Woolworth's Menu

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Woolworth's Menu

Post by viking33 »

Some may remember the F.W. Woolworth stores that were known as "five and tens" because a lot of things sold for 5 or 10 cents.
Here is a copy of a menu from their lunch counter. Prices weren't bad!
Capture1-29-2010-7.48.41 PM.jpg
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Woolworth's Menu

Post by ChrisGreaves »

viking33 wrote: Prices weren't bad!
Thanks for this. I have printed off a copy and will insert it inside the menu book next time I am at The Montreal Deli for Saturday-morning breakfast.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

viking33 wrote:Some may remember the F.W. Woolworth stores that were known as "five and tens" because a lot of things sold for 5 or 10 cents.
They also had a yummy penny candy counter! :clapping: I miss the store lots! :yep:
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

Samantha
3StarLounger

Post by Samantha »

So what's with the Super Jumbo Banana Split for 39 cents? It is the only item on the menu that doesn't fit the "five and dime" model.
Samantha

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Skitterbug wrote:
viking33 wrote:Some may remember the F.W. Woolworth stores that were known as "five and tens" because a lot of things sold for 5 or 10 cents.
They also had a yummy penny candy counter! :clapping: I miss the store lots! :yep:
We knew them as "five and dime" stores and I always loved the soda fountain where we hung out while the folks did whatever it was folks did back then. Downing root beer floats with the huge scoops of vanilla ice cream in frosted float glasses was the highlight of our visit. They were so frothy and we had contests to see who could slurp the loudest--course that always gave us extra scoops of ice cream to fill up the glasses. Great memory lane tripping....
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

Samantha
3StarLounger

Post by Samantha »

We didn't have a soda fountain in our local Woolworth's when I was a kid. :sad:

My strongest memory of Woolworths was the lack of cash registers on the sales floor. The clerk would hand-write the receipt on a ticket and sent it upstairs to the cashier with the payment via pneumatic tube, and in a few moments the tube would come swooshing back with the change.
Samantha

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Samantha wrote:... payment via pneumatic tube,
Yup! There was a hardware store in Gawler, near Adelaide, had these functioning and in full use as their system back in the late 1970s. I read somewhere that the store is nor modernized, but the tubes are kept in working order as a museum piece.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

The first thing my eyes fell on was the Coke and its price! Brought back a faded memory of this radio commercial which I can still sing the tune to:

Pepsi Cola hits the spot
    Twelve full ounces, that's a lot
    Twice as much for a nickel too
    Pepsi Cola is the drink for you!

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Here is a copy of a menu from their lunch counter. Prices weren't bad!]
Roughly what date was that? Shortly after WWII, maybe?

("Goes good with food" indicates a fundamental absence of Use of English skills among the approving management!)
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Samantha wrote:We didn't have a soda fountain in our local Woolworth's when I was a kid. :sad:

My strongest memory of Woolworths was the lack of cash registers on the sales floor. The clerk would hand-write the receipt on a ticket and sent it upstairs to the cashier with the payment via pneumatic tube, and in a few moments the tube would come swooshing back with the change.
Even banks weren't primed pneumatically speaking; prioritizing customer appreciation was the rule of thumb. Did you feel "at one" with the pneumatics when you no longer felt the urge to go chat with the tellers ?
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

Catz
StarLounger

Post by Catz »

From what I can remember the reason Woolworth’s and many stores and banks like it in the NYC area had a tube system and no cash registers on their main floor, was a deterrent to stop robberies from both the local crooks and it’s own employees.

The tubes lead to a room somewhere else in the building that was built like a large bank vault with roughly six to seven people that would handle all the cash.

How long the tube system lasted is only a guess, but I believe it did stop many major robberies.

With those systems the only kind of theft that occurred was shoplifting.

It was great having a few Woolworth’s within walking distance of my childhood home.

The best part was sitting at the counter at eight years old, with my friends and having a waitress plunk down in front of me that enormous banana split, which I can remember in 1950 was only 20 cents.

At certain times of the year they also had these balloons, that when you ordered a banana split, the waitress would hand you one and when you popped it, in side of it was the cost of your banana split, which sometimes was anything from a penny to it's full price.

At that time I could have sworn their banana splits were two feet long and a foot high.

Found a copy of that menu on the net, which is from 1957.

Thanks Viking for the trip back in time. :groan:

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Samantha wrote:So what's with the Super Jumbo Banana Split for 39 cents? It is the only item on the menu that doesn't fit the "five and dime" model.
That's why they were known as "Super Jumbo." 39 cents was Super jumbo! :yep: :joy:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.