Need More Information from the British

BobH
UraniumLounger

Need More Information from the British

Post by BobH »

I don't mean this to be political at all. I'm just making an inquiry because my mind continues to explore things I studied for a degree in my youth - economics. If the moderators deem this post inappropriate I'm certain they will pull it and with my complete understanding.

Recently, some of the talks given by David Harvey (especially one given before the RSA) have come to my attention. He is apparently a student of political economics specializing in Karl Marx. I can find little about his biography but would like to know more as he seems to be an intelligent and educated speaker although I know nothing about his politics.

My questions to those in the UK - or elsewhere - who might know more about Mr. Harvey are, "Is he a marxist?" and "Is the RSA a marxist or left-leaning organization?" I only want to know about their general reputation, not their political loyalties. My interest is intellectual, not political. I'd just like to know if there is a general opinion about these two that I might know.

:thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: Need More Information from the British

Post by John Gray »

Bob - I have never heard of David Harvey (described as a "radical sociologist"). As to the RSA:
"For over 250 years the Royal Society for the encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce (RSA) has been a cradle of enlightenment thinking and a force for social progress. Our approach is multi-disciplinary, politically independent and combines cutting edge research and policy development with practical action.". More about them here - but I have never heard of this organisation either!

The lecture to which you refer is available from that website.

So not really much help, I'm afraid...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you very much, John.

I had googled both Mr. Harvey and the RSA. When one reads what is posted on the Internet the presentation of information is as the host posting it wants it to be seen. I was trying to determine if both Mr. Harvey and the RSA were, at present, considered honorable and untainted by political persuasion or force of sponsorship. Even old, respectable organizations are sometimes suborned into taking positions quite different from their charter and history by those committed to bending them to their own ends and cadging the residual good reputation to themselves whether deservedly so or not. While I might feel comfortable sharing my opinions about things that have occurred in American organizations, I have no means of forming opinions about those in the UK without asking others.

For now, I shall presume that Mr. Harvey is a scholar and expert on Marx (and possibly Engels) and not a political advocate. Likewise, I shall presume that his presence at the RSA is simple a recent example of a time honored tradition of openly hearing the thoughts of all sides of questions without attaching weight or merit to positions taken.

I suppose I'll have to continue my research. Perhaps I'll get near a decent library soon where I can find more about the history of the both of them.

Thank you, again, for the response.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

It is worth noting that presentation of Marxist ideas is not seen the same way in the UK as it would be in the US. The fact that someone has read Marx and agrees with some of the concepts is not reprehensible here.
StuartR

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

You've presumably come across his website?
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

StuartR wrote:It is worth noting that presentation of Marxist ideas is not seen the same way in the UK as it would be in the US. The fact that someone has read Marx and agrees with some of the concepts is not reprehensible here.
Yes, Stuart, Americans have had a very long history of denigrating Marx' work and demonizing both him and his work. I did, in fact, read Das Kapital back in undergraduate days before I had experienced much or had much developed my own capacity for thinking critically. It was much easier to accede to 'common knowledge' (a most rare quantity - almost as rare as it twin 'common sense') and let the opinions of others color one's own.

I asked about the reputations of both Harvey and the RSA because reputations - while not always well founded - give one a sense of how well something is appreciated by a group or a society.

I take it from the responses that I've received that Harvey is taken at face value and is neither a political 'talking head' nor a red-eyed ogre only a step ahead of the keepers who would lock him up away from society, then? :evilgrin:

And, I presume that the RSA retains its long tradition of providing a platform for different and differing ideas to be heard. I'm sure it's not on the same level as Sunday morning at Speakers' Corner, but a more erudite and better-educated platform and audience, then?

Thank you for the response.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Yes, John, I have found and perused Mr. Harvey's web site. I shall seek out more of his work to see if I can understand his views and attempt to reconcile them with my own or to discover that they are inconsistent with them.

Thank you for the response.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)