A Bagpiper's Tale

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

A Bagpiper's Tale

Post by Doc Watson »

As a bagpiper, I play many gigs. Recently, I was asked by a funeral director to play at a graveside service for a homeless man. He had no family or friends, so the service was to be at a pauper's cemetery in the Kentucky back-country.
As I was not familiar with the backwoods, I got lost; and being a typical man, I didn't stop for directions. I finally arrived an hour late and saw the funeral guy had evidently gone and the hearse was nowhere in sight.
There were only the diggers and crew left and they were eating lunch. I felt badly and apologized to the men for being late. I went to the side of the grave and looked down and the vault lid was already in place. I didn't know what else to do, so I started to play.
The workers put down their lunches and began to gather around. I played out my heart and soul for this man with no family and friends. I played like I've never played before for this homeless man.
And as I played 'Amazing Grace,' the workers began to weep. They wept, I wept, we all wept together. When I finished, I packed up my bagpipes and started for my car. Though my head hung low, my heart was full.
As I was opening the door to my car, I heard one of the workers say, "I never seen nothin' like that before, and I've been putting in septic tanks for over twenty years."
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

HansV
Administrator

Re: A Bagpiper's Tale

Post by HansV »

:blackteeth:
Best wishes,
Hans

steveh
SilverLounger

Post by steveh »

Doc Watson wrote:And as I played 'Amazing Grace,' the workers began to weep. They wept, I wept, we all wept together. When I finished, I packed up my bagpipes and started for my car. Though my head hung low, my heart was full.
"
:laugh:

You had me going there Doc, I was on the wept part and my eyes were welling up, and then the punchline, one born every minute and I am one!!
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin

Catz
StarLounger

Post by Catz »

:laugh: :clapping: :laugh: :clapping:

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Doc Watson wrote:As a bagpiper, I play many gigs. As I was opening the door to my car, I heard one of the workers say, "I never seen nothin' like that before, and I've been putting in septic tanks for over twenty years."
I thought for a while, you were recounting a personal experience! :blush: :groan: :grin:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Samantha
3StarLounger

Post by Samantha »

Doc, perhaps you're familiar with this version of Scotland the Brave?
Samantha

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

Just in case you think all bagpipers are like Scotty from Star Trek...

http://www.clanadonia.co.uk/visualmedia.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(don't forget to turn the volume up!)
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

viking33 wrote:
Doc Watson wrote:As a bagpiper, I play many gigs. As I was opening the door to my car, I heard one of the workers say, "I never seen nothin' like that before, and I've been putting in septic tanks for over twenty years."
I thought for a while, you were recounting a personal experience! :blush: :groan: :grin:
"Ditto" :scratch: I read the "Kentucky back-country" part and noticed you were in NJ so was confident this would end intermentedly :clapping:
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

Samantha wrote:Doc, perhaps you're familiar with this version of Scotland the Brave?
I'm sorry Samantha... I don't play the dog. :grin: :groan:
Last edited by Doc Watson on 01 Feb 2010, 05:13, edited 1 time in total.
You may be dyslexic.

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

viking33 wrote:
Well Bob, it was rather personal. It was my septic tank. :groovin:
You may be dyslexic.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Hey Jude wrote:... I read the "Kentucky back-country" part and ...
Ooh, mebbe Doc shoulda given it to ME to post and that would've blown your mind (as the kids used to say)!!! :thumbup: