chillin'

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

chillin'

Post by stuck »

I finished work early today and used the time to finally set up my new hi-fi amp, the one I ordered back in October but, thanks to :ranton: BR :censored: T induced delays :rantoff: didn't show up until Tuesday.

Now I'm relaxing on the sofa as Pink Floyd's 'The Endless River' flows smoothly from the speakers. As my previous amp. was close to 40 years old it's not surprising I'm hearing details I never knew was on this disc :laugh:

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Re: chillin'

Post by HansV »

the old one was from the '80s, eh? It's a wonder it was still functioning...
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

If you're playing Pink Floyd, then you must listen - again - to Clare Torry doing the vocal part on The Great Gig in the Sky from "The Dark Side of the Moon". I've never heard anything like it since 1973... :fanfare:
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

HansV wrote:
26 Feb 2021, 19:37
Most of the time it was a tad unbalanced, with hardly any right channel but once it had been on for a while and everything got warm something would wake up and the right channel would kick in. However even when that happened the treble was extremely lacking in clarity.

I should have replaced it at least 10 years ago.

Ken

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

John Gray wrote:
26 Feb 2021, 19:54
If you're playing Pink Floyd, then you must listen - again - to Clare Torry doing the vocal part on The Great Gig in the Sky from "The Dark Side of the Moon". I've never heard anything like it since 1973... :fanfare:
I'll try that later. The new toy has a Bluetooth input so I can stream the audio from YouTube through it.

Ken

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Post by Rebel »

HansV wrote:
26 Feb 2021, 19:37
It's really quite amazing how good some of the older equipment is. I just recently revived my system (hadn't listened to it for many years . . . . and I'm not sure why) and the first album that I listened to was "Dark Side of the Moon". It was jaw-dropping in the 70's and it's still jaw-dropping now.

I was apprehensive prior to moving all of the old equipment from a now seldom-used recreation room in the basement to our living room on the main floor. I hadn't used the system for several years and I was fearful that some of the capacitors might be leaking, or dampness in the basement might have led to some corrosion, etc. etc.

However, when I fired up the system for the first time just before Christmas . . . . it was MAGNIFICENT :smile: . Back in the 70's, it was considered pretty top notch equipment. I had a Great American Sound Company Thaedra pre-amp, 2 Kenwood L-07MII mono power amps (150 w each) and a pair of Dahlquist DQ10 speakers along with an M&K subwoofer. Technology has improved greatly over the years, but to my ears, the sound produced by this system is still incredible. All of this equipment is from the 60's and 70's (except for a relatively recent CD Player) and I am so happy that it is still functioning properly. I am rediscovering music that I haven't listened to in years. It is now a daily ritual that I set aside a few hours simply to enjoy music again. I'm not sure why I every stopped.
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

stuck wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 16:45
I'll try that later. The new toy has a Bluetooth input so I can stream the audio from YouTube through it.
OK, so it was novel to play The Great Gig in the Sky 'from the cloud' but Bluetooth was never designed to carry hi-fi so it didn't match the experience of it coming from the CD in the player that sits on the next shelf up of the hi-fi rack.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

@Rebel: lovely to hear that (if you'll excuse the pun)
Best wishes,
Hans

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Post by Rebel »

You're excused ! :laugh:
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions