DELTIC locomotives at the baseball game

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

DELTIC locomotives at the baseball game

Post by ChrisGreaves »

So there I was, tidied up the living-room table and put all my Deltic kit parts, paints, brushes and glue into a box and checked out The Unforgettable José Bautista Bat Flip Inning! on YouTube.
The motion of the flipped bat caught my mind and took me back to physics class with Mr. Puzey.
I remembered the day I learned that one horsepower was defined by James Watt as being 550 ft-lbs per second, and on that day I started marrying Physics with Mathematics (thanks Mr. Feld!)
I whipped out my {t}rusty copy of Excel 2003 and did a quick spreadsheet (attached):-When Bautista hit that seventh-inning home run, about 60,000 fans rose to their feet.
Untitled.png
I estimate the average weight of a baseball fan to be 180 lbs (well, most of them have a beer in one hand and a hot dog in the other hand)
I estimate that when a 72-inch person stands up from a sitting position, they raise the part above their knees the height of the distance from their foot to their knees, about one quarter the height of a 72" person, so eighteen inches.
According to this page, the Deltic engine (and hence the Deltic locomotive) was rated as 3,300 horsepower.

If I've done my sums right, that means that one swipe of the bat generated the energy of about nine powerful(for that time) diesel locomotives.

The game was against a team from somewhere called Texas, so if anyone knows if Texas has diesel locomotives and wants to plug in one of their locomotives, we will have something to discuss.
Cheers, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle