Keeping your ducks in a row

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Keeping your ducks in a row

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Good to bear in mind. The ABC also has a page, IMNSHO, for those who are interested.
Cheers, Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

My favourite prize this year, as described in New Scientist, was this one...
New Scientist wrote: Alessandro Pluchino, Alessio Emanuele Biondo and Andrea Rapisarda won the Ig Nobel Economics prize for explaining, mathematically, why success most often goes not to the most talented people, but instead to the luckiest. Their study appeared in the journal Advances in Complex Systems. This was the second Ig Nobel awarded to Pluchino and Rapisarda. They and their colleague Cesare Garofalo won the 2010 Management prize for demonstrating mathematically that organisations would become more efficient if they promoted people at random.
Here is the (paywalled) link for those who can access it.
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

That was quite interesting. Hope my gastroenterologist doesn't read the first article and get any ideas.
Regards,
hlewton

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

The church and legal and medical professions are not too different from shamans (witch doctors) in that they all employ mumbo jumbo to cultivate an air of mystery and superiority in those they serve. It has been the case for thousands of years. Governments have tried with mixed success because they lack the constancy exhibited by those other institutions, especially those governments that can by changed by elections.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

BobH wrote:
16 Sep 2022, 18:20
The church and legal and medical professions are not too different from shamans (witch doctors) in that they all employ mumbo jumbo to cultivate an air of mystery and superiority in those they serve.
Legal is something I believe we all have to be aware of. :bash:

Medical, on the other hand, tell you right up front that they "practice" medicine. That should be enough to scare even some sick people away. :boxedin:
Regards,
hlewton