Now we know why the economy is so bad ...

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Now we know why the economy is so bad ...

Post by ChrisGreaves »

... if they print this sort of stuff in "The Economic Times"
Want to know how to recover deleted and unsaved word documents? Well, if it is what you are looking for, you don’t have to look further.
How to enable MS Word's auto recovery to retrieve saved files?
Go to File.
Choose Options.
Press the Save tab button.
Click AutoRecover info and enter a number next to "minutes" if it is not checked. If you wish to save your work every five minutes, type 5.

True story: Hey Chris!
Me: Yep.
"You know how you are always telling us to make backups of everything?
"Well, could you come down to Oakville ASAP and help us out? We've just lost all our data, so we need to make a backup.

(signed) "I'm glad those days are over" of Bonavista.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Re: Now we know why the economy is so bad ...

Post by Jay Freedman »

Sigh.

DocAElstein
4StarLounger

Post by DocAElstein »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 20:19
True story: Hey Chris!
"You know how you are always telling us to make backups of everything?
"Well, could you come down to Oakville ASAP and help us out? We've just lost all our data, so we need to make a backup.
Lol, that mentality is at the higher levels everywhere, it makes you wonder if the economy should survive as it is! … I got a similar True story: I had a major change in circumstances last summer, so I asked my health insurance people twice on different occasions how that affected me. The shortened versions was ……Mr Elston your insurance with us automatically ends at that date. You will no longer be insured with us. We would be pleased to insure you further if you …. …. etc. etc
I was feeling quite fit and my hernia is behaving very well and well under control with my self made string thong thing, so I thought I would leave it for a while. … Late last year they wrote to me.. Mr Elston, according to a new law xyz passed in 2007, we are obliged to continue your Health insurance after your change in circumstance in June 2022. The uninterrupted Health cover for you is our highest priority, so to insure the best uninterrupted service we will be continuing your Health service from that date. Please fill in the form to allow us to take all the payments from your account for this time that are already due to insure this cover continues without interruption. ….
……We note that you are already longer than 2 months in arrears so are discontinuing all but emergency cover and have charged you at the highest rate, since we had no other information from you. Please pay the 6000 euros immediately

I am at the second warning stage already and am seriously looking forward to when they send the heavy guys around to take my Bus or computers away to pay the Bill…..
I seriously don’t ever try to annoy. Maybe I am just the kid that missed being told about the King’s new magic suit, :(

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Jay Freedman wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 00:34
Sigh.
Same guy, who I'd been doing jobs for since 1988. This was back when some email carriers had a 1MB or 5MB limit on emails:-
Hey Chris!
We're having problems with our documents. They're huge; way too big, can you come down and show me how to make them smaller?
Me: Sure. Let's put on a 1/2 day course and you and five others can learn about it for the same cost.
Nah. Don't think so. I've been using Word for twenty years. I think I've got a pretty good grip [his terms] on Word.
Me: Oh. What's your favorite field code?
What's a Field Code?

I remember this conversation well. It was the last time that we spoke.
Cheers, Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

A classic example of the Dunning–Kruger effect.