Marvellous invention

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Marvellous invention

Post by Dave Davison »

The inventor of this marvel certainly puts his money where his mouth is [as we would say here in the uk] by offering a finger to the tungsten carbide tipped blade. Cheers Dave.
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=E3mzhvMgrLE&NR=1

HansV
Administrator

Re: Marvellous invention

Post by HansV »

That's amazing! (I'm not sure I'd have dared it...)
Best wishes,
Hans

VegasNath
5StarLounger

Post by VegasNath »

With my luck, i'd lose my arm...... Even safety equipment is not safe around me :duck:
:wales: Nathan :uk:
There's no place like home.....

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:That's amazing! (I'm not sure I'd have dared it...)
Yabbut:
(1) If his finger HAD have come off, I bet there'd have been no handshakes-all-round at the end of the filming and
(2) I noticed the disintegration of the device; fair enough, but where's the interlock to render the device inoperative until a new assembly ($60) is put in?

I foresee a horrible case where a dummy fires it up again immediately to give a second demonstration.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
HansV wrote:That's amazing! (I'm not sure I'd have dared it...)
Yabbut:
(1) If his finger HAD have come off, I bet there'd have been no handshakes-all-round at the end of the filming and
(2) I noticed the disintegration of the device; fair enough, but where's the interlock to render the device inoperative until a new assembly ($60) is put in?

I foresee a horrible case where a dummy fires it up again immediately to give a second demonstration.
(1) It was tested may times using a "hot dog" before using a finger.

(2) The blade is embedded into the safety block and can not be removed with out removing the full assembly with the blade.

This has been around for some time, but the price is another story. There has been a move by a small group of safety minded people to make this safety device a requirement on all table saws. One problem, the ONLY source is the maker shown in the video. And it takes about 3 weeks to get a replacement each time one test out the device to see if it is working. The cost of the new safety device is about the cost of a new saw from a different maker. Then you need a NEW blade also, and they do not come cheap in today's world.

Most woodworkers are not going to test this out to many times, and I do not have all of the "As supplied" safety dices on my saw as they interferr with a lot of the cuttings.

Great idea, but I do NOT think I will ever have one.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living