When Niagara ran dry

Goshute
3StarLounger

When Niagara ran dry

Post by Goshute »

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/day-Niaga ... dryniagara" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Goshute
I float in liquid gardens

steveh
SilverLounger

Re: When Niagara ran dry

Post by steveh »

I had never heard of this being done and when a read the accompanying short story it made me wonder where all of the water would be diverted to and my first Google search turned this straight up, http://www.niagarafrontier.com/dewater.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, if you have 10 minutes it is a great read and there are also other pictures.
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

steveh wrote:If you have 10 minutes it is a great read and there are also other pictures.
For a better coverage, turn to "Engineers for the public good" by Nuala Drescher. There is no cataloging data in my copy, but it was published by/on behalf of the United States Army Corps of Engineers, Buffalo District.

Pages 257-264, 1 diagram, 7 photos, one of which is a double-page spread, which is too large for me to scan completely. A reduced-size truncated version is here:
Scan10008 (Small).JPG
P.S. I found a digital copy http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?seq=273&view=image&size=50&id=uc1.b4241852&u=1&num=257
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

I went there in 1987, and they told me that Niagara Falls were only turned on during the day, for the tourists! (The explanation was that all the chemical companies in Niagara abstracted huge amounts of water.)

It was also the first time that I had come across the curious construction that "this part of the falls was named for <someone or other>", as opposed to the more logical named after...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

They do it (almost) every day in Terni, Italy

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:I went there in 1987, and they told me that Niagara Falls were only turned on during the day, for the tourists!
I believe there is an element of truth in that.
I have read that the flow over the falls is curtailed at night time by the diversion of water through the hydroelectric tunnels; the economy of the Canadian side of the border needs water in the daytime to attract the tourist Dollars.

I figure a direct-debit coin-in-the-slot arrangement can't be far away.
("All together now, everybody press SEND!")

The power authorities pump water into reservoirs to draw it off during daylight hours.

A similar scheme is in effect at Kinzua dam, but the tourist brochures at the visitor centre incorrectly state that they perform this feat with absolutely no loss of energy!
2.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Bowlie wrote:They do it (almost) every day in Terni, Italy
They terni the taps on and off?

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
Bowlie wrote:They do it (almost) every day in Terni, Italy
They terni the taps on and off?
Whats the matter you? You no-a read-a my post-a??? (With apologies to all Italians, except that idiot that almost drove me off the road last night).

If you follow the link you see that, in December at least, they turni the taps on only on the weekend, the rest of the week they are turnied off.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Bowlie wrote:You no-a read-a my post-a???
Sorry, Bowlie; I was too busy listening to a You Tube Video, bringing back memories of my wonderful childhood in W.A. surrounded by kind Italians, Greeks, Poles etc. all a-workin' ona da railway.

P.S. A quote from anotherforum:
"" 'Shaddap You Face' in its twenty-third year as the most successful song in Australian music history, breaks the twenty-two year record set by Slim Dusty and 'The Pub With No Beer', which was released in 1957, and held the record until 1979, when it was overtaken by Mike Brady and The Two Man Band, with 'Up There Cazaly'" "

Jezza
5StarLounger

Post by Jezza »

Here is a (very bad) picture I took of the brink on the Canadian side in August this year, note how they also dye the water red to attract gullible tourists :evilgrin:
Last edited by Jezza on 17 Dec 2010, 15:15, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry
I’ll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there’s evidence of any thinking going on inside it

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Jezza wrote:... in August this year,
They floodlight the falls in winter too, to fool the tourists who think that the falls don't freeze over.

Goshute
3StarLounger

Post by Goshute »

ChrisGreaves wrote:I have read that the flow over the falls is curtailed at night time by the diversion of water through the hydroelectric tunnels...
Not exactly related, but in "The secret knowledge of water", author Craig Childs describes small desert streams which flow only at night, because during the day the surrounding plants draw much more water in for respiration than at night, and lower the water table below the stream bed. I would like to see that in my lifetime.
Goshute

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Goshute wrote:Not exactly related, ... surrounding plants
Au Contraire, mon ami.
Just that in the case of Niagara it is a hydro-electric plant!

Goshute
3StarLounger

Post by Goshute »

Au Contraire, mon ami.
And the diurnal cycle of above ground water is opposite, yes, otherwise completely identical. :grin:
Goshute