Kitty-Litter - Which non-clay litter to use?

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Kitty-Litter - Which non-clay litter to use?

Post by ChrisGreaves »

• Did you switch?
  • What did you learn?
BrandBaseAction
MewsprintBaseNonClumping
Enviropine chipNonClumping
Yesterdays Mewsnewspaper pelletsNonClumping
SwheatScoopWheatClump
FelineFreshCornClump
WorldBestCornClump
WorldBestMulticatCornClump
I am moving to a non-clay kitty-litter and would like to hear first-hand experiences from cat-owners who have switched from clay.
Y'all can join in, but I am focused on (a) you used clay litter for a year or more and (b) you have made the move to one of paper pellets, corn, or wheat-based.

My apartment, (and those of my good neighbour Patty and my friend Norma) is covered in a patina of dust from the clay-based kitty litter I've used for seven years because Jupiter arrived with a sack of clumping clay kitty-litter and we've always done it that way.
A major part of my passion for Second Use For Everything is vermicomosting, which I have pursued for 15+ years now, and when you vermicompost kitty litter you end up with tons of wet clay (photos at bottom of page).

So it is non-clay for me. I promise.
Cost of clay vs non-clay is not an issue. I'm moving to non-clay.
My only question is which non-clay?

I understand about transitioning the cats by using a base of clay and a top layer of new material, (or is it base of new material and a top layer of clay?) gradually reducing the amount of clay.
We priced several brands yesterday, and see a nearly 3:1 price span. I'm sure that clay is a much lower price, but my reasoning is this:
Would I rather pay 50c/day for non-clay litter ($3.50/week) or pay a cleaning lady $50/week to dust my apartment?

I know that I schlep about 1 pound/day of clumped litter out of the apartment, because for another project I've been weighing the lidded-pail about once a fortnight, each time I empty it, so I have a rough idea of likely usage; I do discount the various claims that one bag of this is equivalent to so-many tons of that.

I am assuming that providing I do it properly, both of my ultra-smart cats will make the transition without problems, but still and all I'd rather make one transition than make one transition, a mistake, and a second transition.

Jupiter and Bumpous bleat their thanks.
As do I.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: Kitty-Litter - Which non-clay litter to use?

Post by DaveA »

When we had cat(s), we did not worry about such things, we just let them out and they did their thing when and where they needed to.
All of them seemed to by very happy and most lived a long life. This worked with the dog(s) also.

While they were at it they even got their claws fixed, so we did not need to take them to the vet to get them trimmed.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

The only experience I have with non-clay litter is when we had to use green pellets after having the cats de-clawed. We have another one coming up in another week or so for this procedure (front only and always inside cat) so I am not looking forward to having to use this green pellet mixture. It stunk and the cats stunk but maybe they have perfected the formula now. We shall see, and I'll report back. Otherwise we use scoopable and
since the boxes are in the basement, there's no problem.
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Hey Jude wrote:The only experience I have with non-clay litter is when we had to use green pellets after having the cats de-clawed
Thanks HeyJude; yes we saw "green" in the store, which I thought at first meant ecological, but the store owner said, no, just dyed green.
Why do you switch pellets when the cars are de-clawed?

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

ChrisGreaves wrote:... Why do you switch pellets when the cars are de-clawed?
I also had my kitten front de-clawed 11 years ago. The vet said NOT to use clay litter while the "surgery" was healing but I forgot how long she prescribed. I too used "paper structured" litter for whatever time it took for the kitten's surgery to heal. I suppose paper is softer and easier for them to manipulate while their feet are healing.

PS Because of this "removal of her defense mechanism," my 11 year old has NEVER been outside!

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
Hey Jude wrote:The only experience I have with non-clay litter is when we had to use green pellets after having the cats de-clawed
Thanks HeyJude; yes we saw "green" in the store, which I thought at first meant ecological, but the store owner said, no, just dyed green.
Why do you switch pellets when the cars are de-clawed?
Infection is the main reason. The pellets I am talking about are only available at vets or Pet Supply stores etc. (at least they were(Time for Andy's Search :clapping: :grin: )

BigAl> I had the only male Siamese we owned and he was a beautiful seal point. We got him neutered and de-clawed at 6 months and from that day forward he refused to use any brand of litter we tried. It seems he associated some scent from his experience at the vets, so he ended up being let in and out when he needed to. He never had any issues defending himself. He still would run and climb trees...quite adept actually. Since our cats are only house cats, we have chosen the route of de-clawing to save the curtains/furniture and snags in sweaters etc. when they get startled and go leaping...or when the grandkids drag them around and they dig in...this new little Eggnog we have now, is about 14 weeks now and I can't wait to get her front claws removed.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

ChrisGreaves wrote:... Why do you switch pellets when the cars are de-clawed?
Here is what we experienced with "Yesterday's News"
"Paper Pellets

"...Recycled paper is used to make litter such as Yesterday’s News. These tiny pellets are made from compressed bits of recycled paper, which is what makes this type of litter so absorbent and environmentally friendly. The most common main ingredient in this litter is recycled newspaper. If all newspapers were recycled and turned into cat litter, how much clay and damage from mining could we ultimately avoid?

When the cat uses the litter box full of recycled paper, the pellets swell to absorb the urine. The solid waste needs to be scooped from the box and disposed of regularly. The pellets that absorb the urine can be scooped out of the box, but they do not clump and can be difficult to clean out of the box. Depending on the number of cats you have, it may be best when using this litter to simply regularly dump all the litter out of the box and start with fresh...."

We only used it with one cat at a time. I recall it was NOT odiferous, but reeked of urine and the antibiotics Punkin was put on at the time following surgery. I was never so glad to get back to the clumping easily scoopable litter. Time will tell as #4 cat will be going for de-clawing shortly so I'll report back as to our vet's recommendation.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Hey Jude wrote:... but they do not clump
Right. That's what my min-survey showed. All three of the newspaper pellet sources delivered a non-clumping result.
Did you have a reason for using newsprint rather than a wheat- or corn-based source?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

ChrisGreaves wrote:Did you have a reason for using newsprint rather than a wheat- or corn-based source?
Don't you want your cats to be up-to-date with yesterday's news?
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:Don't you want your cats to be up-to-date with yesterday's news?
No. That would only give them paws for thought.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

HansV wrote:
ChrisGreaves wrote:Did you have a reason for using newsprint rather than a wheat- or corn-based source?
Don't you want your cats to be up-to-date with yesterday's news?
It is akin to eating day-old-bread...somebody has to do it :laugh:

At the time, Yesterday's News was included in the declawing fee so since it was our first time using it, we didn't question since avoidance of infection was the desired outcome.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Hey Jude wrote:At the time, Yesterday's News was included in the declawing fee
OK. Thanks.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Eggnog is currently at the vets getting relieved of her front claws. For a mere sum of $5 U.S. we bought a 12 lb, 5.45 kg bag of "Fresh News" natural kitty litter. Fresh News on Amazon.com and Fresh News Cat Litter

Product Description
Fresh News Paper Cat Litter is the best litter for your cat, the environment and your home. The highly absorbent soft pellets retain their form, helping to reduce tracking around your home. It is made from 100-percent post consumer biodegradable paper; helping to reduce waste in landfills and save trees from being harvested. Fresh News Cat Litter is also made with Baking Soda to help neutralize litter tray odors.

We had already decided to declaw her. Several days ago I was rudely awakened by this 3.5lb fur ball pouncing on my face; digging in with her REAR claws, causing me to bleed profusely from severe scratches on my nose and face. (lovely but healing nicely thanks to Neosporin) Of course she still COULD do this, but she won't be climbing up on the bed any time soon with her front tools removed :-) We've had cats for decades, and I grew up raising Siamese and this NEVER happened. I would include a photo, but chose to refrain to reduce shock and claw value!!

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I do not want to get a flaming war going, but, I do NOT understand why anyone would want to have their cat declawed.

I have done some searching on this and found http://www.declawing.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which I agree with.

I do not see how anyone could think that this is humane?

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Hey Jude wrote:Eggnog is currently at the vets getting relieved of her front claws. For a mere sum of $5 U.S. we bought a 12 lb, 5.45 kg bag of "Fresh News" natural kitty litter. Fresh News on Amazon.com and Fresh News Cat Litter

Product Description
Fresh News Paper Cat Litter is the best litter for your cat, the environment and your home. The highly absorbent soft pellets retain their form, helping to reduce tracking around your home. It is made from 100-percent post consumer biodegradable paper; helping to reduce waste in landfills and save trees from being harvested. Fresh News Cat Litter is also made with Baking Soda to help neutralize litter tray odors.

We had already decided to declaw her. Several days ago I was rudely awakened by this 3.5lb fur ball pouncing on my face; digging in with her REAR claws, causing me to bleed profusely from severe scratches on my nose and face. (lovely but healing nicely thanks to Neosporin) Of course she still COULD do this, but she won't be climbing up on the bed any time soon with her front tools removed :-) We've had cats for decades, and I grew up raising Siamese and this NEVER happened. I would include a photo, but chose to refrain to reduce shock and claw value!!
We never had any of our cats declawed.
( even though they are indoor only cats ) Main reason was the idea that a declawed cat has had it's protection taken away and thus resorts to biting. :catty: Our present cat does enjoy her morning jump from about ten feet away, landing directly on my stomach, rather than aiming for the face thankfully.
My forgiving nature is only due to the fact that our 100+ pound German Shepherd has never decided to imitate the cat in this way! :pup:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

DaveA wrote:I have done some searching on this and found http://www.declawing.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which I agree with.
Interesting web page, for which reference, Thanks.
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on 01 Feb 2011, 13:40, edited 1 time in total.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

It's a done deal. Just shoot me then. NOBODY bothered to comment earlier :scratch: It has been mentioned in this thread above and NOBODY bothered to comment negatively.

."...The only experience I have with non-clay litter is when we had to use green pellets after having the cats de-clawed. We have another one coming up in another week or so for this procedure (front only and always inside cat) so I am not looking forward to having to use this green pellet mixture...."

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

DaveA wrote:I do not want to get a flaming war going ...
You may not want to, Dave, but it IS likely.

I recommend that one of the Admins LOCK this thread, because I for ONE am tempted to say a few things that WOULD be inflammatory and they don't have to do with CATS!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'll leave the thread open for the moment, but I'd like to ask all participants to remain friendly and polite to each other.
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Thanks Hans,
As My post stated I do not want it to be a flame job, just some opinions of why.