80 column punched cards

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

80 column punched cards

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I must confess that the bloom is going off my keeness for 80 column punched cards.

80-column Punched cards are generally held to be 187 millimetres by 83 millimetres by 0.179 millimetres thick.
A punched card’s volume is therefore 2,770.5 cubic millimetres
Such a card can hold 12x80 or 960 bits .
The volume cost of a bit is therefore 2.89 cubic millimetres.

My new (this week) Sandisk 1TB SSDs (I bought two) made me think. I do believe that each drive is smaller than the boxes my Matchbox cars arrived in each Christmas prior to 1956.

The attached spreadsheet, if I’m any good at Excel, suggests that one of my SSDs, if full of data, would require enough 80-column punched cards to cover 60 Canon Bayley Road to a depth of about forty-five metres.
This means that my fifteen cubic-metre compost bins would be quite overwhelmed with brown matter this year.
20240515_062249 [640x480].jpg
Here is a picture taken three days ago as I began to empty last year's grass clippings from my fifteen bins.

And here is a Thelwell cartoon that inspired me.

So now you know why my home is called The Landfall Garden HOUSE!
Cheers, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By definition, educating the client is the consultant’s first objective

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Re: 80 column punched cards

Post by PJ_in_FL »

Still spreading muck?

Just finished spreading 11 cu yds of mulch in the back yard. 3 years of neglect called for three weekends of slavish labor
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

But you can't punch your name into a 1TB Sandisk...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Gray

If you are having problems with solitude, you are not alone.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

PJ_in_FL wrote:
18 May 2024, 23:07
Still spreading muck? Just finished spreading 11 cu yds of mulch in the back yard. 3 years of neglect called for three weekends of slavish labor ...
... Directions

Hi PJ. I am delayed by my lack of energy following a virus attack. I seem to be limited to 30-minute stints in the yard, and that's on days when there's no wind-chill.
I am a tad better organized this year, with three bins emptied, and my neighbours asking for compost, I should be all-emptied-out before the first truckload of grass clippings arrives.
Cheers, Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:
19 May 2024, 08:48
But you can't punch your name into a 1TB Sandisk...
John, as usual you are write!
That said, my neighbor and good friend David is a dab hand with a drill press, so don't tempt me.
(Foot of this web page)
Cheers, Chris

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
19 May 2024, 11:22
Hi PJ. I am delayed by my lack of energy following a virus attack. I seem to be limited to 30-minute stints in the yard, and that's on days when there's no wind-chill.
Hope you're over the virus. Nasty stuff. Interferes with all sorts of things, like yard work. Or maybe that's a good thing???
ChrisGreaves wrote:
19 May 2024, 11:22
I am a tad better organized this year, with three bins emptied, and my neighbours asking for compost, I should be all-emptied-out before the first truckload of grass clippings arrives.
Cheers, Chris
Sounds like it's time for an update on the old PBS show "Crockett's Victory Garden". Could be called "Chris's Compost & Garden Show".
PJ in (usually sunny) FL