Her Majesty

BobH
UraniumLounger

Her Majesty

Post by BobH »

The Queen is Dead !

Long live the King !

As with most Americans, I have had great respect for Great Britain's Queen and the grace and nobility she displayed throughout a long reign.

Rest in Peace, Your Majesty!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Her Majesty

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
08 Sep 2022, 19:21
The Queen is Dead !
Thank you, Bob.
One of my earliest memories is that, in Denton Manchester, of my sister (older by eighteen months) coming home from school for lunch and telling my parents that the King was dead.
"Nonsense!" said my parents, "Who told you that nonsense?"
"The pliceman on the [pedestrian] crossing", she replied smugly.

My sister had spotted the black armband on the policemen's arm, and demanded to know the why/what and wherefore of the thing.

My mother having turned off the wireless after the ten-to-ten meditation, turned the wireless back on and sure enough, there was the droning confirmation.

Mum and Dad bought us a cardboard coronation set ("place tab A in slot B") to build a gold carriage, six horses etc, and we finished building it in Goodshaw in time to pull it back and forth during the coronation ceremony in 1953.

I am one of those folks for whom Elizabeth Windsor represented the monarchy all my conscious life.

Cheers, Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I was born a few days after King George VI died, so Queen Elizabeth II has been the only British monarch during my lifetime.
The UK is going into an uncertain future without her...
Best wishes,
Hans

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

HansV wrote:
08 Sep 2022, 19:37
The UK is going into an uncertain future without her...
I think there are many, especially in other countries in the Commonwealth, who would no longer regard the English ruler as their head of state had it not been for the respect towards Her Majesty.

I wonder if we would now see Australia, for instance, moving towards becoming a republic.

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Post by Graeme »

RIP HRH

http://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

DocAElstein
4StarLounger

Post by DocAElstein »

I didn't expect her death to hit me that much, but it did a bit. Maybe something deep enrooted in an Englishman.

With all due respect to other world leaders, both past and present, she was something special, partly due to the different times and experiences over her long entire reign. I expect there will never be one like her again.

I feel a small erge to mourn the passing of something, so I cut up an old black sock and have it on my left arm for a few days. I am not sure what I am mourning. Possibly as Geoff said, she held something together that maybe doesn't rationally thinking belong together.
The Commonwealth is something like a marriage in some ways I suppose, something held together by less precisely defined or rational thoughts, like patriotism and love, whether the passing of that is good or bad, I am not sure yet.

Alan
I seriously don’t ever try to annoy. Maybe I am just the kid that missed being told about the King’s new magic suit, :(

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

May she rest in peace and all the best to her son, now the king. Long live King Charles III.
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Many of us in Great Britain do not support the monarchy as an institution, but we still understand that many people feel the death of the Queen very personally.
StuartR

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Post by Graeme »

Many working class geezers, such as myself, don't have a problem with the monarchy. I have more of a problem with middle class greed and lack of probity.

Queen Elizabeth II was truly committed to her role as head of state. I'm sure King Charles III will be equally committed.

Long live the King!

http://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Graeme wrote:
17 Sep 2022, 22:37
I have more of a problem with middle class greed and lack of probity.
Wot about illiterate newspaper headline editors? in all my time in Paris, I didn't realize that some of the skyscrapers were sixty years old.
Untitled.png
cheers, Chris
P.S. It turns out that some of the skyscrapers are, indeed, sixty years old. C.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Graeme wrote:
17 Sep 2022, 22:37
I have more of a problem with
I pointed out, in a conversation with one of my ex-brothers-in-law:-

GP>> (Been a lot going on here, since D.O.M. [death of Monarch], and morning tv has resulted in a snatching of remote .. the left hand chair wants BBC and Right hand chair wants ABC…same on both actually, so it is zero gain)

Yet another good reason for not subscribing to any English-language news podcast, but getting all one's news from SBS Sydney in French, Spanish, and Italian.

News in French: The body of Queen Elizabeth ...
News in Spanish: ... the Second has reached Westminster Hall ...
News in Italian: ... and is lying in state until ...

Bit like a, well, broken record!

I had pointed out an interesting statistic that "For a while there, Liz Truss held the world record for the highest frequency of meetings with different monarchs during her role as Prime Minister. Not even Winnie could beat that!"

Cheers Chris