A Brief Respite

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

A Brief Respite

Post by Bigaldoc »

I've been babysitting my two grandsons for the past couple of hours and after a brief spell, the eight year old asked if he could use my computer. Since his dad and I have "trained" him in computer use and I already have a Fx bookmark with most of his favorite sites, I of course said yes and went to do other things. The six year old is just getting "into" the computer and dad and I are working with him as well about what to do and what NOT to do, to prevent them wrecking the computer.

I went to take out some trash and when I came back inside, the two boys were sitting at the computer, not on one of the games or kids links that I'm used to seeing, but on YOUTUBE, watching some military videos (animations) that they both like. (Grandpa was a "soldier" and both boys are very interested in "war game" kinds of things.)

I've never seen the kids on YouTube before so I guess I'll send daddy an email now to suggest he figure out how he wants to "control" the PC so those kids don't stumble onto some of the less than desirable sites on the web.

Boy, they sure grow up faster than you can imagine!

Samantha
3StarLounger

Re: A Brief Respite

Post by Samantha »

My son and 4 year-old granddaughter now live with me, and it's amazing to see how fast Myra is catching on to the whole electronic world. I have a few of her favorite songs and some short videos loaded on my iPod. This morning she asked me if she could watch one of her "shows" on my iPod. I watched her turn on the device, navigate to the video ap, locate the proper video and start watching. While she was occupied, I was in the kitchen starting a pot of soup for dinner tonight.

Pretty soon, she is asking me how to spell a friend's name. I automatically spell it for her while continuing to dice some carrots. Then I realize she still has my iPod in her hands. I ask her what she's doing and she tells me that she's sending an email. Turns out she was in the Notes ap and had already typed in her own name, in addition to the few words she knows how to spell on her own.

She was most disappointed when I explained that she couldn't send an email from the iPod (or at least from her present location), so I ended up taking dictation and sending the following message for her.
    • Dear Hanna 1,

Myra lost her orange kitty 2. She is so sad. Her heart is beating so fast. She is really upset. You can snuggle the orange kitty if you want to, if you find her.

She is really so upset and she doesn't feel happy anymore.

She so so wants to paint her princesses, but how can she do it without her kitty. Her heart is broken. Forever.

I will miss you,
      Myra

(transcribed verbatim by NingNong 3)
1Hanna is my best friend's college-student daughter.
2The orange kitty is a stuffed animal that Myra had left behind after visiting yesterday.
3 NingNong was the first name Myra called me when she began talking, and NingNong I shall forever remain amongst these friends.
Samantha