown. If the hills were truly alive they would be hiding their faces in shame.

It did rain today (still +4C) so there may be some snow in them, thar, hills.

Here's a picture that shows the sad truth. The snow those 'border-dudes' are sitting on is artificial!

Edited to add ... Oops, even though they are close to Italy in that picture I guess they are really 'boarder-dudes' ... :blush:

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Still looks very picturesque! Are all Swiss ski resorts suffering from this lack of snow? What are those winter tire looking thingies on the backs of the boarder dudes, water bags?
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Bowlie wrote:Well, I was hoping to see some real snow. Until today we haven't had any precipitation for over a month. Day-time temperatures in the low teens have meant that all the white stuff is gone, leaving an ugly brown. If the hills were truly alive they would be hiding their faces in shame.

It did rain today (still +4C) so there may be some snow in them, thar, hills.

Here's a picture that shows the sad truth. The snow those 'border-dudes' are sitting on is artificial!

Edited to add ... Oops, even though they are close to Italy in that picture I guess they are really 'boarder-dudes' ... :blush:
Come to New England, Bowlie.
With the exception of the Cape Cod, SE area, there is more than enough snow for TWO winters. The ski resorts are in seventh heaven. No snow making required at all. The only problem is getting the cash to the banks to make their deposits! :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: :yep:
The cities are putting their snow in snow "farms" to have a place to put it.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

PaulB wrote: What are those winter tire looking thingies on the backs of the boarder dudes, water bags?
Nah, these dudes are law school students, that's their fins just starting to grow ... :innocent: Or perhaps they are one of these. Not just Switzerland, but most of Western Europe is experiencing an incredible dry/warm spell. Up above 2000m it's cold enough to make snow, but anything lower is 'toast'.