Reason #374 for joining Eileen's Lounge

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Reason #374 for joining Eileen's Lounge

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
29 Dec 2022, 14:35
2022_12_20221229_105158.jpgI am busy today, so y'all have about 24 hours to guess the contents of the packgage.
I should add that I am surprised that Bob Archell didn't hazard a guess. After all, he lives only 100Km from Orangeville.
Cheers, Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Ah - didn't I mention Vegemite in your Chris(tmas) Greetings thread?

Yes: here
Best wishes,
Hans

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
30 Dec 2022, 16:03
ChrisGreaves wrote:
29 Dec 2022, 14:35
2022_12_20221229_105158.jpgI am busy today, so y'all have about 24 hours to guess the contents of the packgage.
I should add that I am surprised that Bob Archell didn't hazard a guess. After all, he lives only 100Km from Orangeville.
Cheers, Chris
Now, now Chris … you know that me telling fellow Loungers what it was/is would not be fair :hairout:
Regards,
Bob

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

I don't know why that stuff has a best before date. The stuff never goes off. Australians are the only organisms on earth who eat the stuff. No nasty micro organism could get near the stuff and survive.

And even if some organism from another solar system did actually manage to use it as a growth medium and to massively spoil it, you couldn't tell the difference anyway.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
30 Dec 2022, 16:17
Ah - didn't I mention Vegemite in your Chris(tmas) Greetings thread?
Indeed, yes, you did so, Hans.
:whisper: But it takes a Real Lounge Friend to provide me with enough Vegemite to last me a few years! :evilgrin: :evilgrin:
Cheers, Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobArch2 wrote:
30 Dec 2022, 16:38
Now, now Chris … you know that me telling fellow Loungers what it was/is would not be fair :hairout:
Bob, I quite agree.
But you could, at least, have thrown in a few red herrings ... :evilgrin: :evilgrin:
Cheers, Chris

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Herrings with Vegemite - isn't that taking things a bit far?
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

GeoffW wrote:
30 Dec 2022, 19:19
I don't know why that stuff has a best before date. The stuff never goes off. Australians are the only organisms on earth who eat the stuff. No nasty micro organism could get near the stuff and survive.
2022_12_20221230_131605_HDR.jpg
Bob and I were discussing that. I suggested a half-life of ten years if the seal isn't broken.
The apparent date of February 2023 may just mean that the shipping firm was down to their last couple of dozen jars from their first skidload shipped in 1974?.
But perhaps your fingers slipped and you meant to write "No other nasty micro organism could get near the stuff and survive"?
And even if some organism from another solar system did actually manage to use it as a growth medium and to massively spoil it, you couldn't tell the difference anyway.
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz perhaps? Unless he has been banned from Eileen's Lounge ...

I can't see the stuff spoiling; but just out of curiosity, Geoff, would you be willing to trot into a couple of stores and examine the bottom of a few jars to see what expiry dates are in Australia. Say Cairns, Hobart and Perth, to get a nationwide sample?
Ta ever so!
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
30 Dec 2022, 20:10
Herrings with Vegemite - isn't that taking things a bit far?
Some Newfoundlanders would say "not far enough".
Folks here don't like anything foreign: Jerusalem Artichokes, Vegemite, ...
Cheers, Chris

Amelia43
StarLounger

Post by Amelia43 »

Chris-I will make it my mission in life to inspect the bottom of Vegemite jars on my next supermarket outing. This will provide you with crucial information on a Queensland expiry date.
I found a jar in the frig (as one does) but the expiry date had worn off, and the jar was almost empty- will need to stock up before the next family visit or I will be a family pariah.
Fond memories of toast covered in Vegemite and chopped raw onion as a childhood pick-me-up after a bout of illness. It worked a treat! Or perhaps any lingering pathogenic microorganisms in my body took off in fright.

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

I haven't checked Vegemite expiry dates lately, but I bought a jar of honey at a convenience store the other day. Not only had it been produced over four years ago, I was charged almost double.

I got my money back.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Amelia43 wrote:
31 Dec 2022, 05:35
Chris-I will make it my mission in life to inspect the bottom of Vegemite jars on my next supermarket outing. This will provide you with crucial information on a Queensland expiry date.
Amelia, thank you for Volunteering. No need to go overboard on this one, inspecting every jar though. I would think that up-ending every other jar would be sufficient.
If you find a thin flat key under a jar, try for the east-side bank of lockers at Flinders Street Station. GeoffW might be able to help you out here. Or There.
FWIW I had no idea that Qld had an expiry date, not after it survived Jo.
or I will be a family pariah.
I know, m'dear, I know. How else do you think I ended up in Bonavista?
Fond memories of toast covered in Vegemite and chopped raw onion as a childhood pick-me-up after a bout of illness. It worked a treat! Or perhaps any lingering pathogenic microorganisms in my body took off in fright.
Now this is interesting. I've used Vegemite thinly spread on bread and marg, or as a base for a chunky sandwich. But not allied with Allium.

Cheers Chris :munch:

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

GeoffW wrote:
31 Dec 2022, 09:23
...I was charged almost double.
Hi Geoff. How did you know it was double? Double the current supermarket price? Double what you thought it should cost? Or was it just that they rang up one jar twice?
Cheers, Chris

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

I had a number of items. The server had trouble finding one item on the register, so I asked for a receipt. When I checked it, I found that he had apparently not been able to find honey, so had charged me for honey roasted cashews. $6.75 instead of the marked price of $3.55.

(It was a servo, aka gas station, and they didn't use scanning for their small inventory).

Amelia43
StarLounger

Post by Amelia43 »

Chris- I will look carefully for that thin flat key. May Geoff and I share the spoils?
Queensland currently at no risk of expiring, but there are plenty of expired products on some supermarket shelves.........

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

GeoffW wrote:
31 Dec 2022, 11:52
...so had charged me for honey roasted cashews. $6.75 instead of the marked price of $3.55.
What a nut!
Good for you for staying alert!
Cheers, Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Amelia43 wrote:
31 Dec 2022, 12:11
Chris- I will look carefully for that thin flat key. May Geoff and I share the spoils?
Indeed yes!
But Geoff and I and a few others are of the opinion that Vegemite can never spoil. (A small minority claim it has been spoiled long before it was extruded into the jar)
Remember that Aussies [used to] drink a lot of beer, and fermenting yeast is the name of the game.
Some bright spark hit on the idea of using the dead-yeast-sludge from brewing vats and flogging it for cash(1).
It's hard to spoil dead yeast that has been, essentially, malted!
Queensland currently at no risk of expiring, but there are plenty of expired products on some supermarket shelves...
Ah yes. The old "expiry date" vs. "best use by date".
A pleasant break from "edible" vs. "toxic".
Cheers, Chris
(1) As distinct from Cashews(2)
(2) This footnote inserted so John Gray can segue into either "gesundheit" or "Vegemite surely does stink" C.

LineLaline
2StarLounger

Post by LineLaline »

Amelia43 wrote:
31 Dec 2022, 05:35
Fond memories of toast covered in Vegemite and chopped raw onion as a childhood pick-me-up after a bout of illness.
I have fond memories of being on the train to family Summer holiday in France.
The train stopped to let some more people in close to a small village, as trains can, and sometimes will. It wasn't even a stop, it was 'a field', so this 'stop' was quite the surprise. The surprise, to me, grew into sheer marvel as a person stepped into our compartment. He was an old farmer, dressed in proper countryside French blue.
The farmer smiled sweetly at us and sat down in the only available seat left (there were seven of us and there were eight seats). As he smiled and nodded, he produced an onion which he began to peel. Once the onion was peeled, he conjured up a loaf of bread from under his arm, and took a bite from the bread, followed by a bite of onion. All smiles and nods. A happy man, a sweet man. A man in blue, with an onion and a loaf of bread.

This helped me on the way to really liking raw onion. I have never tried it weeza beetofeh véjameeteh though.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

LineLaline wrote:
31 Dec 2022, 16:58
... I have never tried it weeza beetofeh véjameeteh though.
Ahem!
Mais Alors? :artist:
I always have one or more loaves of home-baked bread on the go. :chef:
I have onions. :oink:
Home-brewed Ginger Beer in wine bottles. :wine:
I speak French. :yep:
Got enough Vegemite to last two people at least six months. :yum:
All I lack is ... :blush:
Cheers, Christophe.
P.S. I think that this be reason #375, so I am, on paper, off-topic as of this post. C

LineLaline
2StarLounger

Post by LineLaline »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
31 Dec 2022, 21:47
Ahem!
Mais Alors? :artist:
I always have one or more loaves of home-baked bread on the go. :chef:
I have onions. :oink:
Home-brewed Ginger Beer in wine bottles. :wine:
I speak French. :yep:
Got enough Vegemite to last two people at least six months. :yum:
All I lack is ... :blush:
Cheers, Christophe.
P.S. I think that this be reason #375, so I am, on paper, off-topic as of this post. C
Hahaha! Well yes, off topic but then again the 'topic' had not been clearly defined and has all sorts of mouse holes to elaborate.
I have never tasted Vegamite and will not until you serve me a home-baked baguette with some oignons and Un Peu de Véjameeteh :laugh:
We over here have something called 'Marmite', is this similar or did I just blaspheme?
Ceci n'est pas une signature.