National Observance days

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: National Observance days

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
12 Sep 2020, 00:17
Sounds like the intro to a Newfie joke. Surely the glass can be situated lengthwise on the conveyance, or are you planning to use extra thick glass as well?
In a way it does sound like a "Newfie" joke, but in part it is based on sound economics.
There is a Carpentry Shop which repairs windows, but only customized jobs for Heritage Buildings (an ongoing project here in town). I am living not in a heritage building, but in a decrepit building, so there is no plain glass available for me.

If I decide to glass-up my three dozen or so picture frames (1) and re-display my map collection, a local tradesman would have to order a sheet of glass from ?St John's? and cut it up carefully. (There are no glass trucks, with the centrally-mounted A-frames that i know of. There may be one in St John's, but I'll bet it doesn't do special runs to Bonavista (3.5 hours each way with a sheet of glass?)
There is no "glass shop" as there are sprinkled around Toronto, where you can walk in, ask for a piece 103/8” x 113/8”, and they charge you a flat $10 for a trimmed piece from their pile of scrap.

Like broken car parts nowadays, Windows Contractors don't repair glass; they order up a new bog-standard panel from Kent in Clarenville, which firm has been advertising for an Installer since last November, so you can't go to the firm and have them send someone along for a quote.

I love this town for its relaxed approach to life, but it is hard work learning to slow down to their pace.

These 12 windows will be off-the-shelf casement windows, selected to best-fit the wall space available. And that will depend, as always, on the courage/skill/experience of whichever handyman decides to drop by and give me a quote.

Cheers
Chris
(1) As you will have guessed, there are not many residents who have been accumulating a stack of old picture frames from downtown Toronto in the belief that one day Real Soon Now they will set aside time to sort through their map collection. You want a picture? Head off to Riff's department store and buy one. Or wait for Aunt Ethel to die.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
12 Sep 2020, 00:19
Surely, the 21st should be International Envision Whirled Peas day!
Whirled?
Did you mean Hurled? :puke:
Cheers
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

GeoffW wrote:
12 Sep 2020, 00:30
I'd assume that you'd need energy efficient windows of some sort - double glazed, thick glass or coated, to avoid losing energy when the solar heating isn't available.
Absolutely Correct!
My current (house) windows are double-glazed in a 1950-s style - sliding glass panes whose tracks offer little resistance to Atlantic gales. Last year's profit at Swyers Hardware was based primarily on my purchases of caulking tubes of clear liquid rubber sealant which I applied liberally at every nook and cranny I could locate in all six windows.
Thin-film coating is available here, but my buddy Tom, who somehow represents the industrry, has been having problems with his coating since he put it on, so I am waiting, waiting ...

The shed has casement windows, far better than the house, which are double-glazed kits dropped into the wall of the shed, with a crank to lock an open window in place and a lever to clamp it shut:-
Bonavista_20200912_093329_HDR.JPG
The crank (outlined lower) allows the window to be opened to an angle of up to sixty degrees, and being a worm-and-pinion mechanism, is locked in place. If the wind picks up I crank it closer to the wall to reduce the gusts that sweep through the shed. The lever Outlined at right) helps me to clamp the seal firmly after the crank has rotated the panel into place. Given this year's blizzard, I'd go for a two-foot lever, if they had them.
Casement windows come with either a vertical (L or R) or a horizontal axis. The Horizontals are always show as hinged-at-top and that means you can't have hinged-at-bottom unless you are eight feet tall and can thereby reach the crank and lever.

My tactic is to show the carpenter the hole ("it will be six by ten feet" or "I want it to be as big as possible", and let him/her decide how best to fill the hole with casement windows.
After that I have to buy a sewing machine and learn how to make curtains. Which I hope to complete before I die so that no-one gets to gag on "It's curtains for Chris".
I might even go triple-glazed if I can afford it.
Even in Canberra, which is not as chilly as Bonavista in winter, we regret not having some sort of insulating glass.
I well remember Canberra from a trip there from Newcastle in 1969 or 1970. Frost covering the lawns as far as ... and ice in places. "Cold! If the thermometer had been an inch longer we'd have all frozen to death" (Mark Twain, since you ask).

When I returned to Australia in 1980 I was struck by the chill in Perth. Perth! of all places! Single-glazing, ill-fitting doors, and wood-fueled fireplaces that served to suck what heat there was in the house straight up the chimney!

Here in Bonavista we have perspex panels up in every commercial establishment to keep the pollies happy. I am contemplating buying the perspex at rock-bottom prices when it comes down. In part to build seed-tray parlours, but yesterday I began thinking that clipped to the face of the plastic-siding which covers every house, it would make an effective solar-heating element, the air pockets would be insulating OR the heat trapped would conduct through to the house. Or something. I mean, solar energy into heat energy, right. That's for wintertime.
If the sheet were hinged, then in summer-time the sheet might serve to reflect sunlight (potential heat energy) away from the walls so reducing the heat impact. (I would hinge from the bottom in an attempt to provide more solar energy for my zucchinis, but that's another project).

Cheers
Chris

It seems to me that there are few habitable places in the world that would not benefit from better insulation.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Why didn't you just say plexiglas, you sandgroper! :laugh:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
12 Sep 2020, 18:50
Why didn't you just say plexiglas, you sandgroper! :laugh:
Bob, It all depends on where you were raised, and where you live now.
You should be aware of that, you, of all people.

"It's all a matter of perspextive".
:groan:
Chris

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

"Plexiglas" is a Brand Name for Acrylic sheeting.
Having worked in a glass shop and sold different brands of Acrylic sheeting, one needed to be very carful as to what the customer was referring to.
Plexiglas was at that time about 3 times the cost of any of the other brands, but, quality was at 5 times better than some other.

Yes, it has been accepted in most areas as a generic term.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

Chris,

Just reading my favorite weather blog, EYE ON THE STORM, since we're having such a wonderfully active season (FIVE named storms at the same time!!!!! :flee: :flee: :flee: ), and saw mention of a place you might be familiar with:
Tropical Storm Teddy forms in the central Atlantic
Tropical Storm Teddy, which formed in the central Atlantic on Monday morning, was headed west at 14 mph at 11 a.m. EDT Monday with top sustained winds of 40 mph. Teddy is expected to turn to the northwest on Wednesday, well before reaching the Lesser Antilles Islands.

Conditions for intensification will be very favorable late this week, and Teddy is predicted to be a major hurricane by Friday. Bermuda and Newfoundland, Canada, may potentially be at risk from Teddy.

(from Sally intensifies into a dangerous hurricane.)

Hope there's no real impact. I'd hate should anything damage all the efforts you've put into the beautification of Bonavista. :sad:
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

PJ_in_FL wrote:
15 Sep 2020, 02:27
Just reading my favorite weather blog, EYE ON THE STORM,
Wot!??!!! You don't get enough tales of misery from me about the weather cycle up here?
Hubert (back-fence neighbour) confirmed yesterday that it is Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter and then you get up the next morning and it starts all over again.
Hope there's no real impact. I'd hate should anything damage all the efforts you've put into the beautification of Bonavista. :sad:
I, OTOH, hope there is. I hope that Jacksonville absorbs as much energy (including wind-swept rain) as it has every time I have been there.
Jacksonville_HPIM6719.JPG
Then there will be that much less to bother us up here in Paradise (daily: 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.) :rofl: :laugh:
Cheers
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

It seems a 40 square mile chunk of glacier has broken free; and, no doubt, will show up soon in Bonavista . . . perhaps in time for the hurricane. :fanfare: :fanfare: :flee:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
15 Sep 2020, 19:47
It seems a 40 square mile chunk of glacier has broken free; and, no doubt, will show up soon in Bonavista . . . perhaps in time for the hurricane. :fanfare: :fanfare: :flee:
Yes, we are on "Iceberg Alley", and the first sign of spring here are the flocks of folks who have migrated up from St John's to see what appear to be large chunks of Styrofoam blown offshore from Swyers hardware lumber yard during last night's gale.
This year, what with the virus-like spreading of fear via news channels and pollies, tourism was banned, so spring was heralded instead by vigilante locals taking snapshots of out-of-town registration plates and directing inquiries for cafes in the form of "Head past Mathhew(1) and when you get to the chapel(2) turn right and once you are past Gerry's place(3) park outside the yellow building(4) and you'll be right."

hah!

They ever ask me I can drag out directions to Fran's diner fifty yards west of College and Bay in downtown Toronto to about ten minutes and still only get as far as Saint-Jean-Port Joli!

Cheers
Chris
(1) Matthew Elementary School
(2) The little chapel in one of the town's 16 cemeteries
(3) Gerry! You know Gerry! He runs a commercial sea-urchin harvesting business. HUGE guy ... Grey truck. remember? The one that got buried by the snow plough after this year's blizzard?
(4) Well, yes, there are a few, but I meant the court house, since they put on the new siding.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 13:46
Shouldn't you have posted this on the 28th of September? :evilgrin: S3508.png
Why?
Cheers
Chris

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

:evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin:
Best wishes,
Hans

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
28 Sep 2020, 10:58
HansV wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 13:46
Shouldn't you have posted this on the 28th of September? :evilgrin: S3508.png
Why?
Cheers
Chris
Cue Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions

The author of this book, Mad artist Al Jaffee, retired just this year at age 99. He holds the Guiness world record for the longest serving comic artist.