in case you haven't heard...

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

in case you haven't heard...

Post by stuck »

...there's more than just a little bit of :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: in this part of the world
http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/york/hi/peo ... 388401.stm

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Re: in case you haven't heard...

Post by HansV »

BBC wrote:A sculpture of the Roman Emperor Constantine the Great can be seen in front of the grassy area.
Grassy area?

(We've had an inch or two of snow on Monday, and since it's freezing it's still there, very unusual so early in the winter - usually the snow melts away within an hour or so. Is this going to be the second severe winter in a row?)
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I had to go round to my Dad's house this morning, to dig his car out of the snow so he could go out.
StuartR

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

From the same page, is the BBC Radio York bus webcam for real? The date-stamp on the image appears to be the 17th of June, 1981....
Leif

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I guess the clock battery ran out... :grin:

The cars in that picture don't look like they're from 1981 (apart from the fact that there were no webcams in 1981...)
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The one from Swaledale looks spectacular, by the way:
swaledale.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

HansV wrote:I guess the clock battery ran out... :grin:
Nah, I think it's just Yorkshire. Thirty years behind the rest of the country.... :grin:

:flee: :flee: :flee:
Leif

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Leif wrote:...Nah, I think it's just Yorkshire. Thirty years behind the rest of the country....
AND proud of it!
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

:hmmn: I typed a reply to Hans first message, along the lines of ~10cm has fallen this morning alone, plus it's snowed everyday since Saturday and that I was leaving work so I could get home in daylight but it seems to have been lost in a snow drift :laugh:

Anyway... once I cleared the snow off the car it wasn't too bad. My normal 10 min drive home only took about 20 mins. the road was wet & slushy so the tyres were more or less in contact with Tarmac. Unlike Saturday evening...

That was scary. I stupidly took the back road home from the city centre at about 7;30pm. It was already -8degC and the road was like glass. Even at 15 mph the steering was a light as a feather. That normally 20 min trip took me nearly an hour.

Ken

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Talking of driving, I am quite surprised and dismayed at how difficult it is to get winter tyres in this country. They don't 'alf make a difference....
Leif

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

The view from my kitchen window this morning, about 20cms overnight, at least another 10 during the day ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Bowlie, nice picture. Is that much snow at this time of the year normal for your part of Switzerland?
Best wishes,
Hans

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

Late Nov/Early Dec is very early for any snow in/around Geneva. Maybe the tops of the Jura, and definitely the Alps will have snow, but not down here! We are quite low here around 380m (1250 ft). I usually shovel 3 or 4 times a year, last year it was 6 times so this is part of a trend. I shoveled the drive 4 times today, it just wouldn't stop.

I don't even have my snow tyres/tires on yet. Have an appointment for Friday, hope there is less snow so I can get to the place to have my snows put on :hairout:

Geneva airport closed at 20h30 last night, and won't reopen until 06h00 tomorrow, if ever! Only the third time in history that it's closed for more than 24h.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Beautiful picture, Bowlie. It would make a great Christmas card to send to family and friends.

While you Europeans have my sympathy for all the snow you've been getting, what appears to have fallen in front of York Minster would only qualify as a 'light dusting' of snow here... if we ever get any. Nothing but miserable rain today. I might have to go out and mow the lawn again. Very unusual for December.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

PaulB wrote:Beautiful picture, Bowlie. It would make a great Christmas card to send to family and friends.

While you Europeans have my sympathy for all the snow you've been getting, what appears to have fallen in front of York Minster would only qualify as a 'light dusting' of snow here... if we ever get any. Nothing but miserable rain today. I might have to go out and mow the lawn again. Very unusual for December.
And I thought Ottawa was the coldest capital city on the planet ... (and I've been there in February!)

Problem here is that such snowfalls are very unusual, even in Jan/Feb, so they just don't have the fancy machines to deal with it. The biggest problem is what to do with all the snow that is shoveled! It needs to go somewhere. Apparently the reason why Geneva airport is still closed is that they don't have anywhere to dump the snow cleared from the runways / ramps. Environment laws forbid dumping it just anywhere.

Goshute
3StarLounger

Post by Goshute »

We are also having good snow in the Rockies. For the first time in years, I have been skiing twice, in good to great conditions, before the end of November. Here are some experts at my resort of choice taken about November 29, showing how good the snow is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RaYOGqdfVw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(What they don't show is that to get to the first area shown is a quarter mile hike, and to get from there to the second area under the lift you have to negotiate some short cliff bands. Which is why I don't go to this particular area. If those cliffs weren't there you couldn't keep me away.)
Goshute
I float in liquid gardens

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

Just a wee bit here...
back.jpg
Since this was taken the street has been ploughed and the wheels are no longer visible...
car.jpg
I had actually cleaned the car off on Sunday when I tackled the hellish journey of taking my grandson home. I think the problem is we're just not used to weather like this here.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

wasbit
2StarLounger

Post by wasbit »

Don't know what you are all worried about. :smile:
Shiver - 05 Found yet more cars.jpg
Shiver - 09 Scraping the windscreen.jpg
Who left the window open?
Regards
wasbit

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Bowlie wrote:And I thought Ottawa was the coldest capital city on the planet ... (and I've been there in February!)
Moscow and Ottawa usually fight over that honour every year, each hoping the other will win. Cold and rain is the problem. If all this rain turns to freezing rain and ice we're in deep trouble. Snow is not nice at the best of times but is much easier to navigate than glaring ice or black ice. Even snow tires don't help very much under those conditions. Enjoy your nice weather!
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Goshute wrote:We are also having good snow in the Rockies. For the first time in years, I have been skiing twice, in good to great conditions, before the end of November. Here are some experts at my resort of choice taken about November 29, showing how good the snow is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RaYOGqdfVw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(What they don't show is that to get to the first area shown is a quarter mile hike, and to get from there to the second area under the lift you have to negotiate some short cliff bands. Which is why I don't go to this particular area. If those cliffs weren't there you couldn't keep me away.)
Yes, the storm you are having is the one we in the Greater Seattle area had a few days before. It brought Seattle to a stand still. Some people did not get home from work until the next day. Most of the traffic problems involved the Metro buses, and several of the stalled ones had a "We will get you there" ad on the side of the bus. For this area, when it gets below the "20's", thing just do not move much. This all happened on Monday before Thanksgiving, but things cleared up enough that all was able to the stores and then on Thursday were able to get with their family for the Holiday.

Some of the flights were grounded at SeaTac, as the crews and staff we not able to get to the airport.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living