Moon 27/05/23

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Moon 27/05/23

Post by Graeme »

Whilst out the other night chasing the supernova I used the Moon to focus on because it was still too early to focus on stars and captured 100ish 0.000something second exposures. I had a go at stacking them tonight in PixInsight after watching a video how to do it. I didn't know you could do that! The usual way is to record a 1000 or even 2000 frame video, sort the frames for quality (a function of air stillness etc) and stack the best 10% or so. Turned out ok! It was a bit over exposed so I toned it down which made the sky unnaturally dark.

Moon 270523 EL.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

http://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

HansV
Administrator

Re: Moon 27/05/23

Post by HansV »

Great result!
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Graeme wrote:
31 May 2023, 20:18
Moon 270523 EL.jpg
Straight into the Desktop Wallpaper folder! :thankyou: :clapping:

How is PixInsight different from what you were doing? One hundred consecutive images is equivalent to a 100-frame video, Correct?
Were you "stacking" your 10% of the 100-frame video manually, or were you using something other than PixInsight?
Thanks, Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Post by Graeme »

Usually for lunar and planetary people use something like SharpCap which can record video, then the frames of the video can be stacked using AutoStakert or Registax. These use the edge of the target or features on the target to align and stack. PixInsight aligns on stars and since there are none, or only a few dim ones in a lunar or planetary image, the usual PixInsight stacking process can't be used. But then I found a script in PI that can do it. Then, this morning, I found a NINA plugin that can record video, so that's exciting!

http://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/