A new friend, or spot the difference…. How to preserve a piece of Bread?

DocAElstein
4StarLounger

A new friend, or spot the difference…. How to preserve a piece of Bread?

Post by DocAElstein »

Hello, :)

A new friend, or spot the difference… How to preserve a piece of Bread?
(I almost posted this in Cooking, as I have a half serious question as well… )

The last time I went to the local Supermarket some Bread "Baguette" things were on offer. I bought one. They were in brown paper bags so I just picked one up at random.
I was expecting something to eat. I was not expecting a new friend. I can’t bring myself to eat him. I have decide to keep him and give him a nice home with me. In real life it does look very close to a small Bear wrapped in blanket.
My new friend.JPG
If I did get very hungry then it would be a close thing which of these two I might eat first.
Which one shall I eat first.JPG
Does anyone know a good way to preserve a bread thing like this? I think I would like to keep him. But it would be a shame if he went mouldy.

Alan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I seriously don’t ever try to annoy. Maybe I am just the kid that missed being told about the King’s new magic suit, :(

HansV
Administrator

Re: A new friend, or spot the difference…. How to preserve a piece of Bread?

Post by HansV »

Cast it in epoxy resin...

189.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

DocAElstein
4StarLounger

Post by DocAElstein »

Hmm... I'll investigate that , and maybe update in about a year or so… Thx
I seriously don’t ever try to annoy. Maybe I am just the kid that missed being told about the King’s new magic suit, :(

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

If you don't want to encase it in a solid block, you could coat it with a polyurethane varnish.

Ken

DocAElstein
4StarLounger

Post by DocAElstein »

stuck wrote:
02 May 2023, 10:32
… you could coat it with a polyurethane varnish...
Hi Ken,
I tried that with a PumpkinHead a couple of years ago, but it was only a partial success. It seems to have gone completely empty inside, right up to the very outer layer, - maybe something got in and ate it all? I am left there with a very delicate thing like an empty egg shell. It was left outside, so that probably did not help. This one will live inside with me, so maybe that method might work better...
Alan

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

The key to preserving it will be to completely seal it from the air. Encasing it in a block of resin sounds like a sure fire way of doing that.

If you coat it with polyurethane varnish you'll probably need two or three coats to ensure it's fully sealed. Even then if it were to get knocked / bent at some point there's a high chance the varnish will get cracked, even if it doesn't look damaged to the naked eye.

Ken

DocAElstein
4StarLounger

Post by DocAElstein »

I have a lot of good quality solvent based paint and varnish.* So I could probably do a good job.
(* I still have a lot of good stuff from Travis Perkins, ( even ELLIS & EVERARD I think! ), which I brought with me from England, longer ago than I like to remember, and also I bought up cheaply years ago all the good quality solvent based paint that most places here in Germany got rid of many years ago as they mostly all went over to just selling water based rubbish that is pretty well useless for anything other than mineral based walls and a few minor simple jobs indoors )

For the time being I thought of another temporary solution. I just put it in cryogenic storage waiting for the time in the future when Alan’s time and technology is ready to preserve it properly. – It’s in it’s original brown paper bag and wrapped tightly in plastic in the deep freezer.
Sometimes when I have visitors, I will take it out briefly to show them. - It’s a bit like having a rare treasure you keep locked up in a safe and just take it out occasionally for special occasions…

DocAElstein
4StarLounger

Small Fat Dog with short Legs

Post by DocAElstein »

If this does not stop, I will either starve, or get drunk too soon drinking on an empty stomach…
SmallFatDogWithShortLegs.JPG
I think this time it looks like one of those small fat dogs with short legs, … or maybe I will eat him, I have never been too keen on owning a dog as a pet, and we eat other domesticated animals, - I don’t see the difference between eating a cow or a dog. (I remember the brother of my ex Sister in law telling me the story of how they as kids here in Germany, enjoyed eating the Deer that they had happily had as a pet for a couple of years, and he happily tells the story of the bullet he found in it after they shot it and where eating it. I found that a bit perverse, personally, but my morals are a bit unusual I guess, and while I am still here I suppose I should try to integrate, so maybe eating a dog is a good compromise. .
(This is the third time this has happened from 3 purchases!!! Maybe it’s just me, but the second one I also took a picture of, but I can’t post it here openly. If anyone wants to see it via PM, you will understand why I was not too keen on putting that in my mouth either….that also looked like, part of, an animal… )

robertocm
Lounger

Post by robertocm »