Calling all USA folkies - massacree ?

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Calling all USA folkies - massacree ?

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I am not yet tired of listening to Arlo Guthries Alice's Restaurant, it has been stored on my smart phone Lo! these past three days.

I have done a web search for "massacree", thinking that Massacree must be a very small town somewhere in Masschusets, if not the USA, but the closest definition that makes sense to me is from Wikitionary, which yields "A bizarre and improbable sequence of events creating great confusion and fuss"

A mass-killing ("massacre") makes no sense to me, excepting in the political context of the song as in not-going-to-war.

Has anyone here any rational explanation of Arlo Guthrie's use of the word "massacree" other than a possibly very small township overlooked by google, or the "bizarre" definition from Wiktionary?

Thanks, Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: Calling all USA folkies - massacree ?

Post by John Gray »

Wikipedia:
Guthrie refers to the incident as a "massacree", a colloquialism originating in the Ozark Mountains that describes "an event so wildly and improbably and baroquely messed up that the results are almost impossible to believe".

This may be pure pop etymology, and it could well have simply been invented by Arlo Guthrie as a Humpty-Dumpty word. (q.v.)
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...