Unseasonal Temperatures

BobH
UraniumLounger

Unseasonal Temperatures

Post by BobH »

Is anyone else experiencing temperatures above normal for the season?
Weather 2JAN23.jpg
We dropped down to 10°F in the week before Christmas with daytime highs about 10 degrees below freezing. This only lasted 3 or 4 days before rising again as you can see in the screenshot. We should be in the 50s-60s this time of year, at best.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :cheers:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Re: Unseasonal Temperatures

Post by HansV »

New Year's Eve and New Year's Day were unseasonably mild here, with a high of 16.6°C / 62°F, while the "normal" high is 6.0°C / 43°F. It's back down to more usual temperatures now.
Best wishes,
Hans

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

We've had a few days with a maximum around that temperature (79⁰F is about 26⁰C) - which is around the average.

It's been a very pleasant summer.

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Post by Graeme »

This is our forcast for this week:

AScreenshot 2023-01-03 061657.jpg

Average for January here is between 1°C and 7°C.

2022 was the warmest (including the period of well below zero before Christmas) since records began in the 1800s

Perhaps this year will be the year we do something about it!

Regards

Graeme
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

http://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

DocAElstein
4StarLounger

Post by DocAElstein »

BobH wrote:
02 Jan 2023, 20:36
Is anyone else experiencing temperatures above normal for the season?
Hi.
Yes definitely. I remember last new year was very mild here, and it was again this year, with a few new highest records broken again in a few places in Germany. This despite the fact that 2-3 weeks ago we did have a short very painful cold spell with temperatures which may have been very common here many years ago for longer periods , but we rarely get anymore.

Very worrying.

From my experience here I do think it is some form of climate warming. About 20 years ago I went to a talk from a local mathematician, who had little knowledge of weather and climate, but was asked by a local nature friendly Society to look at a lot of weather data, both official and what they had got from even further back from studying a lot of local history stuff.
His conclusion was that just a minor but increasing average temperature increase was visible, but much more noticeable was an increasing short term extreme fluctuation phenomena. His conclusion was that we would not need to worry too much about hunger caused by droughts or similar problems like ice melting and the resulting see level rise, since the increase in the extremes would likely cause us severe weather extremes that would kill most of us off. It is seriously very worrying. There may be political factors inappropriate to discus here, but I will just say that we have had some serious civil unrest here recently and very extreme radical action taken by younger people worried about their future, trying to shock people into action.
I expect that may not always reach the main stream press world wide. Germany in particular, generally, has a policy of keeping things going in the short term by borrowing money from the next generations. I had better stop this direction of talk as that is getting a bit political.
Instead let me maybe talk more light heartedly about some of my more friendly attempts to shock people into awareness, in the small way that I can: I have managed to wire in the security camera / web cam on my porch into my Avatar. I need to do some more hacking of the forum software to get the resolution up and to refresh it regularly to make it closer to live, but currently you can see me over the new year period on a computer.
I am viewing in my default skin, something I could never have possibly done in the cold winters from 20-30 years ago.

Shocking, View at your own risk.
Spoiler

Alan
I seriously don’t ever try to annoy. Maybe I am just the kid that missed being told about the King’s new magic suit, :(

LineLaline
2StarLounger

Post by LineLaline »

This is all distressing to me.
I moved into this house (city) noticing fewer and fewer birds, and birdsong is almost non-existent.
There are few insects, there are mice though (very cute I must say).
The plants do 'crazy stuff' like budding in inappropriate seasons, and the raspberries are available for dessert until end of November. Some 'Winter plants' they sold as 'seasonal' and 'only for one year' continue to come back every year. I love them, but it's strange. I once told my mother the skies were so empty. The ducks are mostly gone from the canals. The legion of gulls that disapproved of me when I walked up and down the bridge is mostly gone as well. There used to be magpies in the garden, this Summer I every once in a while saw one, sometimes two. The blue tits that used to come and laugh their little heads off every day are gone. I remember one year I counted 13, fresh out of their nests and making their voices heard. Their count dropped over the years. This year: not a single one.
I suppose I always was a worry wart where life and nature is concerned. I remember walking home as a child and boys in front of me ripping off branches from trees, and my heart bleeding because I found it so sad for the trees.

I do appreciate the more political talk, I mean: I don't mind it! But I understand it can be (at this moment a cat tries to hang from a lamp, one moment!) divisive. Some countries have fewer parties to choose from and if there are only few that are big enough to actually have enough voters then the situation is less suitable for a 'let's fix this together' attitude.

What I often notice is that people are into politics for their own personal gain and the gain of their close ones. Politics should be something to make the nations better, to allow people to have a better life, to progress or to at least keep what works well. Not for profit, not for growth. This entire 'growth for the sake of growth' always saddened and frustrated me. A client once told me I should reach more clients and get bigger and grow and I explained that was not my intention; my intention was to help clients well and to do that in a way that I knew would be good, and why should I grow for the sake of growing? He was stumped but then said "But well, to get more clients of course." I didn't want more clients, I had enough clients to have a decent life do the work I loved. I did have another Holy Grail but that's a different story, for later.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
02 Jan 2023, 20:36
Is anyone else experiencing temperatures above normal for the season?Weather 2JAN23.jpg
This Documentary shows events in the UK in December 1963.

In December 1963 I had completed my matriculation exams in Perth WA and was a Junior Postal Officer in the desert town of Southern Cross. The air was so hot that I pedalled around delivering letters for an hour, then spent the rest of the day in air-conditioned comfort (iced water in the little 'fridge) in the PMG's post office, reading books on meteorology.
In January 1963, the highest maximum was 42.8c

Sigh! Those were the days!
Cheers, Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle