up on t'moors

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

up on t'moors

Post by stuck »

Today's walk was down into and then back up and around the Hole of Horcum. The return path, which is along the ridge to the right in this photo, looks flat but it's actually a long gradual climb.

I soaked in a hot bath after we got home again, to relax my leg muscles.

Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: up on t'moors

Post by HansV »

Beautiful landscape and great skies!
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

At the risk of condoning domestic violence, I have always preferred the narrative that says the Hole of Horcum was created when a giant pick up a clod of earth and threw it at his wife [he missed and the clod of earth became the nearby Blakey Topping] over the geological explanation that it's a huge cavern that collapsed.

Ken

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
02 Apr 2022, 21:07
At the risk of condoning domestic violence, I have always preferred the narrative that says the Hole of Horcum was created when a giant pick up a clod of earth and threw it at his wife [he missed and the clod of earth became the nearby Blakey Topping] over the geological explanation that it's a huge cavern that collapsed.
I agree.
They should have taught more Latin in schools back then.
So someone could have yelled out Cave!
Cheers
Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Nice shot. Lot's of walking to get there!! :grin:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Rudi wrote:
04 Apr 2022, 05:31
Umm, yes, so we we drove there instead :evilgrin: It then took us 2.5hr to walk around the loop: from the car park that's up on the ridge out of the left of the shot, down and along the path along bottom, around the corner in the centre of the photo, still out of shot, back up a gully and out on to the ridge on the right, then back along the ridge, which continues around behind the picture, to reach the car park again.

Ken

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
04 Apr 2022, 18:00
Umm, yes, so we we drove there instead :evilgrin: It then took us 2.5hr to walk around the loop: from the car park that's up on the ridge out of the left of the shot, down and along the path along bottom, around the corner in the centre of the photo, still out of shot, back up a gully and out on to the ridge on the right, then back along the ridge, which continues around behind the picture, to reach the car park again.
Ken, being that you are one of the Lounge's keen photography types, why didn't you take a photo of yourselves walking around the lower loop from the top of the ridge? Without photographic evidence, how can we believe that your actually did all this?
I note with increasing concern the lamentable excuses that everything seemed to be conveniently "out of shot"!
:evilgrin:
Chris

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Chris: I suspect that Ken and hench-walker could easily be spotted and followed on Google Earth Pro in real time, provided he wore an appropriately-distinctive hat (or more locally, flat cap).
If he were to inscribe "Ken" with a sharpie on the top surface, this would make your identification of him even more definitive. :thumbup:
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

John Gray wrote:
04 Apr 2022, 19:24
Chris: I suspect that Ken and hench-walker could easily be spotted and followed on Google Earth Pro in real time, provided he wore an appropriately-distinctive hat (or more locally, flat cap).
If he were to inscribe "Ken" with a sharpie on the top surface, this would make your identification of him even more definitive. :thumbup:
Of course he wore a hat! Nobody in Yorkshire would be seen on the moor Baht 'at.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

stuck wrote:
04 Apr 2022, 18:00
Rudi wrote:
04 Apr 2022, 05:31
Umm, yes, so we we drove there instead :evilgrin:
Ken
LOL! I gathered that part. But a 2.5hr walk is a decent walk and quite a bit of exercise. :clapping:
Regards,
Rudi

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Rudi wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 06:06
LOL! I gathered that part. But a 2.5hr walk is a decent walk and quite a bit of exercise. :clapping:
Piffle! :grin: When I lived in Toronto I did that weekdays, in and out. It was 40 minutes walk up to Yonge & St Clair for the Tuesday lunchtime concert at Deer Park United and 40 minutes back. 25 down to St Andrews and 25 back. MetU was a solid 20 each way.
Then there were the shorter, but more frequent walks to UofT Walter Hall concerts; and my morning walk to RyersonU for a free copy of the Toronto Star ...
(signed)"elderly logician" of Bonavista.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

jonwallace wrote:
04 Apr 2022, 23:02
Of course he wore a hat! Nobody in Yorkshire would be seen on the moor Baht 'at.
:blush: to my shame, I didn't wear a hat.

Ken

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

stuck wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 11:10
jonwallace wrote:
04 Apr 2022, 23:02
:blush: to my shame, I didn't wear a hat.

Ken
shakes head sadly (is there a smiley?)
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 09:32
Rudi wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 06:06
Piffle! :grin: When I lived in Toronto I did that weekdays, in and out. It was 40 minutes walk up to Yonge & St Clair for the Tuesday lunchtime concert at Deer Park United and 40 minutes back. 25 down to St Andrews and 25 back. MetU was a solid 20 each way.
Then there were the shorter, but more frequent walks to UofT Walter Hall concerts; and my morning walk to RyersonU for a free copy of the Toronto Star ...
(signed)"elderly logician" of Bonavista.
My hats off to you Chris. :clapping:
Regards,
Rudi

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Nice image Ken.
I have long term friends in Yorkshire. When first time visiting them many years ago (driving M1 from the South) we stopped for some lunch in a Yorkshire pub. Three locals were nearby and I asked for directions. The result was a lengthy discussion with three different routes proposed. Is it still the same :evilgrin:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

RonH wrote:
06 Apr 2022, 14:09
... I asked for directions. The result was a lengthy discussion with three different routes proposed.
Bill Bryson ("Notes from a small island") would endorse Ron's statement.
Note that is Chapter 1, and he had hardly got started at this point ...
Cheers
Chris
2022_20220406_123148.jpg
2022_20220406_123201.jpg
2022_20220406_123212.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

RonH wrote:
...The result was a lengthy discussion with three different routes proposed. Is it still the same...
Almost certainly. I've not had to ask for directions recently but the extract from Bill Bryson (thanks Chris :thumbup: ) sounds about right and as that quote shows, it's not just a Yorkshire thing :laugh:

Ken

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

RonH wrote:
The result was a lengthy discussion with three different routes proposed. Is it still the same :evilgrin:
Some years ago, we lived for a few years in the south of England. This was a continuing topic of conversation, whenever anybody said that they were going someplace that wasn't just into the centre of London.

The other continuing topic of conversation was comparing the weather with the past. Was the summer of 93 really warmer than this year?

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Post by Graeme »

Surrey to Cornwall. A distance that most Americans would go to get taco.

That's a 5 hour drive. American cars must be very comfortable!

http://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

Graeme wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 20:30
That's a 5 hour drive. American cars must be very comfortable!
There's a saying that the difference between England and Australia is that in Australia, they think that 100 years is a long time. In England, they think that 100km is a long distance.