Let's get together for another poll!

Have you ever established face-to-face contact with any other member of Eileen's Lounge?

Never
45%
At least once, yes
55%

Total votes: 20

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Let's get together for another poll!

Post by ChrisGreaves »

PaulB wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 00:50
I had the pleasure of meeting Chris for lunch when he visited Ottawa a few years ago. Chris, the waitress at the Chances 'R' restaurant still asks after you after all these years, you charmer, you.
But please see this post.
Paul, I have the wrong memory in the old head, tell the waitress (assuming that it is my memory that is going and not the waitress's memory).
Ottawa, eh? So I guess that that meeting wasn't an experimental trip on GO Transit. I wonder who that was. :scratch:
Untitled [320x200].png
I do recall driving up and down some hill looking for something or someone and not finding either, then in desperation pulling into a mid-sized mall and deciding to go to a restaurant.
My way in to the restaurant was blocked by a fellow about my age who asked me "Are you Chris" and I responded quietly "No, you must be thinking of someone else, y'Ken" and you, if it was you, looked Stuck, which threw me off balance a little.
I managed to do the switcheroo at the double doors ("No, after YOU"), and was able to give the nod and wink to the greeters (very short black skirt, my memory is sure of that), and things went downhill from there.

Seriously: Tell the staff that I do indeed remember a rollicking good lunch, excellent service, and most important of all, a relaxing meal.
:nostalgically:
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on 14 Dec 2020, 12:27, edited 1 time in total.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 14:15
If I count Eileen's Lounge members only, the number is 18.
Impressive!
If you want to knock the socks off folks, why not say "I once met a member from Bonavista" ?
Cheers
Chris

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 12:20
why not say "I once met a member from Bonavista" ?
Why not? Because he was a member from Toronto at the time... :evilgrin:
Best wishes,
Hans

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 12:08
BobArch2 wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 17:11
Had a very pleasant lunch with the poll-taker at Jack Astor's Bar & Grill a few years back!
That may be, Bob, but I really went there to explore the exquisite beauty of Rural Canada.
And what charming young ladies they were.
I can picture them yet.
Were you, by any chance, the fellow about my age who sat across the table from me and kept trying to obstruct my view of the youngsters?
If so, I would like you to know that after all these years, I am close to forgiving you for that.
Cheers
Chris
YUP, I was trying to obstruct your view to protect the fair young ladies of Pickering! :laugh: Please, do forgive me! :fanfare:
Regards,
Bob

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 12:04
Unless you spent the entire period in Dagenham; I know for a fact that I never ventured that far East while sober.
Cheers
Chris
Not quite Dagenham, but I was a teacher in Harold Wood in the mid 1970s
StuartR

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 12:25
Why not? Because he was a member from Toronto at the time... :evilgrin:
Makes sense.
A great many people hide their identity to hide their past. :evilgrin: :evilgrin:
Cheers
Chris

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 11:59
I now have a vague image of meeting four folk in Toronto, but I cannot place the year or the place.
It was this motley crew, in July 2017.
Motley crew.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Jay Freedman wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 17:25
It was this motley crew, in July 2017.
Ah Yes.
July 2017.
I was trying to use the GO system to explore Southern Ontario in the same manner I explored the Île de France on the Transilean the previous year.
No wonder I worked so hard to forget!
Now please pass on this conversation to your loved ones.

My computer, too, is growing old. All that it has remembered of this momentous occasion is (But please don't tell them this):-

Code: Select all

No sign of Ms Freedman.
Catherine (Freedman) emailed I asked her to phone me after 5pm or email me.
Email from Catherine (Lilith 8, Matty 13) they are home and ate well. 
Now Jay, had YOU visited me I would have typed in at least six lines!

Cheers
Chris

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Actually, I had an evening meal with a group from Woody's a long time ago it seems now so those "handshakes and hugs" don't count. However, Big Al Doc was also supposed to be part of that group but he wasn't able to make it.
A few years after that dinner, hubby and I decided to take a few days vacation in Kentucky and meet with Al. It was a treat! I am going to count him because he was a part of this place! :)
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Skitterbug wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 21:22
Actually, I had an evening meal with a group from Woody's a long time ago it seems now so those "handshakes and hugs" don't count. However, Big Al Doc was also supposed to be part of that group but he wasn't able to make it. A few years after that dinner, hubby and I decided to take a few days vacation in Kentucky and meet with Al. It was a treat! I am going to count him because he was a part of this place! :)
Smart Girl!!
Meeting Big Al face-to-face fits in perfectly with my definition.

By "face-to-face" I mean that you were able to shake hands,or hug, or similar. ... And by "member" I mean a person who has contributed at least once to Eileen's Lounge - not the spouse, partner, parent or offspring.

Now the rest of you will be wondering why I classify this bubble-hairdo youngster as smart. Here's why: Had she NOT glommed onto Big Al, she would have had to fulfill her promise to visit me in my luxurious two-balcony apartment in Markland Woods.

What a weasel!

Cheers
Chris

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Post by Graeme »

Does a face to face Zoom/Teams/Skype video meeting with virtual handshakes and hugs count? If so, I'm still a no to the original question although I wondered if the poll result percentages would change very much.

Also, would it be the case that those that have met others are much more likely to vote in your poll? The Ayes are interesting but the Nos are possibly under-represented!

Regards

Graeme

http://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You're undoubtedly correct.
The group of regular visitors to Scuttlebutt is relatively small, most members only visit the 'serious' forums. The latter probably never think of meeting other members...
Best wishes,
Hans

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Post by Graeme »

Well that's a shame, this is a great place to while away an odd hour! :cheers:

Regards

Graeme

http://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I tried to arrange a meeting with Big Al when I was in Kentucky, but it never happened.
StuartR

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Graeme wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 22:15
Also, would it be the case that those that have met others are much more likely to vote in your poll? The Ayes are interesting but the Nos are possibly under-represented!
Spot On! Graeme.

I suspect that any poll that is is under-controlled is suspect.
An example: A telephone survey that picks numbers at random from a local "yellow pages" type of directory will probably fail to contact those people who mo longer have a landline. Depending on your point of view, these people are either
(a) really smart or
(b) rebel isolationists.

In the specific case of Eileen's Lounge, it is only people with too much time on their hands who dream up these time-wasting stunts :evilgrin:

Now GET BACK TO YOUR :thankyou: GLORIOUS AND WONDERFUL ASTROPHOTOGRAPHY :thankyou: , MY MAN!

Cheers
Chris
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on 15 Dec 2020, 00:16, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Graeme wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 22:35
Well that's a shame, this is a great place to while away an odd hour! :cheers:
Quite so, Graeme.
That is why I check in at 5, 7, 9 and 11 each morning, and 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9 each evening. :threadhead:
Cheers
Chris

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 21:54
Skitterbug wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 21:22
Actually, I had an evening meal with a group from Woody's a long time ago it seems now so those "handshakes and hugs" don't count. However, Big Al Doc was also supposed to be part of that group but he wasn't able to make it. A few years after that dinner, hubby and I decided to take a few days vacation in Kentucky and meet with Al. It was a treat! I am going to count him because he was a part of this place! :)
Smart Girl!!
Meeting Big Al face-to-face fits in perfectly with my definition.

By "face-to-face" I mean that you were able to shake hands,or hug, or similar. ... And by "member" I mean a person who has contributed at least once to Eileen's Lounge - not the spouse, partner, parent or offspring.

Now the rest of you will be wondering why I classify this bubble-hairdo youngster as smart. Here's why: Had she NOT glommed onto Big Al, she would have had to fulfill her promise to visit me in my luxurious two-balcony apartment in Markland Woods.

What a weasel!

Cheers
Chris
You never know.... a visit may still someday happen. Covid has been a big pain to deal with and I'll be glad when it is under control or better yet - eradicated! In the meantime, I do owe some email replies...... I've been unmotivated... but I plan on 'motivating' again soon...! LOL
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Skitterbug wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 23:48
You never know.... a visit may still someday happen.
Let's get together for another stroll!

It's easy:-
  1. Fly Air Canada to St John's (don't worry, on approach to runway 29 it only looks as if they are going to fly into the face of the cliff at Marine Drive)
  2. $30 flat-fee cab ride to Enterprise Car Rental on Kenmount Road.
  3. Two hours drive to Clarenville on the TCH.
  4. Skip both exits to #230 to Bonavista and five KM(1) further on take the #230 exit to Bonavista
  5. Ninety minutes later you crest the rise and see the twin water towers on the far side of the valley. That's Me!
  6. Phone me and I'll put on the kettle.
(1)Ask BobH

Now, a word of caution: Don't be alarmed that the land is not flat. We have mounds of rock (dusted with soil) which we call "hills".
These are a perfectly normal phenomenon in this part of the world.
Also the highways have three lanes. Not two. Not four. Not eighteen. Just three.

That's pretty well it!
Depending on what time of year you arrive, your time taken to drive will be slowed down, either by road works in progress, or by stretches of road that need repairing. We haven't told Google maps about this yet.

Cheers
Chris

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 23:21
In the specific case of Eileen's Lounge, it is only people with too much time on their hands who dream up these time-wasting stunts :evilgrin:
Ah, but in reality it's just a tool to run up your post count and prevent people from doing productive work. :evilgrin:
:cheers:
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 00:40
...the highways have three lanes. Not two. Not four. Not eighteen. Just three.
What in Bonavista is called a highway, the rest of the civilised world* calls a cart track! :grin:

* I am making a hefty assumption here, you realise!
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.