I have been a bit out of it lately

DaveA
GoldLounger

I have been a bit out of it lately

Post by DaveA »

Got hit with a kidney stone on Thursday night, saw the doctor on Friday. When to the ER on Saturday and then on Tuesday had a shunt installed. On Friday I go back and have the 9mm stone sonic shattered, and then the followup appointments.

I have never had this much pain in one small spot, I was told it is worst than a women having a baby.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

StuartR
Administrator

Re: I have been a bit out of it lately

Post by StuartR »

My goodness, they got on with that fast.

I do hope it stops hurting soon.
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

:ouch: I feel for you! I haven't experienced kidney stones myself, but my brother has, and I know from him how excruciating the pain can be!

All the best, Dave. I hope the pain will be over soon.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

O U C H ! ! !

Sorry to hear about your painful experience, Dave!

Hope the sonic process handles everything and that you have no further problems.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Dave

They have given up on trying to shatter my kidney stones with extracorporeal lithotripsy, because they are too hard! They have been sitting in place without much of a problem for at least three years. Hope I don't have to have another percutaneous nephrolithotomy! (Don't-cha love the medical jargon?!)

And yes, kidney stone pain is much worse than having a baby. At least it is in my experience!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

DenGar
3StarLounger

Post by DenGar »

DaveA wrote:Got hit with a kidney stone on Thursday night, saw the doctor on Friday. When to the ER on Saturday and then on Tuesday had a shunt installed. On Friday I go back and have the 9mm stone sonic shattered, and then the followup appointments.

I have never had this much pain in one small spot, I was told it is worst than a women having a baby.
Been there, done that. My "war" story: I passed three stones in one week, but fortunately they did not cause the intense pain you experienced. Went to my urologist and had an x-ray taken. After it was developed, the urologist anxiously called me into his examination room and showed me the x-ray. He said I had a "gravel pit" of stones in both kidneys that required immediate attention. He couldn't believe I didn't feel discomfort in my kidney area.

To the OR I went the same day. I had so many stones and they were of such hardness that he could "blast" only a few at a time. Outcome: I had to go through six (!) procedures to get them all removed--once a week, all the while with a shunt inserted. Eventually, the doctor got them all. During that six weeks, all the OR personnel and I got to know each other on a first-name basis. My last visit, I gave them a big cake; they gave me a basket of fruit.

And, on another medical topic, I'm reminded of my favorite colonoscopy joke:

A physician claimed that the following are actual comments made by his patients (predominately male) while he was performing their colonoscopies:

1. ‘Take it easy, Doc. You’re boldly going where no man has gone before!’
2. ‘Find Amelia Earhart yet?’
3. ‘Can you hear me NOW?’
4. ‘Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?’
5. ‘You know, in Arkansas , we’re now legally married.’
6. ‘Any sign of the trapped miners, Chief?’
7. ‘You put your left hand in, you take your left hand out…’
8. ‘Hey! Now I know how a Muppet feels!’
9. ‘If your hand doesn’t fit, you must quit!’
10. ‘Hey Doc, let me know if you find my dignity.’
11. ‘You used to be an executive at Enron, didn’t you?’
And the best one of all:
12. ‘Could you write a note for my wife saying that my head is not up there?’

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Good luck with it - you have my commiserations!

(I hope WSL gives you sick pay while you're on sick leave :laugh: )

And talking of stones, BBC News - Impact 'catastrophe calculator' updated allows you to see what would happen if a really big kidney-shaped stone hit our planet. Unfortunately, it doesn't allow you to specify cities to practice on, like say - oh - I don't know.... Toronto? :evilgrin:
Leif

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Post by Rebel »

I can certainly sympathize with you Dave. I've had three (very small) stones, and I've been able to pass each of them without a visit to the hospital. But the pain is certainly the most intense and the most excruciating that I've ever experienced.

But you and I are fortunate. One of my golfing buddies has an extremely rare disease (and I can't remember the name). His body continuously produces stones and he averages two to three visits to the emergency room at the local hospital EVERY month. This started when he was in his late 20's and has continued to date. He actually received a medical discharge from the Canadian Armed Forces due to this condition. I can't imagine the pain that he must endure on an ongoing basis, let alone the dreaded anticipation that must feel every day of his life.
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Thanks one and all for the kind words.
As you can see I am back for a few, as I have some discomfort and some real sharp pains as I let that salt water flush the system.

I have been able to eat soft foods and get some sleep at all times of the day and night. I am mainly exhausted than anything else this time. I go go back in tomorrow at 2:00pm Seattle time for the blasting.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Good luck for tomorrow, Dave!
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

And good luck from me!
Leif

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Good luck, Dave!!

Joe
Joe

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

DaveA wrote:"I have never had this much pain in one small spot, I was told it is worst than a women having a baby."
DaveA wrote:Thanks one and all for the kind words.
As you can see I am back for a few, as I have some discomfort and some real sharp pains as I let that salt water flush the system.

I have been able to eat soft foods and get some sleep at all times of the day and night. I am mainly exhausted than anything else this time. I go go back in tomorrow at 2:00pm Seattle time for the blasting.
I hope "the blasting" goes according to plan! The memory of childbirth pain recedes enough for most women to want a second child but even with the receding of your pain, I expect you'll never want any more kidney stones - ever!
Take care and recover quickly!
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

God Bless, Dave and I hope the docs and techs can rid you of this very painful problem. I've never had them but I've had a few family members who have echoed your story about the pain.

Please keep us posted...

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

Hope all is well again ASAP Dave. Here's to speedy recovery!
Cheers, Claude.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Well, I am up and walking around. I have been passing a lot of water and things seem to working fine. Bit of pain in small of the back, and have to hang loose near a "Porcelain Throne".
It was nice as I had the same crew that I had the first time and being not in the pain that I was then we were able to even giggle about things. One of the nurses is retiring in a few days so she was being shadowed by a couple of replacements, they with their handwritten lists and her with just you memories telling her what need to be done when. It was fun to watch.
Spent about 1 1/5 hours sleeping and that is all I can say that happened, but the staff said they had a great retirement party, but I will not be getting a copy of the CD. [smile]

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Good to hear :thumbup:
Leif

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Hi Dave, I am glad it went well. I wish you a speedy recovery.
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Let's hope that's it, and they don't return.
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

DaveA wrote:Well, I am up and walking around.
Good to hear, and thanks for the news.
I'm not all that happy to hear of yet-another-thing that may yet come to (not) pass in my time on this planet (grin!)
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle