Power question

silverback
5StarLounger

Power question

Post by silverback »

A just for interest question.
I've just purchased some new electronics. The power cable has a three pin plug at one end and a 'figure of eight' connector at the other.
Given that in the dual flex cable one side must be connected to the live terminal and the other to the neutral in the three pin plug, why doesn't it matter which way round the 'figure of eight ' connector is plugged in to the device?
Silverback

Leif
Administrator

Re: Power question

Post by Leif »

I would guess that your new stuff is double-insulated - Appliance classes - Wikipedia may shed more light on the matter.
Leif

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Far be it from me to antagonize a silverback - I'm old and can no longer run fast enough, but are you certain that it is a figure of eight at the end? I frequently find that the end seems to be a figure of eight but on closer inspection one side is flat which means that it will connect only one way thus maintaining correct polarity.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

"Figure of 8" connectors with 180° rotational symmetry are quite common in the UK. Thank heaven we don't have the infuriating USB type A plugging problem with these!
I don't think I've ever come across one of the flat-sided plugs of which you speak...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

They are fairly common John, see for example https://duckduckgo.com/?q=figure+8+powe ... &ia=images
StuartR

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Yes, the pic is of the type to which I referred. I hadn't thought that it might be a US version. Notice the flat on the near side.
flat sided plug.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

StuartR wrote:
20 May 2021, 23:10
They are fairly common John, see for example https://duckduckgo.com/?q=figure+8+powe ... &ia=images
It shows what a sheltered life I've led!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

John Gray wrote:
21 May 2021, 05:22
It shows what a sheltered life I've led!
Or perhaps an insulated existence?

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

This is all well and good, people, but it doesn't answer my question. Bob's posting just reinforces my puzzlement. If the US puts a flat on one side of a figure of eight connector to make sure it 'goes in the right way', why doesn't it matter which way a UK figure of eight plug is inserted?
Silverback

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

Perhaps it's just a matter of manufacturing convenience for various products. Some products may require the flat connector, and some not - but the same cable can be used for all.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Have a read at https://www.bhg.com/home-improvement/el ... polarized/ for polarized circuits here in the US.

Also for European sockets see https://toughleads.co.uk/pages/european-sockets
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Post by Graeme »

Many appliances now don't require mains AC power so they have a power supply unit in them which is double insulated (as above) and the PSU outputs a DC voltage so the polarity isn't important because the PSU's rectifier ensures that both half cycles of the AC input are used as positive DC.

Regards

Graeme (Sparks R Us Ltd)

http://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/