Christmas Candy

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Christmas Candy

Post by Bigaldoc »

I'm no cook but I manage. I had a hankering for a Christmas treat I learned about when I came to Kentucky many years ago - bourbon balls! Seems like they only get popular around this time of year. So, I ordered some by mail from a Kentucky candy company and they arrived yesterday.

Now this is a box of CHOCOLATE candy, measuring maybe 6-8" by 12-18" and has a lot of candy in it (haven't opened it yet, so I don't know how many). I had to laugh at this label on the outside of the shipping container! I can't imagine one old guy eating a whole box of BOURBON ball candy in one sitting, so they'll have to stay in the fridge, but a few at a time! :fanfare: :innocent:
rebecca ruth.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Argus
GoldLounger

Re: Christmas Candy

Post by Argus »

Bigaldoc wrote:I can't imagine one old guy eating a whole box of BOURBON ball candy in one sitting ...
:laugh: :chocciebar: :munch: :coffeetime: :chocciebar: :chocciebar: :munch: :coffeetime: :chocciebar: :chocciebar: :chocciebar: :munch: :coffeetime: :yum: :chocciebar: :chocciebar: :chocciebar: :chocciebar: :chocciebar: :bananas: :groovin:
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Tell me, are these filled with REAL bourbon, or only flavored with bourbon?
Kind of like: you can't eat just one? Sound GREAT to me! Can you order with Jack Daniels or specific booze? :chocciebar: :cloud9:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Just re-read that label and it says you MUST eat them all upon opening the box!
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

viking33 wrote:Tell me, are these filled with REAL bourbon, or only flavored with bourbon?
Kind of like: you can't eat just one? Sound GREAT to me! Can you order with Jack Daniels or specific booze?
I'm not really qualified to answer, Bob, except on the periphery of what goes into the making of a bourbon ball. First of all they use real Kentucky BOURBON, not Tennessee sour mash (Jack Daniels!). And no, you don't get to choose what bourbon is used in the making. As I understand it, from a couple of ladies I know who MAKE them, the nuts that are put into the inside of the candy are SOAKED in bourbon for some period of time. They are NOT like a chocolate covered cherry where you bite it and the juice of the cherry is noticeable. When you eat a bourbon ball there is no liquid present. I guess one would say the bourbon is "embedded" in the nuts.

BUT, a well made bourbon ball is NOT something you want to eat too many of unless you're ready to take a lie down afterward. Eating them IS a great temptation to have SEVERAL and therein lies the reason they were a no-no at my long time place of employment!

In this neck of the woods they are also very expensive. I'm waiting until Monday to open the first of the two boxes I bought so I can take a few to a couple of ladies I know to let them see what they think of Rebecca Ruth's product.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

viking33 wrote:... Can you order with Jack Daniels or specific booze?
I couldn't stand the suspense. Opened a box and ate a few. Now I'm gonna go take a nap! :grin:

Here's the answer to what's inside. All these years living here and I didn't know it's the first Kentucky bourbon:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Bigaldoc wrote:
viking33 wrote:... Can you order with Jack Daniels or specific booze?
I couldn't stand the suspense. Opened a box and ate a few. Now I'm gonna go take a nap! :grin:
Here's the answer to what's inside. All these years living here and I didn't know it's the first Kentucky bourbon:
To show how ignorant I am about liquor, I thought bourbon was bourbon and whisky was whisky. I didn't realize that bourbon is a whisky!
Maybe to clear my mind, I ought to imbibe in something other than :coffeetime:

:cheers: :cheers:
Merry Christmas and a Happy Happy Happy New Year!
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Skitterbug wrote: To show how ignorant I am about liquor, I thought bourbon was bourbon and whisky was whisky. I didn't realize that bourbon is a whisky!
Maybe to clear my mind, I ought to imbibe in something other than :coffeetime:

:cheers: :cheers:
Merry Christmas and a Happy Happy Happy New Year!
:clapping: :fanfare: :scratch: :laugh: :cheers: Too funny :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image