A green path

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: A green path

Post by BobH »

I think, perhaps, that my daily perusal of Scuttlebutt might be 'Niksen.' But then again, I'm only a very small part Dutch due to my 18th Century ancestor, Simon DeArtsen ( later 'Muricanized' to DeHart).

Is Niksen a homonym for Nixon?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

BobH wrote:
23 May 2023, 19:10
Is Niksen a homonym for Nixon?
Yes, although there are regional differences - in large parts of The Netherlands, the "n" at the end is silent ("nixuh"), while in the north-east, the "e" is almost silent ("nix'n").
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
23 May 2023, 11:27
Walking at a brisk pace in the countryside is not really 'niksen' in my opinion.
So Niksen, like Beauty, is often in the eye of the beholder?
I can see that a strenuous walk - one that elevates the heart rate and/or blood pressure - might not be Niksen, but sitting in a car at a relaxing pace could be argued as Niksen.
Rowing calmly on a placid lake?
Sunbathing on a towel on the back lawn?
Unless like me and Ken you would spend the time worrying about skin-burn?

The other side of the coin is that if you were averse to caffeine, sipping a coffee might not be relaxing, walking with a bad knee would not be relaxing, ...

Cheers, Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Of the things you mention, sunbathing on a towel on the back lawn sounds most like 'niksen'.

But the article is somewhat overblown, it's not as if the Dutch really practice 'niksen' to battle stress.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Over the span of my life of awareness of earthly things beyond my street, 3 things stand out as most pronounced for me:
  • greatly increased population density (world population has tripled in my lifetime)
    increased dependence on motor vehicles
    less time spent at relaxing pastimes.
I think maybe adopting the practices of 'Niksen' as we've discussed them would do wonders for all people everywhere.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs