Early Christmas treat: 2010's total lunar eclipse

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Early Christmas treat: 2010's total lunar eclipse

Post by Hey Jude »

Image That is how the moon looked in Germany

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101220/ap_ ... ar_eclipse I for one am going to brave the elements and feast my eyes if the clouds will cooperate and part like the "Red Sea."
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

HansV
Administrator

Re: Early Christmas treat: 2010's total lunar eclipse

Post by HansV »

According to APOD: 2010 December 20 - A Lunar Eclipse on Solstice Day, it's the first lunar eclipse in 456 years that coincides with the solstice...
Best wishes,
Hans

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

that is what makes it so special :-)

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Hey Jude wrote:that is what makes it so special :-)
The newscasters were saying that the total eclipse would be around 2:41 AM, in these parts :fanfare:
Now I'm a "night person" but but that's a little overboard for me!
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

It brings to mind Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" album but the YouTube sites I found, well had some questionable extraneous content so maybe you have it and can play it yourselves :-) I'd love to see this eclipse,
but snow starts here around midnight so I will trust that the prognosticators are once again wrong and hope to view this phenomenon.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Hey Jude wrote:It brings to mind Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" album but the YouTube sites I found, well had some questionable extraneous content so maybe you have it and can play it yourselves :-) I'd love to see this eclipse,
but snow starts here around midnight so I will trust that the prognosticators are once again wrong and hope to view this phenomenon.
There was one year when a total lunar eclipse was predicted. There were also some here on the Cape who use just about any excuse to have a party. At least it was at a reasonable hour, about 10-ish. So, a crowd runs out to the beach to see the moon. However, it was a heavy cloud cover that night but one slightly tipsy imbiber sat in his beach chair and was heard to mutter, "WOW, that is some kind of TOTAL eclipse!" :bravo: :cloud9:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Last night (my time) there was a clear sky with a bright full moon. But now, when the eclipse is beginning, it's completely overcast (a lot of new snow has fallen during the night).
Best wishes,
Hans

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

It'll start here in about 80 minutes, clear skies, camera at the ready, currently setting up paypal account so you people can buy one of my photos :evilgrin:

Assuming I get a decent shot, I'll post it later tonight ...
Cheers, Claude.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Claude wrote:Assuming I get a decent shot, I'll post it later tonight ...
I think you've missed the last posting dates for Christmas - why not just upload it here?
Leif

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

ok, let me rephrase: I'll upload it to this fine establishment via electronic means, totally bypassing Rudolf and his dears :smile:
Cheers, Claude.

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

Brilliant! Clouds have just move in :sigh: Let me book a helicopter, brb ....
Cheers, Claude.

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

clouds have broken for a few seconds, so, here's my contribution
Eclipse1.jpg
about 30 minutes after it started....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers, Claude.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Brilliant!! All we had was clouds and more clouds and light snow and no visible eclipse :-(

Thank-you for bypassing Rudolph so we could enjoy. The chopper only got THAT close???? hahaha!

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

HansV wrote:Last night (my time) there was a clear sky with a bright full moon. But now, when the eclipse is beginning, it's completely overcast (a lot of new snow has fallen during the night).
Quoi? The solstice is/was at 00:38 CET 22 Dec; (23:38 GMT 21 Dec), and yes, I know, the nights are more or less equally long, at least in minutes, so one could say it’s happening at the same time; but wasn't the eclipse the 20 Dec... here? No wait, between, around, 21 Dec 06:27 and 12:06 CET, ah well, :bummer: , better read the local news.

Guess I didn't read carefully enough; and Hey Jude's post and image talked about Germany. :censored: time zones; 02:41 for Bob = 08:41 for Argus, I know, but... Ah well, I guess it was cloudy. :laugh:

I agree with you Hans; at least on the evening of 20 Dec we had an almost clear sky, with a bright full moon. (BTW, I never got that NASA address to work; no reply, i.e. SYN_SENT.)
Claude wrote:clouds have broken for a few seconds, so, here's my contribution
about 30 minutes after it started....
Thank you, Claude!
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Argus wrote:BTW, I never got that NASA address to work; no reply, i.e. SYN_SENT
Does http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; work? If so, you can use the < link below the picture to go back to the picture for the 20th of December.
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

HansV wrote:
Argus wrote:BTW, I never got that NASA address to work; no reply, i.e. SYN_SENT
Does http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; work? If so, you can use the < link below the picture to go back to the picture for the 20th of December.
Nope; it seems to be a problem connecting to NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center (i.e. anything in the *.gsfc.nasa.gov path; same goes for apod.nasa.gov, i.e Astronomy Picture of the Day).

Usually when it ends in a SYN_SENT it's not a problem with a single page; it's the whole shebang in my experience.

No problem with their home, or its images etc. :shrug:
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Must be a revenge for your ISP hosting WikiLeakss... :evilgrin:
Best wishes,
Hans

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

The days ARE starting to get LONGER WOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!

As an aside to Argus' posting about Goddard Space Flight Center; in high school we were privileged to tour
this facility in Greenbelt, Maryland, USA. It captured my attention then and still holds it to this day :-)

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

I thought this a fitting addition to this thread since Neil is one of my favourite columnists from the Sun Times

We are a people prone toward seeing wonders - Chicago Sun-Times

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

(Off topic, but since we do not have that many stellar-threads, well, most of our threads are stellar, but there are not that many about stellar phenomena.)

We had a partial solar eclipse this morning in Europe. Apparently, this time, the greatest eclipse occurred in northern Sweden. But if you ask me it's not much difference between 78 or 83 % etc, :sneaky: Anyhow, I think they had a cloudy morning in many places in the north, (if we go even further north some do not see the sun at all, or almost not, sunrise at 11:07 and sunset at 12:20, 73 minutes... :grin:); here, in the middle of the country in the eastern part, on the other hand, the sky was quite clear around 09:00-10:00 CET. But since I had no equipment (welding goggles etc) around I did not fancy staring right at it. :ouch: But it was definitely possible to notice a shift in light intensity.