Things I've learned about computers when I've been bored...

Argus
GoldLounger

Things I've learned about computers when I've been bored...

Post by Argus »

…usually during a phone conversation or similar.

Two things related to Firefox (and I think I've mentioned one before):
  • If I click on an image and drag it to a text box, such as a search box or a password box, I get a copy of that image downloaded to my temp folder (well one of them, The Temp folder); and as it is quite easy to access, for me, it's fun, and sometimes a really lazy option for “right-click etc.”. (The path to the image is also copied to the text box, but that’s a different issue.)
  • If I have more than one tab open (I use the default setting, so "Always show Tab bar" is not selected) and grab one tab and drop it on the page, it opens in a new window, leaving the other tabs in the first window. (There are of course several different, more obvious ways; via context menu or before opening, shift-click etc. but as with the other example this is the lazy option :grin: (and when the tab is already there).)
There are probably many more examples, but as time goes by one tends to forget how or when one learned about something.

Now, we all learn something new every day (at least during good days); have you learned something about computer software, new or old, in an odd, unexpected, way, or found an “unorthodox shortcut”?
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Re: Things I've learned about computers when I've been bored

Post by Hey Jude »

Sitting here being bored, I just learned how to add text to a photo using Paint :-) You can view the evidence under the monitors post lol. I wanted to type HansV name instead of the HannsG name. I saved the photo, cut out a section and saved the photo and then went to paint and started clicking tools to find the text components and voilà I was tickled :clapping: even tho I know it doesn't add an ounce of help to the thread :laugh: :smile:
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Argus wrote:…
If I click on an image and drag it to a text box, such as a search box or a password box, I get a copy of that image downloaded to my temp folder (well one of them, The Temp folder); and as it is quite easy to access, for me, it's fun, and sometimes a really lazy option for “right-click etc.”. (The path to the image is also copied to the text box, but that’s a different issue.)
What a simple way to get a copy of an image, thank you.
StuartR

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

StuartR wrote:What a simple way to get a copy of an image, thank you.
Yep, you're welcome. And no traces in the download manager, so it's also quicker. :grin: (I haven't the faintest idea what's going on, but it works. :laugh:)

Another tip, that I've mentioned once: if one use the QLB (Quick Launch Bar), which perhaps isn't that interesting now since I guess that we are only a dozen people still using Windows XP, :grin: it's possible to cycle through the three default modes by double-clicking on the line at the beginning of the QLB, when the Taskbar is unlocked. (It's also possible to double-click on the second line at the end of the QLB, but since that one moves with the QLB, you have to move the mouse.)

So, for example, if one wants it fully expanded, if more than three icons; unlock the Taskbar and double-click on the first line. If one wants to shrink the QLB back to three icons and an arrow, from, say, fully expanded, one can double-click on the first line two times, instead of dragging the second line. I've never seen it mentioned; everyone talks about "drag it to an appropriate size" etc. etc. As in this forum for example; nothing wrong per se since it's intuitive, but it's not always the quickest or easiest way.

I must have been really bored when I found that since a Windows Shell MVP didn't know about it. :grin:

Then there is also a right-click context menu for the QLB that not everyone has found, but that one is far more obvious than the double-click thing. When the Taskbar is unlocked it's possible to right-click on the first line next to the QLB (or any area inside the QLB that's not covered with icons) and get some options; open the folder in Explorer, change icon size etc.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Argus wrote:If I click on an image and drag it to a text box, such as a search box or a password box, I get a copy of that image downloaded to my temp folder (well one of them, The Temp folder); and as it is quite easy to access, for me, it's fun, and sometimes a really lazy option for “right-click etc.”. (The path to the image is also copied to the text box, but that’s a different issue.)
I must be missing something here. :scratch: How is this different/better/preferable to simply dragging the picture to the desktop?
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

PaulB wrote:...How is this different/better/preferable to simply dragging the picture to the desktop?
I didn't know you could do that either!!
StuartR

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

You are not missing anything, Paul; it isn't. :smile:

It's not better; it's not much different, apart from a few things.
  • It's unexpected, thus not common.
  • It's, sometimes, even lazier. :grin:
If the window is maximized the usual procedure (when moving something to the Desktop) is to drag the image (or URL etc.) to the Taskbar, wait for the window(s) to minimize, and drop it on the Desktop.

But if I don't want to clutter my fine Desktop with random files from the web? What to do if the Taskbar is full?

Then I have to hunt for a small empty space on the Taskbar (we are not talking about the supported way here, using right-click context menu to save the image). (Yes, I know; I can drag the image with one hand, and minimize the windows with the other, but don't destroy my fine arguments. :laugh: [Using Winkey-D/Winkey-M; preferably Winkey-D, since M is further away if using the mouse with the right hand and it doesn't restore the windows. Or if you are using a modern OS the Cool-Switch (Alt-Tab), but I've not checked the download on anything else than XP. However, that is not being lazy, see above, :grin: I have to use both hands.] On the other hand, the Desktop is easier to find(!) for most people... but then again, I don't want to clutter my Desktop, it's bad as it is, at times.)

However, you are right that it's definitely not better in some cases, and obviously I knew that when I wrote it; not every page has a text box.

It's a good question; what I meant with the thread was that sometimes we stumble on an odd way of achieving something, or perhaps the correct, documented, way (if we hate to read manuals :grin:), but many times it's when we're not actively pursuing it. Of course, it’s possible to sit down and right-click, shift-click etc. on every space in the new software to see if there is another option popping up, but then, most of the time, it’s documented, in some way or another. I’ll give a :chocciebar: to the first person showing a page at MSFT that mentions “double-click the QLB-sizing-handle”. :grin: (In fact, quantum satis of :chocciebar:s :munch: to the one showing any page, not including my posts. :sarcasm: :laugh:)

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

StuartR wrote:
PaulB wrote:...How is this different/better/preferable to simply dragging the picture to the desktop?
I didn't know you could do that either!!
I sat here dragging your avatar to my desktop as that has been the primary way I copy photos. I couldn't get Argus' solution to work no matter how I tried. Perhaps it has to do with how we individually have set up our systems, but drag/drop is so convenient and works so I'll stick with that :-) I don't even see how it can be "lazier." I spent alot of time trying to make this work, and have not succeeded yet so I guess it's one of those quirks :scratch:

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Argus wrote:I’ll give a :chocciebar: to the first person showing a page at MSFT that mentions “double-click the QLB-sizing-handle”. :grin: (In fact, quantum satis of :chocciebar:s :munch: to the one showing any page, not including my posts. :sarcasm: :laugh:)
If your taskbar is locked, you won't have the sizing handle option anyway :hairout: Would the "double click" depend on whether you have your mouse properties set to either double or single click? :evilgrin:

Edit: I have my mouse set to double click on my desktop but a single click works on the QLB so I'm not sure where you will find you have to double click anything on the QLB
QLB.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

I now see what you were trying to say, Argus. There is indeed a time and place for your advice.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

PaulB wrote:I now see what you were trying to say, Argus. There is indeed a time and place for your advice.
Could you please "splains it to me?"

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Hey Jude wrote:Could you please "splains it to me?"
I haven't actually tried it. I just understand that under certain conditions this is one way to do it (if indeed it works).

Drag and drop to the desktop works for me... I'll stick with that.
Regards,
Paul

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Hey Jude wrote:If your taskbar is locked, you won't have the sizing handle option anyway :hairout: Would the "double click" depend on whether you have your mouse properties set to either double or single click? :evilgrin:
Wasn't my post already quite lengthy? :evilgrin: No, you wont have a handle; as I said: use it "when it's unlocked"; because that's the only way moving or resizing the QLB or any toolbar.

If you have changed your mouse's properties? My advices are always for the plain vanilla, if I don't mention anything. And no, the Explorer setting for mouse clicks doesn’t change the modus operandi for toolbar handles.
Hey Jude wrote:Edit: I have my mouse set to double click on my desktop but a single click works on the QLB so I'm not sure where you will find you have to double click anything on the QLB
If you take a look at the image you added to your post about the QLB, it's possible to see the handles mentioned in my post. I discussed resizing the QLB, not using it. And yes, you don't have to double-click anything on the QLB, if you don't want to, but that wasn't the point with my post.
As for the image copies; short tutorial with images: :fanfare:
  1. Drag the image to a text box (if there is one).
  2. The mouse icon changes when you hover above the text box.
    • It should look like this. Notice the box connected to the pointer.
      A.PNG
    • It should not look like this, as when you were moving the image, this means you have not positioned the pointer above the text box.
      B.PNG
  3. Release the mouse button to drop the image in the text box. Your copy of the image is now in the Temp folder.
    C.PNG
This is meant as a fun thread mentioning “unorthodox shortcuts”; not solutions to everyone's individual setups, or for the best tips of them all (or "how I learned to use Paint" :evilgrin:); we have other forums for that, and I guess that our admins would like to see such posts in those forums.

BTW, as we get only one notification about new posts until we visit the Lounge again, I only got a notification about your first post this time (your second post in this thread); thus I didn't get a notification about your comments on the QLB. It could have been one post, but I guess that had not driven the post count. :evilgrin:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Hello Argus,

Please forgive an old man for asking, but how do I access the Temp folder you referenced above? I tried the process as you described it dragging your avatar graphic to the browser's (Firefox) address bar. The image appeared with the barred circle as you said until I hovered the mouse over the address bar when it went away as you described.

What I would like to do is see the file that was created.

Thank you
-bh
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Bob,
One, quite quick, way is:
  • Winkey-R (opens the Run box)
  • Type: %temp%
  • Click OK.
The folder is typically in the user profile, on XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\<Username>\Local Settings\Temp

(And here I had to change the wording, since on a Swedish OS "Local settings" is "Lokala inställningar"; this one was easy, but usually I'll have to dig around or think for a second or two, before I can post it here.)

Yes, it's not as convenient to reach as the Desktop, for some; but as I said Desktop clutter isn't always that fun; and the Temp folder is always the Temp folder. It's part of the user profile by default, true, but far less important than the Desktop, we can set up software to clean the Temp folder etc. But we don't want it to empty the Desktop, usually... True, the Desktop hasn't the most important status in the user profile, for example it isn't protected as other files in "My docs" etc. when you use System Restore; that is, monitored files will go away if they were not present when the restore point was created. So critical files shouldn't be stored on the Desktop, on the other hand, for a random image that isn't important, I can think of better places than filling up the Desktop.

But I've redirected my Temp folder, well The Temp folder, to another partition (via environment variables), so I have easy access to it via the Explorer at the root on a scratch partition.

BTW, I’m not talking about text boxes in the browser; address bar, search bar etc. but text boxes on the pages.

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Argus! Your being "bored" has gotten quite complicated! :laugh:

:whisper: Thanks for the sharing of knowledge! :yep:
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

If only I had known ..., Skitter, if only ... :grin:

You're welcome. Not much use for them, apart from the QLB thing. And BTW, as some may have noticed, downloaded images are always in the BMP format and the name isn't the same as the original, it's random. But for a quick & dirty copy it doesn't matter, perhaps. I see it more as a "party trick" if there are such tricks in the computer world. :smile:

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Argus wrote:If only I had known ..., Skitter, if only ...
Argus, just so you know, I couldn't get it to work first time, but I gave it another shot late this afternoon, and I have to say, as far as useful tips goes, this is nowhere near as good as something that might get my HP2600N printer to work on a simple 2-computer network.
Although it does get a place in my heart for erudition
And it did fill in a few wistful moments this grey Saturday afternoon, so it's not without merit.
In fact I predict that for fullness of disclosure and time-saving this tip probably can't be beaten
Over the years I have tried dragging all sorts of stuff to all sorts of places, and except for dragging my entire office to the local dump, nothing holds promise.
Except your apparently useless trick works!, so I am, once again holding out hope, ...
Thanks!
(With my tongue in cheek!) :smile:
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on 08 Jan 2011, 22:11, edited 1 time in total.
He who plants a seed, plants life.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

You want a "party trick" for your printer? :grin:

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Argus wrote:You want a "party trick" for your printer? :grin:
Sure, but on one condition: The printer ends up in the bottom of the ice-covered swimming-pool outside my window.
(I figure 4 storeys, 32 f/sec/sec, 1/2 mv2 etc should break the ice, in a manner of speaking)
He who plants a seed, plants life.