calling all "High Winds" experts

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

calling all "High Winds" experts

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Please tell me that this is a typographical error of some sort, and not real advice:-
Potential storm in a decade makes landfall in Western Australia"
Therefore, local authorities warn residents not to tie up all loose objects."
Cheers, Chris :scratch:
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

HansV
Administrator

Re: calling all "High Winds" experts

Post by HansV »

What do you think yourself? :innocent:
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
13 Apr 2023, 19:55
What do you think yourself? :innocent:
Well, here in Bonavista, loose objects that blow into my yard are resources. I end up with all sorts of containers for apple tree seedlings, bits of oily rag, spare timber for garden beds etc, but as far as Exmouth goes, once a loose article goes flying, chances are high that it will not end up in someone's yard, if only because there aren't that many yards in the region.
Port Hedland to Karratha (where a friend of mine taught twenty years ago) is some 238 Km along the coast.
I never got much farther north than Northampton ...
Cheers, Chris

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
13 Apr 2023, 19:32
Please tell me that this is a typographical error of some sort, and not real advice:-
Potential storm in a decade makes landfall in Western Australia"
Therefore, local authorities warn residents not to tie up all loose objects."
Cheers, Chris :scratch:
It's not likely that the advice would be to leave all loose objects where they are, since that could lead to your objects becoming someone else's property, or maybe being launched through your windows.

OTOH, it doesn't seem like a good idea to tie them up (or down) as opposed to putting them in an enclosed place, if possible.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

A glorious example of journalistic excellence, sez I.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Since at the moment the link simply gives me three concentric rotating parts of circles, I can but speculate that they are suggesting that not all loose objects should be tied up (like sand), but simply the ones most likely to become missiles (like wheelie bins).
This leaves open the question of whether string or rope should be tied up also ... :scratch:
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
14 Apr 2023, 03:06
A glorious example of journalistic excellence, sez I.
Bob, what would YOU know about High Winds? You don't live in Oklahoma! :evilgrin: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Cheers, Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:
14 Apr 2023, 08:08
Since at the moment the link simply gives me three concentric rotating parts of circles, I can but speculate that they are suggesting that not all loose objects should be tied up (like sand), but simply the ones most likely to become missiles (like wheelie bins).
This leaves open the question of whether string or rope should be tied up also ... :scratch:
Untitled.png
Sigh!
That's the leading part of the article.
I too get the three competing arcs of circles, but then the web page pops up after about five seconds. The file server is probably in Dieppe, New Brunswick.

Never mind about string or rope - there are tons of that, of the stout non-degradable fishing trawler variety - buried under my lawns.
What about washing lines - a core of twisted steel cable coated in plastic and stretched between a tree and a shed?

Cheers, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

If the writer was a Florida resident, that error would never have been made, much less get past the editor.

Just ask residents of Ft. Myers about the need to tie things down. Although in their case during Ian, entire houses became "loose objects".
PJ in (usually sunny) FL