Any petermen on the forum?

steveh
SilverLounger

Any petermen on the forum?

Post by steveh »

Hi All

When we moved into our building in November 08 the previous tenants left a safe behind. I emailed and asked if they wanted and they said no and gave me the password but I still can't open it, any body have an idea? I have posted a picture below of the controls and the password I was given is

3 Right 2 left 1 Right

I have tried starting from 0 and turning the knob around 3 times back to zero to the right and then selecting 80 and then doing the same for the other 2 numbers but no joy

Hmn, the GIF won't attach and it is only 43.2 KB but I am getting the maximum size allowed message, anyway the safe is a Sentry but the model is no longer shown on the site but it is similar to this link http://www.sentrysafe.com/Products/169/ ... _FIRE-SAFE_" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but the handle and dial are seperate.

Editted: Thanks Leif, JPEG now attached
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by steveh on 09 Sep 2010, 13:30, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin

Leif
Administrator

Re: Any petermen on the forum?

Post by Leif »

I can't help you myself - other than to link to the picture below - but it may be worth searching YouTube for some demo videos on safe-cracking...

( :whisper: It's a .jpg, not a .gif...)
Leif

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Did you read the Owner's Manual PDF (choose from English, French or Spanish, but no Klingon), found from the link you gave?

Later... If you did, you will probably find it refers to a different safe with electronic buttons!
Last edited by John Gray on 09 Sep 2010, 14:38, edited 1 time in total.
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

steveh wrote:...I have tried starting from 0 and turning the knob around 3 times back to zero to the right and then selecting 80 and then doing the same for the other 2 numbers but no joy...
When you turned it right 3 times did you continue turning to the right to select 80?
When you turned left to get the next number did you continue turning left until you got to the correct number?
StuartR

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

steveh wrote:Hi All

When we moved into our building in November 08 the previous tenants left a safe behind. I emailed and asked if they wanted and they said no and gave me the password but I still can't open it, any body have an idea? I have posted a picture below of the controls and the password I was given is

3 Right 2 left 1 Right

I have tried starting from 0 and turning the knob around 3 times back to zero to the right and then selecting 80 and then doing the same for the other 2 numbers but no joy

Hmn, the GIF won't attach and it is only 43.2 KB but I am getting the maximum size allowed message, anyway the safe is a Sentry but the model is no longer shown on the site but it is similar to this link http://www.sentrysafe.com/Products/169/ ... _FIRE-SAFE_" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but the handle and dial are seperate.

Editted: Thanks Leif, JPEG now attached
Most safe combinations require you to either end on a 0 (zero) or 75 (depends on safe setup). In your case, try going left to zero after you've done the 1 right to 70. When you get to zero, turning right once more ought to 'unlock' the combination. On all the safes I've been involved with over the years (mostly on Govt establishments) it doesn't actually matter how many times you turn right to the first number (80 in your case) as long as you end up on it and then only go 34 left twice. If that doesn't produce results I can only suggest you contact manufacturer.
HTH

One other thing you could try if that doesn't work (and assuming you've got the correct numbers!) try 5 right, 4 left, 3 right and then do zero left for two turns, ending with turning the knob to the right - it might just click open!
Regards,
Keith

Catz
StarLounger

Post by Catz »

Have you tried contacting the customer service of the safes manufacture.
The safe must have a serial number that is connected to the original owner.
With that they will verify that the safe has been legally turn over to you and then they might help you open it.
Most quality safe companies will do that service for free.
I obtained a double combination Mosler 6' x 3' x 3' safe from a local bank branch that was closing ten years ago.
(Paid $1 for it).(Same safe brand new was over $7,000).
Took me, eight cases of ST. Paulie Girl beer and seven of my friends to get it back to my house.
Had to call Mosler to find out how to change the combination, which took almost an hour talking to them over the phone.
It was all done for no charge.
Now I have the best gun safe in the neighborhood.
Can't hurt to call them.
(Might be a million dollars that was left in it!) (My safe just had a little dust left in it). :sad:
Good luck.

steveh
SilverLounger

Post by steveh »

Hi All

Thanks for all of the contributions

I have come to the conclusion that I would have made the worlds worst thief :sad: but I suppose the trade off is being pretty good and what I do :evilgrin: even with the codes and everybodies advice I can't open it.

I know the code is right as it was the Directors secretary from the people that left the building that gave it to me but not instructions how to do it but she has now left them and they do not know where she has gone. From all of the suggestions I guess the best bet is to get hold of Sentry for some instructions as Googling does not find anything (yet!!)

If aekyall is still about as he/she seemed to know quite a bit - I followed the instructions but would I always start at 0, for example set knob to 0, turn knob to 80 and then go three times to the right until the third time ends on 80, then go to zero and then to 34 and turn left for 2 times until it is back on 34 etc.

Ta all have a good weekend
Steve
― Benjamin Franklin

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

steveh wrote:...for example set knob to 0, turn knob to 80 and then go three times to the right until the third time ends on 80, then go to zero and then to 34 and turn left for 2 times until it is back on 34 etc.
For the code
3 Right 2 left 1 Right

You should turn the knob to the right, and continue turning it to the right until you reach 80 for the third time. It really doesn't matter where you start for this.
Then starting from 80 turn the knob to the left and continue turning it left until you reach 34 for the second time.
Then starting from 34 turn the knob right until you reach 70

It is important that you are VERY precise, if you turn the knob to 80.5 or 33.5 then it won't work.
StuartR

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

What Stuart said. Follow his instructions to the letter and the safe should open.

I have a Sentry 1250. Same basic safe (the combo dial and handle are reversed, but I'm sure the mechanics are the same). On the initial start, as was mentioned by aekyall, the number of turns does not matter. I usually will spin the dial 4-5 times just to be certain I have cleared any previous activity.

If you have the correct combination, the safe should open right up. Good Luck. HTH
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

As StuartR and Doc W say, you don't need to start from anywhere on the dial in particular, just be sure that you do a minimum of three full turns past 80, ending exactly on 80 and then follow on. I'm no expert, just someone who's had a myriad of problems over the years opening safes (legitimately I hasten to add!!!!!). Some safes can be seriously temperamental if you don't get the number lined up exactly on the line before you start turning the other way to the next number! Safe combination locks also need to be serviced now and again - it's not unknown for internal 'bits and pieces' not to 'drop' or 'move' when they should because they've become gummed up. Good luck!!!
Regards,
Keith

Don Wells
5StarLounger

Post by Don Wells »

Have you tried? https://www.sentrysafe.com/CustomerCare ... ombination
The instructions for operating the combo lock are provided below.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards
Don

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Take the safe to a locksmith along with the combination you were given. They should be able to show you how to use that combination correctly.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

steveh
SilverLounger

Post by steveh »

Don Wells wrote:Have you tried? https://www.sentrysafe.com/CustomerCare ... ombination
Hi Don

Thanks for that, I did not see that on the site, I will have a bash tomorrow when I get into work, today I will return my nitro, bag marked 'swag' and stripey jumper

:smile:
Steve
― Benjamin Franklin

steveh
SilverLounger

Post by steveh »

BobH wrote:Take the safe to a locksmith along with the combination you were given. They should be able to show you how to use that combination correctly.
Cheers Bob

But just trying to wiggle the safe out of the corner I would gues it is about 330 Lbs so I really only want to move it until I know that I can open it!! Good idea though as a last resort because we have a locksmith in twice a year to maintain the security locks around the building, if all else fails I will wait till he comes in November.
Steve
― Benjamin Franklin

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

steveh wrote:
BobH wrote:Take the safe to a locksmith along with the combination you were given. They should be able to show you how to use that combination correctly.
Cheers Bob

But just trying to wiggle the safe out of the corner I would gues it is about 330 Lbs so I really only want to move it until I know that I can open it!! Good idea though as a last resort because we have a locksmith in twice a year to maintain the security locks around the building, if all else fails I will wait till he comes in November.

LOL

Should have asked about the size and weight before making that suggestion.

Sentry make a number of small, portable safes found in households here in the States (perhaps in the UK, too). I mistakenly thought this might have been one of that variety. They have value mostly for fire protection. We keep irreplaceable and difficult to replace documents in ours.

In your case, getting a locksmith in would be a wise choice.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

steveh
SilverLounger

Re: Any petermen on the forum? - Solved

Post by steveh »

Don Wells wrote:Have you tried? https://www.sentrysafe.com/CustomerCare ... ombination
Hi Don

You are the man!! I am now the proud owner of 20 Compaq used super DLT tapes, more Cheyyene CD's than you can shake a stick at and several dozens of keys which do not seem to fit anything, but, and more importantly, I now have a safe to take home that I can lock and unlock - Thanks

Thanks as well to all who contributed
Steve
― Benjamin Franklin

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

steveh wrote:... and more importantly, I now have a safe to take home that I can lock and unlock...
And now we all know the combination, all we need is your address... :evilgrin:
Leif

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Leif wrote:And now we all know the combination, all we need is your address... :evilgrin:
Leif wants this information as the fridge is now overcrowded and he is thinking of moving into your safe.
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

If you rearrange things in the fridge there will be room for the safe as well, then you'd have even more room.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

:laugh:
Best wishes,
Hans