in case you haven't heard...

HansV
Administrator

Re: in case you haven't heard...

Post by HansV »

It was an inflatable dome - couldn't they have blown hot air into it? Or would that have caused the Metrodome to take off into the sky?
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

I think the design engineer(s) who came up with that roof plan have been added to the ranks of the unemployed. :groan:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

garbsmj
4StarLounger

Post by garbsmj »

Okay, it was built to sort of handle our winters and has collapsed before but this appears to be the worst time. Blame the snow, not the builders. And as to employment - I think some jobs just "opened up" there.
When one cat leaves, another mysteriously shows up.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

garbsmj wrote:[...]Not so much our poor Metrodome....http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/news ... ec-12-2010
Last winter, earlier this year, we had several (I don't know, at least more than 175) roofs (small, medium, big, often with large spans; agricultural buildings, sports arenas etc.) that collapsed over here, but usually it was smaller buildings; it was, apart from train disruptions that followed the snow chaos, the main topic for conversation that winter. On the other hand in most cases it wasn't caused by the snow per se; more likely design and construction, and in some cases maintenance. The snow merely exposed the weak points.
viking33 wrote:I think the design engineer(s) who came up with that roof plan have been added to the ranks of the unemployed. :groan:
"fiberglass fabric roof … self-supported by air-pressure"; hmmn in heavy snow areas? Guess the "domed roof" became a "doomed roof". But it seems like it has deflated earlier. By the way, I've been at that arena some 20 years ago.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

garbsmj wrote:Not to worry everybody - I was able to dig out of my 2' of snow thanks to a neighbor with a snow blower and they finally started thinking about plowing the roads so we can get around. Not so much our poor Metrodome....http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/news ... ec-12-2010

Ah another day on the praire... :flee:
Ouch, I saw that video on Facebook earlier in the afternoon. Thank God that it didn't happen DURING a game. I guess they must've expected it, having a camera ready to film the "event."

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Bigaldoc wrote:I guess they must've expected it, having a camera ready to film the "event."
Yes, the game planned for Sunday had already been postponed because of the danger of the roof collapsing.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

Argus wrote:I think all but Bowlie mention their location in their member profile so that it shows up next to the user picture and other information in every post, in the mini profile.
:blush: Oops, now fixed!

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

HansV wrote:
Bigaldoc wrote:I guess they must've expected it, having a camera ready to film the "event."
Yes, the game planned for Sunday had already been postponed because of the danger of the roof collapsing.
Not only postponed but moved to a different city.
Detroit, Michigan! Talk about sore losers! :blush:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The snow does make for pretty pictures...
Street Lamp.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Yes, very attractive and still instantly recognisable as somewhere in The Netherlands.

If the forecast is to be believed we're due to get more here on Sat. Today though it's clear blue sky and very, very cold.

Ken

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

stuck wrote:...Today though it's clear blue sky and very, very cold.
Here in East London there is a blue sky AND lots of nasty cold white stuff falling on the ground.
StuartR

VegasNath
5StarLounger

Post by VegasNath »

StuartR wrote:
stuck wrote:...Today though it's clear blue sky and very, very cold.
Here in East London there is a blue sky AND lots of nasty cold white stuff falling on the ground.
Oddly enough, that is exactly what we are experiencing in Cardiff, very pretty scenes, but likely to cause days of disruption. Thankfully, I have no need to leave the house for the next few days, so can enjoy the scenery from the comforts of home.
:wales: Nathan :uk:
There's no place like home.....

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

HansV wrote:The snow does make for pretty pictures...
Is that a photo you took at your place?

What I'm curious about is how come, at the temperatures I presume, the canal doesn't "ice over" at least thinly?

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Bigaldoc wrote:What I'm curious about is how come, at the temperatures I presume, the canal doesn't "ice over" at least thinly?
In coastal regions of western Europe, the atmosphere is quite mild and damp and it is not uncommon for us to have snow falling at temperatures several degrees above 0°C. (Certainly in my part of the world we have an expression "It's too cold to snow."). Coupled with the fact the canal water will not be pure, I would expect canals freezing over may be the exception rather than the rule.

(See also Dutch canals freeze for the first time in twelve years)
Leif

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Bigaldoc wrote:What I'm curious about is how come, at the temperatures I presume, the canal doesn't "ice over" at least thinly?
I guess that if there is a steady flow of water, a current, it may take quite some time before, if ever, it freezes; and that also depends on the surroundings, the depth, what's in the water etc.
One interesting phenomenon is shown here: The Mystery of the Clam Lake Canal.
"Soon after the winter temperatures were consistently below freezing but before the lakes were frozen, the canal would be covered with ice. However, after the lakes froze, the canal would thaw and remain that way throughout the winter."
But that's in a different part of the world.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Bigaldoc wrote:Is that a photo you took at your place?
Yes, from my balcony.

The temperature is only just below the freezing point, and the canal is actually a river, so the water flow keeps it from freezing over until it gets really cold.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The canals have mostly frozen over now:
Christmas.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Oh wow, that's really pretty.

:innocent: Leiden looks like somewhere well worth visiting.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

stuck wrote:Leiden looks like somewhere well worth visiting.
But you might get stuck there because of the snow... :evilgrin:
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Speaking of getting stuck because of the snow. A certain stuckling put my little car on top of a hedge, instead of going round a corner, on his way home last night. He's OK but the car's nearside front wheel, suspension & steering is going to cost £££ to sort out.

Ken