all in a good cause

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

all in a good cause

Post by stuck »

Adverts are not allowed in The Lounge but the Admins have given me permission to post this blatant advertisement.

A UK charity called Beat SCAD has turned four of my photos into greetings cards:
    https://beatscad.org.uk/Shop/Greetings-Cards
I'm afraid I can't get you mates rates on the prices / postal charges and the charity can only ship to UK / Ireland addresses but if any of you can support their cause I will be very grateful.

Why? Simple, last May my wife was the unexpected recipient of a heart attack caused by something you've probably never heard of, a Spontaneous Coronary Artery Dissection (SCAD). Beat SCAD is the only UK charity working to raise awareness of SCAD, support those affected, and raise funds for research into SCAD.

Thanks,

Ken
PS my wife is OK, PM me if you want more details

silverback
5StarLounger

Re: all in a good cause

Post by silverback »

Crikey, that's awful. Best wishes to your wife for a full recovery.
Silverback

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
14 Apr 2024, 11:31
Adverts are not allowed in The Lounge but the Admins have given me permission to post this blatant advertisement.
Ken, my best wishes and thoughts to your wife, you, and your amazingly talented family.

So what about your friend(s) in Newfoundland?

It would seem that we can't receive the cards here, but I'll bet a Penny Postage to a dollar (US or otherwise) that they will take, as an example, Canadian Dollars.

Might you consider setting yourself up as a shipping address and receiving the gift cards as, well, a gift that you can then pass on to ex-workmates, members of the North Yorkshire Brass Band Society, or better yet, to those grand people in Bury (admittedly Lancs) who make the best Black Pudding either side of Singapore?
Best of bestliest wishes
Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
14 Apr 2024, 13:07
...I'll bet a Penny Postage to a dollar (US or otherwise) that they will take, as an example, Canadian Dollars...
You'd hope they would but all the options available via the big 'donate' button in the top right corner of their home page all seem to be £GBP oriented. Hold on while I ask the Trustees how to get non £GBP donations to them.

Ken

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

If they take credit cards, the card issuers should be able to transact in GBP and convert to the currency of the cardholder. Shipping, is another matter. I like Chris' idea but Ken would have to share his address in some way if we were to follow it.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
14 Apr 2024, 18:30
If they take credit cards, the card issuers should be able to transact in GBP and convert to the currency of the cardholder. Shipping, is another matter. I like Chris' idea but Ken would have to share his address in some way if we were to follow it.
Well, Yes. And No.
Hi Bob.
As usual I was deficient in clarity: I thought of placing an order using a credit-card, using a Ken-supplied address (could be mother-in-law if he wants to keep himself off mailing lists) where he can reap the benefits of our largesse.
Ken could then dole out the received cards for free to various people.

It used to be possible to address mail to "Post Restante" and the name of a post office. Or else "To await arrival"
I suppose that for that matter we could use any hotel address within walking distance of Ken and address stuff to him at "The Windsor Arms Hotel".

Assuming, of course, that they have pubs in Yorkshire. :laugh:
Cheers, Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

They have a Just Giving page and also accept donations via PayPal Giving but I don't know how those services work for non £GBP.

Ken

DocAElstein
4StarLounger

Post by DocAElstein »

I am sorry to hear of your wife’s bad luck, Ken.
I had never heard of SCAD. Also I have also always thought of heart attack as a man’s thing, - I am not sure why I thought that, - clearly it’s not, - a quick look suggests it can be a bit mean on the Ladies.
I hope things continue to go OK.
Alan
I seriously don’t ever try to annoy. Maybe I am just the kid that missed being told about the King’s new magic suit, :(

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

stuck wrote:
14 Apr 2024, 20:41
They have a Just Giving page and also accept donations via PayPal Giving but I don't know how those services work for non £GBP...
I now know that if you go to the charity's JustGiving page:
    https://www.justgiving.com/beat-scad
and click on 'Donate' in the top right then you can choose from a small range of currencies in the dropdown next to the amount you wish to give, see screenshot. I hope this helps and if it does BeatSCAD and I are very grateful for your support.

If any of you outside the UK/Ireland want the cards then PM me and we can work something out about the postage.

Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That works! I donated just now. :joy:
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Thank you, that is very kind of you.

Ken

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Post by Graeme »

That's a bit of a shocker Ken.

I hope your wife is feeling ok now.

Regards

Graeme

http://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Hello Ken.

We are holidaying in Queensland just now to catch up with my remaining daughter and grandkids. Just picked up your post. Really sorry to read of your lady's SCAD and trust that she has made a full recovery.
All the very best to you and your family.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.