green and pleasant

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

green and pleasant

Post by stuck »

From the top of the hill.

Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: green and pleasant

Post by HansV »

Lovely summer landscape!
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Lovely
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

It was a lovely summer walk, except the last bit where...
Spoiler
the river was weird
IMG_1147-48_stitch_4web.jpg
:groan:

Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Is it just low on water?
StuartR

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

So . . . weird or weired, eh?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

jstevens
GoldLounger

Post by jstevens »

Spoiler
Is it a dam?
Regards,
John

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

It's the weir on the River Derwent at Kirkham Abbey. Apparently it was built in the 1700s on the site of an early weir of unknown date.

Ken

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
12 Jun 2021, 20:10
So . . . weird or weired, eh?
weird :evilgrin:
Cheers
Chris
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

stuck wrote:
13 Jun 2021, 11:08
It's the weir on the River Derwent at Kirkham Abbey. Apparently it was built in the 1700s on the site of an early weir of unknown date.
So - twice weired!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:
13 Jun 2021, 17:28
So - twice weired!
Or, perhaps, weired for the therd time?
P.S. How does a perfectly innocuous post of a pleasant image of a Sunday afternoon stroll pivot on one of the few words in English which violates the rule "i before e, except after c", and then go on to include the word innocuous?
Cheers
chris

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

As a foreigner at leisure, I would like to inveigle you to realize that this rule is either the height of folly, or else one shouldn't put so much weight on it. Is it a heinous crime to seize a beige heifer? There's a lot more in this vein...
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
13 Jun 2021, 19:53
As a foreigner at leisure, I would like to inveigle you to realize that this rule is either the height of folly, or else one shouldn't put so much weight on it. Is it a heinous crime to seize a beige heifer? There's a lot more in this vein...
very good, Hans! :clapping:

Now try these: agreeing, albeit, atheist, atheists, beige, being, beings, caffeine, canoeing, canoeists, deign, deigned, eight, eighteen, eighth, eighths, eighties, eighty, either, eyeing, feign, feigned, fleeing, foreign, foreigners, forfeited, freeing, freight, freighted, freighter, freighting, height, heightened, heightening, heights, herein, kaleidoscope, leisurely, lightweight, neighborhood, neighborhoods, neighboring, neighbors, neither, outweigh, outweighed, overseeing, overweight, protein, pureeing, refereeing, reigning, reigns, reimbursed, reimbursements, reimburses, reincarnation, reinforced, reinforcements, reinforces, reinforcing, reining, reinstall, reinstalling, reinstate, reinterpret, reintroduce, reinvigorated, reissued, reweighed, seeing, seigneurs, seiner, seize, seized, seizes, seizing, seizures, shoeing, sightseeing, sleighs, sleight, sleights, surfeit, surveillance, their, theirs, therein, unveiled, veil, veiling, veils, vein, veins, weighed, weighing, weighs, weight, weighted, weighting, weights, weird, weirdo, wherein.

I want a full report on my desk at nine o'clock tomorrow morning :cranky:

Managerialy
Chris

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Aren't you missing someone, Chris?
Leif

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

With a surname of Whitfield, I'm glad I wasn't included in Chris's list.

Old MacDonald however both conforms to and deviates from the rule.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
13 Jun 2021, 19:40
..the rule "i before e, except after c"...
The thing is, that rule is invariably misquoted, as exemplified by Chris. It's still not perfect but it does considerably reduce the number of exceptions if you state the rule in full:
    "i before e except after c, if the sound is 'ee' "

Including the extra clause handles words like deign and eight where the sound is not 'ee' but 'ay' (as in bay / hay). Similarly height and sleight, where the sound is not 'ee' but 'eye' (as in buy / try). OK so it doesn't cope with weird, where the sound is 'ee' but that's because it is weird.

Ken

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Leif wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 04:09
Aren't you missing someone, Chris?
Oh Leif, darling, I never knew you cared ... :blush: :blush: :blush:
I have a confession to make: For purposes related to Kevin Stroud's excellent History of English Podcast I collected all 14,000+ DOCuments on my data drive and from them extracted a list of 20,000+ unique words-strings (must contain a vowel, composed only of lower-case alphabetics from the Roman alphabet, etc) and use that lexicon as a base for discovery.
For example I can search for begins/contains/ends with a string and locate all words (in my private lexicon) that match a linguistic rule mentioned by Kevin. Episode 100: Decoding English was my starting-point.
It is by this means easy to locate all word-strings that harbour "ei" and eliminate those that contain "cei".
I am currently looking at the origins of our ("my"!) two-letter words, such as "Hi!". Kevin has already covered "me/my".
Cheers
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 09:47
... if you state the rule in full:     "i before e except after c, if the sound is 'ee' "
Thank you, Ken. I had not hear of that expanded form of the rule.

From the get-go on this little hobby I have longed for a means of measuring "sounds like".
I essayed with various Soundex-like schemes, and went through Word(2003)'s "sounds like (English)" in the Edit,Find dialogue box with no real success. A great many of Kevin's rules need a sound, and not only because, as Kevin points out, "this IS an audio book".
The attached summary gives an indication of the importance of sound in linguistics, and why the spoken language (the vox populi) drives the changes in a language that the written form cannot rein in.
Cheers
Chris

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Oh Chris, (dahling), and anyone else interested...

My name is pronounced the Norwegian way, as if it was spelled 'Lafe', rhyming with 'safe'. However, my Danish stepmother calls me 'Life' because that's the way the Danes say it. Or so I am told... :smile:
Leif

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

GeoffW wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 08:17
With a surname of Whitfield, I'm glad I wasn't included in Chris's list.
Hi Geoff.
I miss you too!
As I replied to Leif, in amassing my Lexicon I discounted capitalised words altogether, reasoning that they were either proper nouns (as in "he is a proper Whitfield, you know!" :evilgrin: ) or else they had made an appearance at the start of a sentence - in which case they would probably turn up as lower-case in this or some other document.
Old MacDonald however both conforms to and deviates from the rule.
OK. I am lost. Do you know something about - OH! Now I get it!! eieio!!! Very good :rofl: :laugh: :cheers:
Cheers
Chris